Not open for further replies.

NykeYoung

Whoo! V/A Done!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nykeyoung.livejournal.com
My WIP has multiple personalities.

The first personality takes up the first half of the work and is more childish. The goals placed in front are low-lying jobs and complications, which it goes after episodically and is more built like short stories than a longer novel. It make silly jokes and picks up small things when it goes on the town, but doesn’t always use those things, so it clutters up its apartment and car with its collection.

The other is more serious. It doesn’t skimp along from goal to shallow goal, but puts all its effort into one larger goal. It does make jokes, but it’s less apt to steer a conversation into a joke. It could try to run through as a short novella, but it probably couldn’t get through the day if it didn’t find all the crap that the other personality left around.

One part of me just wants to write the WIP as a novel and submit it like that. Another wants to submit it in short stories/episodes and try to edit it into a fix-up later. A third wants to just submit the first half/personality as short stories, and try to include the second half in the fix-up. I plan to extend the WIP into a series, which is making the third option not feel as good.

A small part of me wants to go around the system and using vanity presses or posting to the internet, but that feels like voting for Bill Richardson for president in the current US election. It’d feel good to have my voice out there, but it wouldn’t be taken seriously and it definitely wouldn’t pay off as much as voting for the guy I hate less.

So, in short, what would you all suggest?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
A small part of me wants to go around the system and using vanity presses or posting to the internet, but that feels like voting for Bill Richardson for president in the current US election. It’d feel good to have my voice out there, but it wouldn’t be taken seriously and it definitely wouldn’t pay off as much as voting for the guy I hate less.

Posting stories on the internet or via a vanity press is a way to get your voice out there, true. Unfortunately, it's not considered a publishing credit. It will be very difficult to get an agent or publisher interested in those works afterward.

My best advice is to polish up those short stories, make them shine, target the right short story markets and start submitting them. If it's difficult to make a novel sale by an unknown, it's even more difficult to sell a collection of shorts by an unknown (without a track record of sales in magazines or newspapers).

If you have your heart set on submitting it as a novel, then do that. There's no easy road or "best choice" among the options you presented. It'll take a lot of work and perseverance, no matter what. Good luck. :)

NykeYoung

Whoo! V/A Done!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nykeyoung.livejournal.com
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I've been thinking the second (Sumbit as short stories), too. I want to a) tell this story and b) make halfway decent money off of it. If I get a publishing credit, it'll be icing on the cake. I don't really care if it's as a novel or as short stories.

The only fear I have (if it's unfounded please tell me) is having to split the set. I keep on seeing in my head one magazine enjoying the first story, and then sending the second to the dark side of the moon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.