question about illustrations and publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cydne

Hi. I've been reading this board for a few months, but have not posted until now.

I'm primarily a technical and business writer, but now I'm helping a client write a children's book. The book is aimed at 4-8 year olds. The format is a small amount of text on each page together with a large illustration. The intent of the story is to teach kids to save their money.

I have two questions. One is how to go about doing the illustrations. One person told me that publishers like to assign their own illustrators, but another said it was best to have them done before trying to publish. I do have an artist in mind who could do the artwork.

I'm also wondering if it would be better to self-publish or to attempt to find a publisher who is interested? If I start sending out query letters, should I ask how they want to handle the illustrations?

I'm very confused as to how to proceed. I'd appreciate any advise anyone could give me. :huh

stormie267

Hi and welcome!
Traditional publishers want to get their own illustrators. They'd rather not see pictures with the manuscript. As for self-publishing, yes, you can have illustrations with your work. But I have to say, I'm not one to put money into getting my book(s) published, which is what you'd have to do with self-publishing.

With a traditional publisher, once they accept your manuscript, then you can discuss ideas for illustrations with the editor.

Arisa81

Regarding the illustrations, publishers do like to assign their own illustrators. The writers job is pretty much just to write, and make sure there is enough there for an illustrator to work with.
But you can't assign your own illustrator.

As for self publishing or not, that is kind of a personal preferance.

Cydne

Hi,
Thank you for your responses. Your advise is well taken and I think I'll recommend that we find a publisher and let them do the art. I'll stick to writing. :thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.