Stuff That Annoys You in Conversation...?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm talking to this young lady on the phone, and as it is I'm not much of a phone talker. The conversation has to be really interesting for me to not cut the call short, and initially our conversations were cool, then she gradually started doing this "Giggle at everything you say" thing. Like every word out of my mouth is a joke.

HER: How was your day?
ME: Decent.
HER: *giggle* Decent huh?
ME: ...Yeah, decent, how about yours?
HER: *giggle* My day?
ME: *sigh* Yes, your day, how was it.
HER: It was okay I guess. So what are you doing right now?
ME: Watching television.
HER: *giggle* Really? What are you watching?
ME: ... ... ... Schindler's List.
HER: *giggle*
ME: Oh what the f--?

Drives me nuts. And I'm a person who loves laughter and often goes (too) far out of his way to try and be funny, but for the love of everything that's just too damn much.

Anyway, what bugs you in convo?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
she wants you.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
It bothers me when the person I'm speaking with doesn't pay attention. I know we all get side-tracked at times, with other thoughts on our minds, but can't they make an effort a majority of the time?

There's one particular person in my life who's so wrapped up in her own self-absorption, she can't give a sincere ear. All her responses are "Oh, good!" and "Good for you!" regardless of what you've said, because she doesn't really listen to what you're talking about. Bah!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
HER: How was your day?
ME: Decent.
HER: *giggle* Decent huh?
ME: ...Yeah, decent, how about yours?
HER: *giggle* My day?
ME: *sigh* Yes, your day, how was it.
HER: It was okay I guess. So what are you doing right now?
ME: Watching television.
HER: *giggle* Really? What are you watching?
ME: ... ... ... Schindler's List.
HER: *giggle*
ME: Oh what the f--?

Anyway, what bugs you in convo?

She was either really nervous or somebody was tickling her tootsie with a feather.

I hate hearing you eat. If we're talking, don't eat. Not only is it gross to hear you chomping, but I don't want to wait the ten or so seconds for you to chew and swallow before you answer or respond to the question or conversation.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate giggling in a conversation. I aslo hate...ummm, like, it's like, ummm.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh talk about a derail.....this thread just got steammmmmmy. So, Comp, what turns you on?

haha. Kidding, I'm kidding.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
She definitely wants you, Jcomp. I never got giggly (I'm not the giggly type): but I've seen plenty of my friends do it.

I hate when people who call for help spend every second of the conversation skipping ten steps sideways and backwards from what you're trying to lead them through and farking narrating the fact that they're not listening...THEN bitch to you about how "the system isn't working".

Short version, someone who can't stop and bloody listen for two seconds even though they came to you.

-sunna, very sick of tech support today :)

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
Snoring.

Before we were married, hubby used to call every night at bedtime. One night he'd been out with friends and was pretty lit when he called. It didn't take long for him to start snoring -- into the phone.

What do you do?

FIRST - I realized that this was a perfect time to prove how bad he snores. So I hit the record button on the answering machine and recorded five minutes of it.

THEN, I hung up.

I kept that recording for a few years and played it occasionally to remind him that he was ALMOST perfect - but - not quite.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. She likes you, Jcomp, and was likely nervous. Are there good things about her, things you can focus on until she's over the giggly phase? Are you the least bit flattered, or is it enough to turn you off?

Turn off. I mean, I understand the point about her liking me, I can dig that... but she's 32. If you're 19 and still getting giggly on the phone with a guy, that's one thing, but at 32 I think you're supposed to be at the stage of seducing guys you like in a super-sultry voice. Not fumbling through giggle-fits...

...I'm pretty sure it's written in a handbook somewhere...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Snoring.

Before we were married, hubby used to call every night at bedtime. One night he'd been out with friends and was pretty lit when he called. It didn't take long for him to start snoring -- into the phone.

What do you do?

FIRST - I realized that this was a perfect time to prove how bad he snores. So I hit the record button on the answering machine and recorded five minutes of it.

THEN, I hung up.

I kept that recording for a few years and played it occasionally to remind him that he was ALMOST perfect - but - not quite.

Hil... arious!

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Turn off. I mean, I understand the point about her liking me, I can dig that... but she's 32. If you're 19 and still getting giggly on the phone with a guy, that's one thing, but at 32 I think you're supposed to be at the stage of seducing guys you like in a super-sultry voice. Not fumbling through giggle-fits...

...I'm pretty sure it's written in a handbook somewhere...

Hmm, yeah. You may be right.

*thumbs through that very handbook*

She should have, within the last seven years, graduated to... yep, it's right here... "a certain decorum of sauciness."

:D

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I really dislike that slurping tsk noise when someone is talking to me after they finished eating and cleaning their teeth to get rid of food pieces. Yuck!

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I really dislike when people complain to me about other things I'm doing while on the phone. I'm not a phone person, so I multi-task if I must be on the phone with you. I DO listen, hope I help when things are troubling you, but don't complain about what I'm doing or repeat your horrible situation 12 more times. When you hear a loud sigh or snoring, you lost me. :D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I think the woman was nervous.

I sometimes laugh when I'm nervous.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Nervous laughter after each sentence
You know
Not looking me in the eye/not taking off dark glasses
Interrupting/trying to finish my sentence
lack of wit and charm
arguing for the sake of arguing
bee-essing

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I really dislike when people complain to me about other things I'm doing while on the phone. I'm not a phone person, so I multi-task if I must be on the phone with you. I DO listen, hope I help when things are troubling you, but don't complain about what I'm doing or repeat your horrible situation 12 more times. When you hear a loud sigh or snoring, you lost me. :D

Hey, Train, remind me to write ya a letter instead of phoning. :D

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Most of these things don't bother me. The one that does: when the conversation is not a conversation, but a one-way monologue with me on the listening end. It happens more often than I'd like.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I hate when my husband says "I said" when he's telling a story. He says it repeatedly - I counted something like 30 "I said"s in one conversation.

Oh, and "hot water heater" drives me nuts. It's a water heater, people! If the water was already hot, why the hell would you need a heater? :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
The word 'like' used more than once per sentence. My mother also does this thing where, in the midst of talking to me, she lets me get one word out of a reply then turns away and talks over me to someone else.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
but at 32 I think you're supposed to be at the stage of seducing guys you like in a super-sultry voice.

I don't seduce guys in a super-sultry voice. I talk. I want to know what you have to say, and I want to be able to follow.

Was I just sticking up for myself? God.