For the love of all things, can someone please kill the Saw franchise?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will give a million dollars to anyone who can convince Lionsgate not to go forward with Saw VI, and two million dollars if you can also convince them to remove Saw V from theaters immediately.*

The first movie was interesting and solid, and since then it has rapidly descended into complete asininity. A franchise that had a chance to do something cool and relatively new with the genre has turned into a sad (but, I'll admit, consistently profitable) cash cow, doing its part like further the belief amongst mainstream fans and media that horror fans have no taste, and horror writers don't care about much of anything beyond the body count.

I weep at the knowledge that Saw V is all but guaranteed at least a $30-million on opening weekend.

*Offer invalid to residents of... well... Earth...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've only seen the first one, having suspected that all the sequels would suck monkey butt. I have zero desire to see any of them, and I quite like horror films.

Is there even an actual saw in these movies anymore?

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I will take you up on your offer!* I'm happy to say I have not been bored enough to watch any past the first two.

*Offer to comply contingent upon moon and/or other planet colonization.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only seen the first one, having suspected that all the sequels would suck monkey butt. I have zero desire to see any of them, and I quite like horror films.

Is there even an actual saw in these movies anymore?

You know, I think they still have saws showing up once in a blue amidst the freaking 20-Home-Depot's worth of equipment used to build the traps. The first movie's traps were already pushing it, but you could suspend disbelief enough to buy in.

By the 4th movie the serial killer is slapping together elaborate traps that would take a team of engineers months just to effectively test. I keep waiting for one of these traps to lose a screw and accidentally release the intended victim with no harm done.

"Nice try pal. Maybe next time you'll tighten those bolts a little better. This is what happens when you're building 19 traps at a time. Now I'm gonna go and live a long happy life... maybe look up your sister..."

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Save your million dollars. If you don't like it, don't go see it ;)

Cheers,
Rob

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Problem is, you have to go see it, just to be sure ...

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I like scary, creepy, mysterious and suspenseful.

Torture, evisceration, gore, and jumping out of closets is none of that.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I guess I'm a horror purist. Since the explosion of horrid sequels to good horror flicks in the eighties, gore just doesn't get me any more. I've seen two of the Saw movies and wasn't overwhelmed by either of them.

Now, the original of The Shining---

*shudders*

Still not able to watch that without nightmares. And quite coincidentally, happy 30th birthday to the original Halloween--an iconic horror film if there ever was one.

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
Save your million dollars. If you don't like it, don't go see it ;)

Cheers,
Rob

I will pay someone a million to get them to stop showing full length commercials full of graphic fear and violence during sporting events I am watching with my children!

/rant

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
You know, I think they still have saws showing up once in a blue amidst the freaking 20-Home-Depot's worth of equipment used to build the traps. The first movie's traps were already pushing it, but you could suspend disbelief enough to buy in.

By the 4th movie the serial killer is slapping together elaborate traps that would take a team of engineers months just to effectively test. I keep waiting for one of these traps to lose a screw and accidentally release the intended victim with no harm done.

"Nice try pal. Maybe next time you'll tighten those bolts a little better. This is what happens when you're building 19 traps at a time. Now I'm gonna go and live a long happy life... maybe look up your sister..."

You'll feel dumb when they reveal in Saw VIII - Jigsaw's Christmas Surprise that Jigsaw actually has a workshop with hundreds of dwarves a-la Santa Claus who help him design and test the traps, leading to the franchise culminating Saw IX - Dwarf Union Strike Ruins Saw Franchise.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind gore or torture or mutilation if you do it right. The Saw movies are just taking it to goofy heights, though, while taking themselves far too seriously. They would even be okay as mindless thrillers if they weren't so damn earnest...

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
You'll feel dumb when they reveal in Saw VIII - Jigsaw's Christmas Surprise that Jigsaw actually has a workshop with hundreds of dwarves a-la Santa Claus who help him design and test the traps, leading to the franchise culminating Saw IX - Dwarf Union Strike Ruins Saw Franchise.
Leprechaun vs Saw vs Freddy

You know you want to see it.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind gore or torture or mutilation if you do it right.
I'll amend my previous statement.

I do enjoy a bloodbath, but it has to move the plot, and the victims can't be idiots who walk into a meat grinder.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com

"Darn, maybe I shouldn't have outsourced that part to China."

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Ya gotta love the commerical, which basically states: "If it's Halloween, that means it time for another Saw movie!"

Can you imagine the actors and crew having to list that on their resume? "Yeah, I was second assistant grip on Saw V", or "You know that flick Saw V? I was that one guy who fell into that machine. You know, that one kinda flabby guy. Yeah, him. 'Course I've bulked up since..."

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I like horror movies and I liked the first Saw. Then they just started getting ridiculous. I liked Hostel and I liked parts of the last one. I'm waiting for them to sequel that to death too.