Looking for old New England expressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings --
The main character of my novel has grown up in Lenox, Massachusetts (born c. 1880-something). I'm looking for some expressions she -- or her parents -- might use to describe a person's appearance, emotional state, financial state ... actually, any colorful or quaint period-appropriate expression would be useful.
Thanking you in advance --

Deleted member 42

smallthunder said:
Greetings --
The main character of my novel has grown up in Lenox, Massachusetts (born c. 1880-something). I'm looking for some expressions she -- or her parents -- might use to describe a person's appearance, emotional state, financial state ... actually, any colorful or quaint period-appropriate expression would be useful.
Thanking you in advance --

Look for the letters of Lousia May Alcott, Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson. Fun reading, and lots of fodder.

Julie Anne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JulieAEason.com
Hi there,
This time period is one of my faves and I live in Maine.

Two resources that would be very helpful to you are:

"A Midwife's Tale" The Life of Martha Ballard, based on her diary 1785-1812. This is a primary source with interpretation by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. It won a Pulitzer Prize and has been made into a PBS movie.

"Good Wives" Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England 1650-1750. Also by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"Founding Mothers" by Cokie Roberts is a good one too.

Good luck and let us know when it's out! I'd love to read it.

Julie Anne

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you, Medievalist & Julie Ann, for the tips -- I wouldn't mind taking a break from writing ... and worrying about agents ... and diving into some good reading, instead.

:Cake: I'll just pour myself a nice cup of tea ... chocolate cake would be nice ... and see if I can find some of those works online.

Status
Not open for further replies.