PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast.

shawkins
10-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Eggs Benedict

Purists will note that the hollandaise sauce described below is not the traditional French recipe. I'll say in defense of the variation that I've had two friends who went strict vegetarian declare this sauce a vegetable.

For the sauce:
1 stick butter (a.k.a. 1/2 cup, a.k.a. 120 grams)
1/2 cup cream
1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
4 egg yolks
salt to taste

The Other Stuff
3 english muffins
6 slices ham

1 tablespoon vinegar
6 eggs

1. Start the sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the cream. Reduce heat to low. While it's melting, crack the 4 eggs and separate the yolks. (You can just let the white goop slip through your fingers, or use one of those plastic egg separator thingys.) Set the 4 yolks in a bowl for later. The remaining whites can either be discarded or poached.

2. Start poaching the eggs. After years of accidental egg-drop soup, I finally figured out how to do this. Put about 3/4 inch of water in the bottom of a pan. Add salt and a tablespoon of vinegar and bring to a gentle boil. Crack the eggs and gently let them slip into the water. Cook for about 2 minutes and remove with slotted spoon. I usually work in 2 batches of 3 eggs each.

Alternatively, you can achieve much the same result by cracking the eggs into individual coffee cups and microwaving them on medium power for about 2-3 minutes. If you do it this way, make sure to cover the cups with a paper towel because if you don't get the power just right sometimes the eggs pop all over the roof of the microwave.

3. Prep for the hollandaise sauce BEFORE you do the final sauce assembly. Brown the ham slightly. Split and toast the english muffins. Assemble the prepped ingredients (1 muffin half, ham, eggs) on plates. If you've never had eggs benedict before, it's: english muffin (toasted side up), ham on top of that, poached egg on top of that.

4. OK, here's the tricky part. Take your butter + cream mixture that you were just keeping warm and increase heat to medium. Sift in the mustard, add the lemon juice and any salt. The dry mustard tends to clump up, so if you're getting it from one of those spice bottles with a little sifter on top, you're better off just shaking in approximately 1/2 teaspoon.

Stir until smooth and creamy. Heat until hot and steaming but not boiling.

Then, and only then, dump in the egg yolks from step 1. STIR CONSTANTLY. After about 1-2 minutes, the sauce should start to thicken up. When it does, SERVE IMMEDIATELY. If you cook it too long, it will separate.

5. Wave magic wand that eliminates fat and cholesterol from all food over the dishes and serve. I usually serve with steak knives, as the ham can be a little tough to cut through with a fork.

Anybody else got a favorite breakfast?

vixey
10-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Wave magic wand that eliminates fat and cholesterol from all food over the dishes and serve.

I want one of those wands.

You've just made my all-time favorite breakfast! (Except I usually use Knorr's Hollandaise sauce mix - don't cringe.) Now that I have your recipe for the sauce I'm going to try it.
Thanks! (Sorry for not posting another recipe. :) )

jennifer75
10-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Yummm. I love eggs and gray and biscuits and sausage and all that.

truelyana
10-23-2008, 11:29 PM
I don't think I have ever tried this before, if I have I must have not enjoyed it, otherwise I would have remembered it. Different set of ingredients, am not sure I would really enjoy this, as it sounds far too sweet especially for breakfast. Is it?

melaniehoo
10-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Ooh, this is one of our favorite breakfasts but I've never made it at home. Thanks for the recipe!

shawkins
10-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I don't think I have ever tried this before, if I have I must have not enjoyed it, otherwise I would have remembered it. Different set of ingredients, am not sure I would really enjoy this, as it sounds far too sweet especially for breakfast. Is it?

No, it's not sweet at all. Hollandaise sauce is in the same family as mayonnaise, if that tells you anything. It also goes good over steamed asparagus.

Oh, forgot to mention--prep time for the whole shebang is maybe 30 minutes.

If any of you guys try making it, let me know how it goes.

jennontheisland
10-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Hm. I've never used cram in hollandaise before. I do the eggs and butter and wisk in lemon juice diluted with water. I imagine the cream helps stabilize the sauce a bit.

Love Eggs Benny. Try mixing up the part under the egg! Spinach and tomatoes, smoked salmon and asparagus, bacon....mmm....bacon....

*drool*

melaniehoo
10-24-2008, 01:00 AM
... roasted red peppers with feta cheese are my favorite!

truelyana
10-24-2008, 01:00 AM
No, it's not sweet at all. Hollandaise sauce is in the same family as mayonnaise, if that tells you anything. It also goes good over steamed asparagus.

Oh, forgot to mention--prep time for the whole shebang is maybe 30 minutes.

If any of you guys try making it, let me know how it goes.

Wow, that is great. It is a very interesting recipe. Thank you for clarifying. :Hug2: I have never had eggs with mayonnaise before.

vixey
10-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Scott,

I just made your Hollandaise sauce - the first time I've made it from scratch. It worked!!! Everything held together and it was yummy. Next time I might add a dash of hot sauce or a pinch of creole spice.

Thanks!

blacbird
10-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Butter and eggs constitute a vegetable?

caw

shawkins
10-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Butter and eggs constitute a vegetable?

caw

Well, no, of course not--but at the same time yes. It's like the two second rule. You must have worked in a restaurant at some point, right?

ETA: probably i was just being unclear. But I actually do know a couple with whom I've hung out since high school who, upon becoming vegtarian in college, unilaterally declared hollandaise sauce to be a vegetable. Really. And they're not the ovo-lacto-pesci vegeterians, they're the oh-crap-how-am-going-to-get-enough-protein type of vegetarians.

I'm telling you, it's the bomb.

blacbird
10-26-2008, 10:20 AM
I actually do know a couple with whom I've hung out since high school who, upon becoming vegtarian in college, unilaterally declared hollandaise sauce to be a vegetable. Really. And they're not the ovo-lacto-pesci vegeterians, they're the oh-crap-how-am-going-to-get-enough-protein type of vegetarians.

Tell them that steak tartare is a vegetable. These people obviously will believe anything.

caw

TerzaRima
10-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Anybody else got a favorite breakfast?

Eggs in Hell, when I have the time. I never use a recipe.

Heat some olive oil in a pan and throw some chopped onion in--cook until translucent. Then, throw some chopped garlic in--cook for about a minute.

Then pour about 2 cups of pasta sauce in the pan (either jarred or something thawed from your own freezer) along with some chopped basil to taste. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Crack three eggs into the sauce and allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes.

When the eggs are done to your liking, remove them with a slotted spoon; serve on a buttered hunk of sourdough bread and heap the sauce over the whole affair.

cooeedownunder
10-27-2008, 06:57 AM
I can't get past bacon and eggs.