Snapping necks

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
So, can anyone tell me how hard it actually is? My planned series includes anything from psycho berserker militia warriors to highly trained assassins, and I want to know how people actually do it. Does anyone have any knowledge of this rather nasty subject? Can I have a rather strong woman sneak up on an enemy and wring his neck, or will throat-slitting have to do?

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
If someone didn't know the technique required to snap a neck, they could just squeeze at the big veins in the neck, I've heard that that is the most deadly thing you can do to a person in the neck region short of breaking it. Windpipe is less lethal, apparently.

Of course, the other guy's not gonna stand there and allow someone to block off the blood flow to his brain if he can help it.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I can crack my neck. :) If I were to snap one, however, I'd end up in the pokey! If you get any first hand info. on this one, I'm going to run and hide under my covers.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
I think you can have your Amazon doing anything she wants.
However, if she can handle the mess and has an affinity for edged weapons, slitting the throat is going to work out more believably, I think.
A friend's hubby broke his neck this week flipping his bike. Walked around crabby for two days, freaked out the ER when he went in today. Now he's in a halo. This was C6, mind...perhaps you lethal lady breaks a c-spine higher...

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
No matter how simple they make it look in movies, it takes the combination of strong triceps to ensure you have a firm grip on a slick surface (the head), and very strong biceps to apply the lateral force equivilent to pulling a door away from a person holding it with two hands. Now if the person is drunk, on relaxing drugs, or unconcious, the task as a lot easier.

I agree a choke hold, or driving the nose bone into the brain are a lot faster and easier.

Last edited:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I investigated a motorcycle accident where the rider hit a mailbox that was mounted on a 3-inch pipe. He hit the pipe on the right side of his neck about 2 inches under his ear. It snapped his vertebrae at the same place it gets snapped if you are hanged. He was killed instantly.

This took a considerable amount of force, 180 pounds (him) moving at about 30 MPH, hitting an immoveable object. A killer needs to know the exact spot to apply pressure and be able to apply counter pressure with sufficient force to snap a joint that is built NOT to be broken.

Cutting the throat is easier, but you have to insure you get the carotid artery. Even then the guy might make enough noise to ruin your day. I think Seals are trained to drive the knife down, They clasp their right hand over the opponent's mouth, then strike with their combat knife over the left shoulder, and driving the knife into the heart. This stops the heart, killing him instantly. Your woman would have to be tall and fairly strong to do this.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Maybe we can make a distinction between "snapping necks" and "dislocating the skull from the top of the spinal column with a single powerful wrenching movement"?

-Derek

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
Just have your character rip the head clean off. That way you won't have to worry about anybody saying "Hey! You can't really kill somebody like that!"

And keep in mind that if you slit somebody's throat, it will take time for them to bleed out before they're actually dead.

Clio

In the mind warp pavilion
Registered
Reaction score
Dpaterso wrote:

Maybe we can make a distinction between "snapping necks" and "dislocating the skull from the top of the spinal column with a single powerful wrenching movement"?

A bit OT, but it's Saturday night. D'ya know - I have spent half this week impaling a severed head in my WIP, and making the description as gruesome as poss. Now, I come into this thread where we're all giving each other advice on how to snap necks.

We have a wonderful job, we writers...;) :D Where else could we get away with posts like this?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I have a friend currently in a coma because, during a car accident about two weeks ago his skull was dislocated from the top of his spinal column. Swelling had to come down before they could do anything. Then they did some surgery. But, he's still out.

D? Be assured, no offense/discomfort was taken by your post. Just thought it was relevant to the thread, as in, skull separated doesn't necessarily mean dead.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
D? Be assured, no offense/discomfort was taken by your post. Just thought it was relevant to the thread, as in, skull separated doesn't necessarily mean dead.
Sympathies to your friend, real bad situation. But when deliberately executed, the intention is to twist the spinal cord which is connected to the brain and causes death through severe nervous shock. It's in the How To Kill manual.

Yep, the odd things we writers read and write...

-Derek