What is a board book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyyschn

Does Board Book specify the content or is the book's physicality or what?

Arisa81

A board book is one of those thick cardboard books for youngsters so they can't rip the pages and all, very durable.

If anyone has more to add please do, I've never really looked closely at these books to study content.

wwwatcher

They are for very young children. They don't have many pages. Probably under ten pages. Some of them don't even have words. Some might only have a word on each page. you might want to check them out at a bookstore.

Faye

Stephanie

Re: Re: What is a board book?

Well-known board books include

Eric Carle's "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"

and

Margaret Wise Brown's "Goodnight Moon".

As you will see in Carle's book, the pages themselves - shortened incrementally as the caterpillar eats - become part of the story.

Many board books are "touch and feel", with a piece of soft cotton (placed within a compressed page) becoming a bunny's fluffy tail, and so on.

You may also find holes used for counting and/or completing an animal (i.e. the child's finger becomes a dog's wagging tail).

--can you tell I've read my fair share?--:grin

cluelessspicycinnamon

Re: Re: What is a board book?

I don't remember the Hungry Caterpillar being a board book, but yeah. Also, sometimes board books are already published books that also have a version for younger readers that are more durable. But yeah, everyone else's descriptions about sum it up.

Tish Davidson

Board books

Goodnight moon was not originally a board book either, although it has been published in a lot of formats over the past 50 years. My understanding is that most board books are proeduced in house.

Status
Not open for further replies.