PDA

View Full Version : Editing Public Signs for Laughs?

Joe270
10-26-2008, 06:48 AM
I know it's wrong, but I've seen some signs lately that have been 'edited' by pranksters and I want to pass them on. I should have taken photos, but I was driving past and didn't really have the time.

Back in the late seventies the 'I (heart symbol) My Great Dane' or some other dog breed. Then National Lampoon offered these stickers that would cover the heart symbol with a red screw. In a matter of months, all those bumper stickers disappeared. (Yeah, I bought some. I only got a couple in place before the vanishing act.)

In that spirit:

All over Vegas we have these corrugated white plastic signs stenciled in red with "We Scoop Dog Poop" and a phone number. Someone went to the trouble of buying the exact same corrugated plastic and has covered the 'Scoop' with 'Eat'.

I passed one many times before I caught it, because it was a street sign just crudely altered with a sharpie. Someone altered 'Phillis' street with an SY in front of it. Okay, so the disease only has on 'L', it still cracks me up.

Of course, I doubt the folks who live on the street find it very funny.

Anybody else seen anything like these?

EdCarroll
10-26-2008, 01:00 PM
My favorite altered sign was in San Francisco. On a standard street sign, someone had appended "unstoned" on the bottom, so that it read NO LEFT TURN unstoned.

kayg
10-26-2008, 01:02 PM
My favorite altered sign was in San Francisco. On a standard street sign, someone had appended "unstoned" on the bottom, so that it read NO LEFT TURN unstoned.
Genius.

dpaterso
10-26-2008, 01:23 PM
SNAP! 2 identical avatars! What did I win?

-Derek

regdog
10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
SNAP! 2 identical avatars! What did I win?

-Derek

Congrats Derek you've won this....
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/pagani-zonda-r-3-big.jpg

No not the car, just the picture of the car

qwerty
10-26-2008, 03:02 PM
This wasn't an altered sign, it was for real and was fixed to scaffolding across the front door of a family planning clinic:

WHILE BUILDING WORK IS TAKING PLACE, PLEASE USE THE REAR ENTRANCE.

Joe270
10-26-2008, 10:36 PM
I wish I had taken a photo of a warning label on a six foot ladder I saw many years ago. It read:

Ensure leg spreaders are locked before mounting.

Wise words to live by.

sunna
10-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, this isn't exactly editing so much as redesigning, but it made me snort coffee through my nose anyway.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc206/sunna7kore/stickmaninperil.jpg

From Archie McPhee's (http://www.mcphee.com/), easily the weirdest site I've visited in the last year or so.

Del
10-26-2008, 11:03 PM
In Virginia there is a tiny...well was tiny...little town called Short Pump that someone lovingly renamed Long Stroke on the road sign.

This same little town had a Tire and Exhaust shop that I so wanted to change to Tired and Exhausted.

As for funny signs...In Ashland, VA the main corner of downtown (downtown was a block and a half long) there was a stop sign, a bus stop sign, and right along with them both was a sign that said NO STOPPING OR STANDING

Del
10-26-2008, 11:05 PM
OH! There was a Toys That Teach store beside a shoe repair shop resulting in a very convincing TOYS THAT TEACH SHOE REPAIR sign.

Williebee
10-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Last week, down the road, some one placed a "Yard Sale" sign in front of a house that a landscaping company had just ripped the "yard" off of.

darrtwish
10-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Last year, as a senior prank they took the C from the March on the opposite side of the sign so that the Literacy test sign now read Cliteracy Test.

Komnena
10-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Army Surplus
Mary Kay

This was at the flea market.

Now Hiring:
Mixed Nuts

cinema
Star Trek:
The Rugrats

Clair Dickson
10-27-2008, 06:02 AM
There's a road around here named Herbst but the T is always spay painted... so it read Herbs. I guess it's funnier if you're high?

At the First Class Auto shop, they had some trouble with, um, burnt out lights. For a long time, the sign read First Ass Auto.

Joe270
10-27-2008, 06:18 AM
In Houston there's a very famous steakhouse called the "Black Angus". The sign is wrought iron letters on a white brick building.

The 'g' has been stolen so many times they finally just painted it onto the brick.

chevbrock
10-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Down the road there is regular alteration to the sign that says "Please reduce Noise". The "I" is rubbed out so it reads "Please reduce Nose".

Then there is the classic alteration of the "form one lane" sign so that it reads, "form one planet".

Darzian
10-27-2008, 08:02 AM
I see this all the time

TO LET -changed to:

TOILET

Pagey's_Girl
10-27-2008, 04:53 PM
The most creative I've seen people get around here is altering the "SPEED LIMIT 30" signs to read "SPEED LIMIT 80."

Kitty Pryde
10-27-2008, 09:38 PM
One of those small restaurant/hotel signs where you stick the letters into the board: "OUR HOSTESS WILL SEAT YOU" rearranged stealthily to read "SOUR HOSTESS WILL EAT YOU".

Joe270
10-27-2008, 10:04 PM
"SOUR HOSTESS WILL EAT YOU".

:roll:

Pagey's_Girl
10-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I saw one today at lunch - someone had removed an "S" from a sign reading "TEACHING YOUTH WORK SKILLS" and rendering it as "TEACHING YOUTH WORK KILLS."

Nivarion
10-27-2008, 10:47 PM
once when i was in seatle i saw a sign that read Roberts Butte, a couple of days later, when driving past the sign againsome one had painted over the E so it read Roberts Butt

Kitrianna
10-27-2008, 11:52 PM
This is a real company here in Brantford. Read both horizontally and vertically (for the first letters at least)

Brantford
Auto
Detailing

That is a shop I am never taking a car to! They emphasize the B.A.D.

benbradley
10-28-2008, 12:29 AM
I have proof that teenagers DO go to the library, as I have a photograph of the local "PUB IC LIBRARY."