well this was stupid

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
so i saw something so stupid on tv today that i have to talk to someone so that i can relax about it.

i rarely get upset about stuff is see on the tube but this took the cake, and the bacon, and the (insert random food object).

i was watching the episode of monster quest (which is already a stupid show, but i enjoy it) on giant spiders. they were hunting a giant tarantula in the amazon, and the Iraqi Camel spider.

now the search for the IRAQI Camel Spider was the one that got me, because the two idiots doing the search were doing it in a state park in TEXAS. and then when they didn't find it, they were also DISAPPOINTED.

this bugged me in a few ways, i mean really disappointed because you didn't find something that lives only in IRAQ while searching in TEXAS. and then, how did the people who do the editing or what ever not catch that?

are people getting stupider, or am i getting smarter?

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I saw a whole five seconds of that while I was in transit from the family room to the kitchen! At first, I thought it was a lobster without a shell.

Good point. If I were looking for an animal, I'd go to the area in which it has been sighted.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
i mean really disappointed because you didn't find something that lives only in IRAQ while searching in TEXAS.

Well, damn it, I guess this explains why I haven't found any hippos here in the Mojave desert.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What you need is an avatar, Nivarion.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
so i saw something so stupid on tv today that i have to talk to someone so that i can relax about it.

i rarely get upset about stuff is see on the tube but this took the cake, and the bacon, and the (insert random food object).

i was watching the episode of monster quest (which is already a stupid show, but i enjoy it) on giant spiders. they were hunting a giant tarantula in the amazon, and the Iraqi Camel spider.

now the search for the IRAQI Camel Spider was the one that got me, because the two idiots doing the search were doing it in a state park in TEXAS. and then when they didn't find it, they were also DISAPPOINTED.

this bugged me in a few ways, i mean really disappointed because you didn't find something that lives only in IRAQ while searching in TEXAS. and then, how did the people who do the editing or what ever not catch that?

are people getting stupider, or am i getting smarter?

The "spider" is called such for that is where it was first found. However, they ARE located in sandy areas of the southwestern US and Mexico. They should have just said "camel spiders". But, reality is that is how people recognize and refer to them (iraqi camel spiders).

And they are not even spiders really:

http://www.camel-spiders.net/

So, mayhap they were NOT so stoopid for referring to it that way - being that is how people tend to recogize what is being referred to.

Christine

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Will, I'm really more concerned with the spider in my garage. My son saw it, and says it was about eight inches across. My wife and daughter only heard it, scrambling among the boxes we haven't unpacked yet piled in the garage. They say it sounded like a rat.

This thing is huge. My son said it looked like a Black Widow, but much larger.

We're going digging for it tomorrow. I am so not looking forward to this.

Of course, the hunt might not happen. If I can find any excuse to get out of it, I'll take it.

I figure I'll find the hippos tonight after enough bourbon. (Refer to the 'drunk thread')

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
I am usually the spider squasher and chaser of mice in my house--can you seal the garage off well enough to bug bomb just in case -- the big spiders I am use to dealing with are wolf spiders--the suckers jump and sometimes come @ you-- lit says they don't but they do:(
Will, I'm really more concerned with the spider in my garage. My son saw it, and says it was about eight inches across. My wife and daughter only heard it, scrambling among the boxes we haven't unpacked yet piled in the garage. They say it sounded like a rat.

This thing is huge. My son said it looked like a Black Widow, but much larger.

We're going digging for it tomorrow. I am so not looking forward to this.

Of course, the hunt might not happen. If I can find any excuse to get out of it, I'll take it.

I figure I'll find the hippos tonight after enough bourbon. (Refer to the 'drunk thread')

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I am usually the spider squasher and chaser of mice in my house--can you seal the garage off well enough to bug bomb just in case -- the big spiders I am use to dealing with are wolf spiders--the suckers jump and sometimes come @ you-- lit says they don't but they do

I don't want to kill it, not until I can identify it. It could be a tarantula, and no way will I kill one of those. They are seriously cool, and they really aren't true spiders. They are arachnids, but they aren't true spiders, and they live up to something like twenty-five years or some such.

Yeah, I kill the Black Widows, we get them by the dozens here. Widows don't absorb poison through their legs, so spraying poison doesn't get 'em. Heh, just wait until it's dark, then they all come out, and blast 'em with 'Yardguard', that kills 'em damn quick.

I HATE wolf spiders. They do jump, and they bite, and they are mean. I stomp 'em.

That said, I like jumping spiders and tarantulas. Odd, yes, but I think it's because they don't spin webs, and hunt as predators rather than ensnare. I've actually enjoy watching jumping spiders, and they are beautiful creatures. I handle jumping spiders, but haven't had the nerve to handle a tarantula. We don't have them here in Vegas, but we do have lots of tarantulas. I get calls from the neighbors to corral them and take them out into the desert, but I have three other guys who do it, also.

I don't know what the hell is in the garage, and it has me cringing.

Last edited:

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
once i woke up in the middle of night and saw a tarantula on my ceiling. i sleep on the top bunk.

yay derailed own thread

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, it's office party, can you really derail a thread in here?

It's hypothetically possible that a derailment could turn serious, at which point someone could derail that.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
So, Bart, are you seriously derailing the current derailment into some serious topic, or are you derailing the derailed part of the thread into another derailment?

Screw it, I'm confused, and I've had a couple drinks after a beer, so I'm cruisin' pretty good right now, and I really don't give a s549. (sorry, can't be bothered with finding the stupid asterisk right now)

Hey, hippos! Cool!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Joe, if I were you I'd burn down the damn garage.

Having said that, I'd wait till morning to make that decision, just in case the cold light of day suggests something better.

-Derek

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Joe, if I were you I'd burn down the damn garage.

Considering the fact that we have an attached three car garage, I'm not thinkin' this is the most prudent course of action.

Still, my wife and daughter have already suggested this idea. My wife has never before agreed with my 'explosives solve everything' theory, but I have carte blanche in this case.

It's bound to get ugly.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm suddenly so very grateful for living where I do....

Me too. Not only do we not have huge freakin' spiders, we get to laugh at the rest of you.

Thanks for brightening my day, guys.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I'm suddenly so very grateful for living where I do....

Yep. I'm going to revisit this thread every time I feel like bitching about 4 feet of snow. Wonderful snow. Nice snow. Lovely spider-killing hostile-climate snow.