PDA

View Full Version : Say what!?

CaroGirl
10-24-2008, 08:45 PM
I was in NYC last weekend (fabulous city, btw) and at one point found myself standing in a subway station with my map wondering if I was in the right place. A kind local stopped to give some helpful advice. "What you lookin' for?" she questioned. "The Empire State Building?" I said. "You here. You all right. Where you from? Anytime you have trouble, just axe someone. Just axe." And then she was gone. I smiled, all the horror stories about rude or even criminal behaviour among native NYers evaporating from my mind.

Wait a minute. Did she say "axe"? Yes, she did. How odd to my virgin Canadian ears.

What other idiomatic, or even incorrect, mispronunciations exist where you live, or visit?

Cathy C
10-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I had a similar story when I visited there. I was in the subway, trying to find my way to the express shuttle to the Hyatt, and a nice lady noticed me looking cluelessly at the route map (heaven only knows what expression I had on my face! :ROFL:) She not only offered to help me find my way, she TOOK me down another level to where my train was just boarding---missing her own train in the process!

:Hug2: to all you helpful New Yorkers! It's really appreciated by us visitors.

WendyNYC
10-24-2008, 08:57 PM
:Hug2: to all you helpful New Yorkers! It's really appreciated by us visitors.

You're welcome. Now move it, slowpoke!

Kidding. I'm always very helpful.

JoeEkaitis
10-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Endemic to the USA: "cumf-ter-bull" for "comfortable," "Feb-you-air-ee" for "February" and, of course, "guv-uh-ner" for "governor" and "guv-er-mint" for "government."

Yeshanu
10-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Endemic to the USA: "cumf-ter-bull" for "comfortable," "Feb-you-air-ee" for "February" and, of course, "guv-uh-ner" for "governor" and "guv-er-mint" for "government."

Don't forget the infamous and ever-irritating Nuc-u-lar. Arrrgh!

maestrowork
10-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Come to Pittsburgh -- your ears will bleed.

Ray, who's Jung-Iggle T-shirt needs woushed.

Alpha Echo
10-24-2008, 09:13 PM
When I lived in Long Island, I realized that they add "Rs" where there aren't any and take them away where there should be:

For example, the name "Wanda" becomes "Wandar"

"car" becomes "ca"

G's are very pronounced, and o's are...weird....

haha

Alpha Echo
10-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh, I love New York by the way. And they all thought the way I speak is weird.

CaroGirl
10-24-2008, 10:44 PM
We walked past the New Yawk Public Lie-berry, too, and everywhere encountered kindness from the residents. In addition to the subway lady, we got similar kinds of help in at least three separate instances. NYers is good peeps.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-24-2008, 10:52 PM

No. Nonono. It's 'cumfsterbull'; you forgot the 's'.

NeuroFizz
10-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Down 'cher in the souf, you don't take a picture, you take a pitcher. Bless your heart.

And a measure of distance (as for driving) is a "look-see*." You go down there two look-sees and turn left where the Flying A station used to be.

*one look-see is as far as you can see from where you are right now. Two is twice that far.

jannawrites
10-25-2008, 01:59 AM
We live in Missouri (though we don't speak with hick accents like my some of my endearing family does), and two summers ago my husband did (residual Katrina) clean-up work in New Orleans. He was told time and again that he had to slow down, that he spoke too fast and no one could understand him. I thought that pretty interesting. :D

regdog
10-25-2008, 02:15 AM
My friend says sang-wich

sunna
10-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Up heah in Maine we put 'bout five a dem "a" lettaahs in front of an "r" if it's neah the end of the word.

...Ok, that kind of hurt. :)

Also, "bastid" can apply to friend, foe, and any inanimate object you need to move, fix, or acquire. "Howaya" is a greeting among friends. "Buddy" applies to anyone from away, or who is inconveniencing you in some way. "Decent" means hot-damn, that's cool. "Hoss" is a horse.

JoeEkaitis
10-25-2008, 02:57 AM
Come to Pittsburgh -- your ears will bleed.

Ray, who's Jung-Iggle T-shirt needs woushed.I'll put the clothes in the woosher if you'll pick up some jumbo'n 'at.

(Born in McKeesport, lived the first six years of my life in Port Vue.)

Del
10-25-2008, 03:08 AM
I used to have to go to a town called Buena Vista (Bwaena Vista) but the locals all called it (bYOUna Vista). I got yelled at when I pronounced it right...wrong...heck.

Serenity
10-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Yu'inz guys talk weird. Ray's wershin needs done before he reds up his room and heads dan-town. (Western PA, born and raised :D)

TheIT
10-25-2008, 03:25 AM
In the US Midwest, many towns were dubbed with names by the French explorers, but the pronunciation has shifted over the years. Try using proper French pronunciation, and the locals will look at you funny.

Des Plaines, IL = dess plains
Des Moines, IA = de moyn
Marseilles, IL = mar-SAY-ulls

And for proper pronunciation, please, PLEASE, do not pronounce the "s" at the end of "Illinois" (shudder).

MattW
10-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Ray had better not do his worshin in Joisey wooder.

stormie
10-25-2008, 03:30 AM
(Matt, I don't mean to--but I seem to be following you around AW today.:) )

Anyway, yep, NYC is great. We go there at least once a month.

As for "Joisey" we have "earl" for oil and "Tirty-tird and tird street." And "yoots" for youths. Seriously. But it's more north Jersey. I have a friend who's lived "down the Shore" for about twenty years but you can't take that kind of word disfigurement away from him. It's there to stay.

Maryn
10-25-2008, 04:54 PM
When we lived in Austin, the ones that made me the most bonkers were street name pronunciations: Manor is pronounced MAIN-er
Guadalupe is GWODD-uh-LOOP
Pederenales is PER-duh-NAL-ess, with the 'R' in the wrong syllable

Maryn, whose current street name is fully pronounceable

Susie
10-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I dislike when I hear "Tirty-tird and tird," for 33rd & 3rd, or "Booklyn." Not great. :)

JoeEkaitis
10-25-2008, 08:35 PM
In southern California, everyone pronounces the name of the town San Pedro as "San Peedro," so it isn't unusual to hear someone of Latino descent say "Let me call my Uncle Pehdro in San Peedro."

regdog
10-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Ray had better not do his worshin in Joisey wooder.

That is just what I heard when I moved to Jersey from Boston. Drove me nuts or when my teacher pronouced water 'wer-ter' and wash 'wersh'. :Wha:

Darzian
10-25-2008, 09:14 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzz

I was recently attacked by words on the street by a complete stranger for racial reasons.

The funny part? This is my home country. :Shrug: No wonder we've got a war running.

MrWrite
10-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Don't forget the infamous and ever-irritating Nuc-u-lar. Arrrgh!

And al-you-minum. Not aluminium as we say it in England. And of course my pet peeve...to-may-toe.

Just having a bit of fun! :D

Snowstorm
10-25-2008, 10:15 PM
A common one I hear that bugs me is "REEL-uh-ter" for realtor.

regdog
10-26-2008, 01:37 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzz

I was recently attacked by words on the street by a complete stranger for racial reasons.

The funny part? This is my home country. :Shrug: No wonder we've got a war running.

Ouch