PDA

View Full Version : Calling cat owners

wombat
10-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm writing a piece on the things cats would rather play with than the toys you can buy. Cardboard boxes, paper bags, the tops to milk jugs, twisty ties... if you have a cat, you know what I mean.

Does your cat have a fondness for a unique found toy? Or do you have a funny story or witty remark about your cat's use of the usual ones? Post your story here so we can all be entertained - I'll PM for your info if I think I can use it.

Alpha Echo
10-23-2008, 05:54 PM
My cat used to play with his poop. I'm not kidding. I'd catch him batting pieces of it around. I HATED that. Man did I hate that. I'm not sure how he grew out of the habit, but he no longer does that.

This is weird, though it's not something he plays with - he likes to bury himself underneath the blankets. I'll find him sleeping underneath the comforter in our guest bedroom, or if he sleeps on our bed, he sleeps against my legs underneath our blankets. Very odd.

But I love him. :)

Bubastes
10-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Boxes, definitely boxes. And champagne corks. One of my cats loves to play in the sink too -- she waits for me to turn on the faucet and plays with the drips.

By the way, I think you should change the title of the thread to "Calling all people owned by cats." :D

donroc
10-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Wine corks too. One our cats went crazy over uncooked corncobs.

Chase
10-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't know if this falls in the catagory of "play," but I've been owned by several purebred Siamese, and most will stop when encountering a long electrical cord, rope, or hose and seriously slap down on it--several times, until satisfied it's "dead."

Most have heard that Siamese were ancient palace guards in Siam, but what can a cat guard against?

Snakes, I'm told. They smack the snake's body so that it'll raise its head, then they go into aggressive/defensive tactics that include high springs into the air, more slaps, and the seizing of the snake by its throat when opportunity arises.

With two or three of my Siamese, if I move the cord/rope/hose, then these slaps and acrobatics go on until the cat realizes it's not a snake. Funny and instructive.

Kathie Freeman
10-23-2008, 06:46 PM
One of my cats stole the dropper top from his empty medicine bottle and played with that for months. Another adopted a soft pink pig eraser and played "fetch" with it until it was lost.

ChaosTitan
10-23-2008, 06:51 PM
I had a cat ten years ago who used to play fetch with a magnet.

It was a plain magnet piece, about the size of a quarter, with a hole in the center. For no reason at all one day, I decided to tie a four-foot long piece of red lace to around the magnet. I started swinging it, and Tigger started jumping. I'd drag it along the floor and he'd chase after me, desperate to catch it.

Then he started dragging it around the house, little red lace trailing behind him. So I picked it up one day and tossed it down the hallway. He chased after and came back with it. I threw it again. He retrieved it. It was our favorite toy for a lot of years. It was buried with him when he died.

Barb D
10-23-2008, 08:07 PM
One of mine loves to play with beads. And we have lots of them with a crafty 8yo girl in the house. You wouldn't believe how noisy they are on a wood floor.

Puma
10-23-2008, 08:10 PM
The light spot on the wall/floor/cabinets from the sun's reflection off my wristwatch. Really funny to be doing dishes and hear smack, smack, smack as the cat chases the light on the wall across the room from where I'm standing.

Insects that manage to get in - moths, june bugs, wasps (although the wasps frequently deliver a fat lip or appendage before the cat does them in).

Milk jug tops. It's just about a matter of you name and one of cats will play with it. Puma

DeleyanLee
10-23-2008, 08:22 PM
We had a cat whose favorite toy was the dogs. The golden lab was a jungle gym (yes, he totally just laid there for the cat to climb on him, hang off his head, etc). The funniest thing was when we'd call the dog and he'd come in with the cat still hanging off the side of his face.

Same cat would also play with my mixed breed dog. He (cat) would come up and soft-paw THWAP her (dog) on the muzzle until she'd chase him around the house. Then she'd catch him, roll him over and mouth his belly until he laid still. Then she'd go back to lie down, he'd clean himself off and come back and TWHAP her again. They'd do this for HOURS.

The cat has since died, unfortunately. He was a great cat.

