Not open for further replies.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
This Craigslist ad made me chuckle:

Looking for an assistant editor for men's magazine. Would prefer Female but will consider all. This would be good training base and would read well on a Resume. This is not a full time job and as well compensation is the training you will get and as well exposure and being published.
If you are not serious about doing this Please do not apply we have had our share of wanna-bee's.
  • Compensation: being published as assistant editor for a magazine
Maybe they would get people who gave the job more priority if they actually paid 'em? I mean, how much commitment are you really going to get for free? (And being as how it's a men's magazine and they prefer a women, and they refer to the "exposure"...well, okay, I don't go there.)

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
ick.... the whole thing sounds weird.
I agree. They will not likely find a non-"wanna-bee" if there is no compensation. And who in the world takes a job for the simple pleasure of doing work for someone else? I would never hire anyone without enough belief in their own personal worth to be paid to do a job.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Craiglist is notoriously overrun with people essentially advertising Jobs you have to work for Free. I marked with capitalization the key phrase. A job you work for free...where I'm from, that's called a intern. Or maybe a co-op employee. Go-fer, or mail delivery, maybe proofreading (obviously the ad poster has issues with punctuation and spelling - always the mark of quality for a magazine) is what an intern does. NOT assistant editor.
Again that's where I'm from, i.e. how things used to be. In these increasingly desperate times some young sucker with a trust fund and no talent at writing articles might bite.

And why so important to have a female assistant editor for a men's magazine? You're right, I don't want to know...

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
There seem to be lots and lots of "employers" out there who think writers should be eternally grateful just for the "experience"--never mind the money.

It kind of makes writing look like "not-quite-a-job." But for being a job not good enough to be compensated for monetarily, there sure are a lot of people demanding employees (albeit free ones)! *rolling eyes*

"Come here, plumber, I need my sink fixed. No, I can't pay you, but you'll get some good experience cleaning my drain!"

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for an assistant editor for men's magazine. Would prefer Female but will consider all. This would be good training base and would read well on a Resume. This is not a full time job and as well compensation is the training you will get and as well exposure and being published.
If you are not serious about doing this Please do not apply we have had our share of wanna-bee's.
Isn't a "wanna-bee" exactly what they are asking for? Someone who wants to do it for the glory? :Shrug:
I hope the editor has a better command of English! Then again, if it's the type of "men's magazine" I am thinking about, the words won't matter :ROFL:

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
A job you work for free...where I'm from, that's called a intern. Or maybe a co-op employee. Go-fer, or mail delivery, maybe proofreading (obviously the ad poster has issues with punctuation and spelling - always the mark of quality for a magazine) is what an intern does. NOT assistant editor.

You are correct, there are perfectly legitimate positions that require internships. But I also agree that they do not come equipped with titles like "assistant editor" and are not posted in such an insulting manner. I think it is the condescending tone of the ad that annoys me so much. As if I was stupid for thinking money was reasonable compensation for work.

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
I do believe the positions for these female assistants are published in the Kama Sutra.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
First (of many) things that made me scoff was the fact that they'd PREFER a female. Strikes me as sexist.

Erm. Shady. Those who agree with anti-discrimination laws need not apply, I guess.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
"Come here, plumber, I need my sink fixed. No, I can't pay you, but you'll get some good experience cleaning my drain!"

FYI, this approach also doesn't work on dentists, electricians, or hookers.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Lordy, lordy, it IS that kind of magazine. Here is their latest ad:

We are looking for an assistant editor would like Female for our mens magazine. If you don't have any issues with nude pictures "very Classy NOT Trashy" we would very much like to talk with you.
Contact us and we will provide our office number for details. YOU MUST CONTACT us once we send out our number. We will NOT DISCUSS any business via impersonal unprofessional emails sorry it's our company policy. Only serious apply

Speaking of unprofessional emails, their own address is a very generically-named Gmail account.

Status
Not open for further replies.