What are your least favorite words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry Bear

red fish, blue fish
Registered
Reaction score
second star to the right, and straight on till mor
Inspired by the "What are your favorite words?" thread, what are your least favorite words? They can be the ones you see overused in conversations or literature, or simply the ones that just sound so ugly, regardless of any beautiful meaning. Fire away.

Personally, I have something of a vendetta against:

- calf: I'm not quite sure why, but this word bothers me a lot. It doesn't really sound right to me or even fit it's meaning; I feel like it should be some sort of disgusting verb that means to...do something disgusting, I don't know. (She calfed him on the head!)

- dazzle/dazzling/ect: Ever since I picked up that darned Twilight book, I feel like I read this word everywhere (and most of the time in similar context as Meyer used). It makes me want to slightly vomit, and, while before I had something of a passion for this word because of the whole double z thing, I now despise it when used similarly or overused at all.

- snarky: Just say it to yourself. Could there be an uglier sounding word in the world?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
moist - ew. I HATE that word. It's just...gross.

panty/panties - I don't know why. I just have always said underwear - even though that's also kind of an ugly word.

I know there are more...I'll be back...

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
Like, just simply humongous doodads almost inadvertently belched.

All of the above

Kaylee

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
atheist-- when I see it I qringe

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Gee, I've never really had a hatred for a word...just the people who use it weird. Though my husband threatens to pummel anyone who says "gianourmous". Not sure if that's spelled right - a combination of gigantic and enormous. Too bad, I kinda like it. But I'm around 4th graders a lot.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Undulate. I cringe every time I see this word. Annoys me especially when it's overused (*Cough* James Clemens *Cough*). I don't think I've ever used this word and I probably never will.

Zestful. Yuck.

Belch. Gross, weird sounding word.

Belly and Tummy. Is it so hard to say stomach?

Last edited:

Brigis

Registered
Reaction score
Don’t know why but refreshing and delighted always make me cringe.

Clio

In the mind warp pavilion
Registered
Reaction score
The only one that is springing to mind at the moment is bizarre. Not only is it overused in writing and conversation - it is more often than not used incorrectly.

I also have a longstanding aversion to odious.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
The proper terms for male/female sexual parts...and some of the more vulgar ones as well.
For example: vagina....there is NOTHING sexy, or even medically-official sounding about that word...personally, THIS should be on a ballet somewhere for a name-change vote!!

As for the vulgar sexual organs words...well...for us women, they're a whole lot more uber gross then what's used for men.

Bloody conspiracy.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The proper terms for male/female sexual parts...and some of the more vulgar ones as well.
For example: vagina....there is NOTHING sexy, or even medically-official sounding about that word...personally, THIS should be on a ballet somewhere for a name-change vote!!

As for the vulgar sexual organs words...well...for us women, they're a whole lot more uber gross then what's used for men.

Bloody conspiracy.
I would agree... and add that "penis" is one of the funniest words in the language.

If it weren't for euphemisms, I don't think anybody would ever get laid.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Carom. When I was in fifth grade, this "uber-creative" girl used this in a story she wrote. The teacher thought she was just BRILLIANT for having even known this word and extolled her virtues in front of the entire class. I thought that was the stupidest thing ever and I've hated the word ever since. Won't use it.

I don't need $5 words to make MY writing sing, thank you very much. ;)

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Undulate. I cringe every time I see this word. Annoys me especially when it's overused (*Cough* James Clemens *Cough*). I don't think I've ever used this word and I probably never will.

Zestful. Yuck.

Belch. Gross, weird sounding word.

Belly and Tummy. Is it so hard to say stomach?

Funny, I love all of the words above. What I hate (even though it's not really a word) is LOL.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
It's still "guffaw" for me. I don't know why. I just don't think the word sounds like what it's supposed to mean. It sounds more like the sound a donkey might make in distress. Maybe it would be appropriate if the person described laughed like a donkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.