PDA

View Full Version : Potential Oops in Partial Send Out

MatchmakerJane
10-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I had an agent request my partial on Monday. In my delirious state of excitement I did not change the subject line to "Requested Materials" and simply replied to the email.

Should I be concerned about it getting lost?

I'm wondering if I should re-send or wait a few weeks and follow up.

Thanks in advance.

Kasey Mackenzie
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. I don't think I ever changed the subject line in my emails when agents requested partials or fulls via email, just replied to their email to me. I wound up with two agent offers via emailed fulls, so I don't think it worked against me! I think that, especially if you send it soon after they request it, they're expecting it so it doesn't matter that you didn't change the subject line.

Of course, if the amount of time they list as their response time for partials goes by and you hear nothing, it's perfectly acceptable to go ahead and status query just to make sure they got your partial.

Good luck!

IceCreamEmpress
10-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Resend it, say that you've had some concerns about whether email is getting through, and leave it at that.

Put: REQUESTED MATERIALS: RESENT

and head up your cover note with: "I just wanted to resend this because I've had some concerns about email not going through."

MatchmakerJane
10-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Thank you to both of you. I think I'm going to take IceCream's advice just to put my mind at ease. I would hate to end up in a SPAM folder and found months later.

Thanks again

MsGneiss
10-23-2008, 10:28 PM
MatchmakerJane - I wouldn't resend it. If your email had a "Re: subject line" in the subject, it will not get marked as spam, I am pretty sure of that. Of course, if you want to put your mind at ease, go ahead and resend, but I think it's not necessary! Congrats on the partial!

reenkam
10-23-2008, 10:50 PM
I've never changed the subject line when sending things to agents and I've never had an agent not respond to me.

MsGneiss
10-23-2008, 10:55 PM
It was my understanding that the "requested material" was only necessary on snail mail submissions anyway. Still, I wouldn't worry about it.

IceCreamEmpress
10-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Resending carries no risk at all; not resending might cost MatchmakerJane some anxiety. So the cost/benefit ratio argues for resending.

MatchmakerJane
10-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Yup. You nailed it IceCream.

I've read so many stories on this board about people landing in SPAM filters and having their stuff lost for months. Plus, I know a lot of agents delete emails that carry a "query" subject line and an attachment. It wasn't worth the risk to me and i figure if nothing else it shows that I'm thorough.

Julie Worth
10-23-2008, 11:54 PM
I had an agent request my partial on Monday. In my delirious state of excitement I did not change the subject line to "Requested Materials" and simply replied to the email.

Should I be concerned about it getting lost?

No, don't be worried. I've never heard of using "requested materials" on the subject line; that is only for snail mail. If they asked you to do that, that's one thing, otherwise, let it go.

Danthia
10-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Agents know who they request stuff from. And plenty of people put "requested materials" on their letters even when they aren't, so those are often ignored.

Do what eases your mind ;) Both are acceptable.