PDA

View Full Version : Looking for old New England expressions

smallthunder
05-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Greetings --
The main character of my novel has grown up in Lenox, Massachusetts (born c. 1880-something). I'm looking for some expressions she -- or her parents -- might use to describe a person's appearance, emotional state, financial state ... actually, any colorful or quaint period-appropriate expression would be useful.
Thanking you in advance --

Medievalist
05-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Greetings --
The main character of my novel has grown up in Lenox, Massachusetts (born c. 1880-something). I'm looking for some expressions she -- or her parents -- might use to describe a person's appearance, emotional state, financial state ... actually, any colorful or quaint period-appropriate expression would be useful.
Thanking you in advance --

Look for the letters of Lousia May Alcott, Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson. Fun reading, and lots of fodder.

Julie Anne
05-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi there,
This time period is one of my faves and I live in Maine.

Two resources that would be very helpful to you are:

"A Midwife's Tale" The Life of Martha Ballard, based on her diary 1785-1812. This is a primary source with interpretation by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. It won a Pulitzer Prize and has been made into a PBS movie.

"Good Wives" Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England 1650-1750. Also by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"Founding Mothers" by Cokie Roberts is a good one too.

Good luck and let us know when it's out! I'd love to read it.

Julie Anne

smallthunder
05-12-2005, 03:22 AM
Thank you, Medievalist & Julie Ann, for the tips -- I wouldn't mind taking a break from writing ... and worrying about agents ... and diving into some good reading, instead.

:Cake: I'll just pour myself a nice cup of tea ... chocolate cake would be nice ... and see if I can find some of those works online.