Question about Fondant

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Hi kids :) I'm typically a SFFer but in my off-hours I like to cook and bake. I've been enjoying making cupcakes (my favorite thus far is a tossup between my red velvet cupcakes and my beer cupcakes). I've seen some incredible decorations, and have recently learned that the tool used is fondant.

I've been looking for a video on how fondant is prepared, but I can't find what I want.

I'm not looking for a video for marshmallow fondant. While this looks like a very easy way to make fondant, I'd really rather make it the "original" way (butter, corn syrup, etc).

I'm not looking for a recipe. (I mean, I could be. If you have a good one. But I know how to Google the words "fondant" and "recipe" in the same line and don't want to use you as my search engine.)

The reason I'd like a video is that I've never been instructed in how to cook or bake, and I don't know a lot of the "tips and tricks." For instance, I read about coating the board/pin in sugar to keep the fondant from sticking. Wouldn't have thought of that on my own.

So, if you have an instructional video on making (not using, but making) fondant in your back pocket, or maybe have somewhere a good, detailed description on how to make it, I'd really appreciate it :) I've done a search on AW for fondant and have come up dry.

Thanks for your time!

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya D. ^_^

If you've never used fondant before I don't think making your own fondant is prudent. If you're not sure about the texture, consistency, colour etc, then how are you gonna know what you make is good fondant? Maybe picking up some pre-made fondant (Wilton cake sections in Michael's stores usually have a lot of cake supplies) and experimenting with that will get you more familiar with it before you try it.

If you're looking for instruction on how to roll it out and such, I'm at a loss. I know there are Wilton cake decorating classes but that takes time and $$$. I'll have to think about this, eh?

But for all I know you're a cake and pastry whiz. ^_^ We should get together and make a gingerbread house for the national's next year.
wink.gif

-An

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've never made fondant but a few videos come up if you google "making fondant video". And surprisingly youtube has quite a few techniques for working with it.

After doing some reading on it, it sounds like there are two methods - one is used by professional pastry chefs and is quite labour intensive, the other sounds doable by people with regular ability.

Some info here.
http://www.pastrywiz.com/season/fondant.htm

Good luck, sounds like a fun project.

Last edited:

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Hiya D. ^_^

If you've never used fondant before I don't think making your own fondant is prudent. If you're not sure about the texture, consistency, colour etc, then how are you gonna know what you make is good fondant? Maybe picking up some pre-made fondant (Wilton cake sections in Michael's stores usually have a lot of cake supplies) and experimenting with that will get you more familiar with it before you try it.

This is a very good point. I didn't think about that :) Well, I'll be near a Michael's today, and I've got a cupcake project (pumpkin spice--made 'em last night, and they turned out amazing) so maybe I'll see if I can't get some fondant to make cute little toppers for them!

And I highly doubt I'm a pastry whiz. I've had but one unsuccessful baking attempt (key lime cupcakes--came out ridiculously dense) in the past two years since I started baking, but I haven't tried anything more complicated than cakes (regular and cheese), cookies, and brownies.

I'll let you know if I nail meringue on my first try ;)

I've never made fondant but a few videos come up if you google "making fondant video". And surprisingly youtube has quite a few techniques for working with it.

After doing some reading on it, it sounds like there are two methods - one is used by professional pastry chefs and is quite labour intensive, the other sounds doable by people with regular ability.

Some info here.
http://www.pastrywiz.com/season/fondant.htm

Good luck, sounds like a fun project.

The videos I saw on YouTube all had to do with using marshmallows to make fondant, or how to work with pre-made fondant. But you're right, the super-traditional way (sugar and water) looks very challenging. Yikes!

Thank you both for your responses :)