HeronW
10-23-2008, 08:22 PM
A catsitting adventure in the apt. building I lived in: I'm at the apt. door and notice a long plastic tube halfway under the door. It looks familiar. I open the door and pick it up, and see another, slightly larger, then a torn wrapping and a shredded cotton wad with a woven string attached. It's a new tampon! The perfect toy! Crackly outer wrapper, rolling plastic bits and clawable cotton hunk with a string. I told the cat's owner and she was mortified :}

Our younger cat likes to drop her mice and bits of crumpled paper in the water dish and make soup...

Mad Queen
10-23-2008, 08:36 PM
One of my cats liked to play with paper balls we made by crumpling any piece of paper. He put the paper ball inside a shoe and tried to take it out. We often found the paper balls inside our shoes when we were going to put them on.

jennifer75
10-23-2008, 08:45 PM
When I lived with my mom and her cats, they always carried around the peel off portion of a gallon of milk..u know the pull tab part so you can twist the cap off..well that thing, the thing u twist off...they love'd them. They'd get it in their mouth and run around then bat it around, then run with it some more. Wierdos.

MaryMumsy
10-23-2008, 08:49 PM
The plastic thing that covers the bolt that holds your toilet to the floor. He would get it off, maneuver it across the carpeted landing, knock it down the carpeted stairs to the tiled entry, then play 'hockey' with it for hours. thwack, thwack, thwack. Drove us nuts. We finally just left the bolt uncovered. Ain't cats great?

MM

FennelGiraffe
10-23-2008, 08:53 PM
My cat Phoebe once had a pet BeanieBaby. She eventually lost interest, but she must have carried that thing around for two years.

Phoebe also has a paper fetish, especially toilet paper. If she catches me tearing off a length, I have to let her kill it a few times. She shreds newspaper, too. Fortunately, printer paper isn't the right texture for her.

This was just a one-off, but a couple of weeks ago I was doing a sudoku and my other cat, Sophie, suddenly decided she needed to kill my pencil. It was really strange because Sophie usually isn't playful at all.

My third cat, Carrie, will play with just about anything. Sometimes I find her in the kitchen, chasing a nugget of cat food around the room.

A cat I had years ago kept a pecan hidden somewhere in the living room. He played with it in the middle of the night. (An interesting noise to wake up to)

Generally, though, none of my cats have ever had much interest in bought toys. Not the three I have now; not any I've ever had in the past. They've always prefered found objects: golf balls, plastic bottle caps, scraps of paper, anything dangly or string-like. It's not unusual to wake up in the morning and find some odd small object in the middle of the floor. When my daughter was younger, her toys were always a fertile source for the cats.

Oh, yeah, cardboard boxes. Any size from shoeboxes on up. Those are very important in my household. It's always amusing when cat A is sleeping inside of a box and cat B decides to sit on top of the same box, which holds the flaps closed. Then cat A wakes up, ready to do something else now, thankyouverymuch.

wombat
10-23-2008, 09:12 PM
The light spot on the wall/floor/cabinets from the sun's reflection off my wristwatch.

This is perfect, I'd forgotten about this.

Wine corks is a great one too for these days- if you're drinking too much as you watch your investments disappear, at least the cat gets something out of it. Maybe not so much champagne at the moment, though!

Ours also always loved the thingy from the milk jug cap that jennifer75 describes - but it's so hard to explain what it is, I think I might have to leave it out! I wonder if it has a name, and likewise, the bolt cover on the toilet?

There are a hoot, keep 'em coming. I will definitely be contacting some of you but right now i've got to go get a tampon and draw a mouse face on it.

Red-Green
10-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Wine corks, foam ear plugs, and the crinkly security wrapping around the nozzle of saline solution bottles.

Clio
10-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I own a blue point Persian who will play with most fast moving things, but her daughter, a half-mog is the neighbourhood's deadliest serial killer. (Her record was 7 corpses in a day, of the furry four and feathery two-legged variety left on the doorstep) As she has now been grounded because she wandered off for 10 whole weeks, she has to find her own fun where she can. Insects, however, are beneath her dignity. She will torture a daddy-long-legs (crane fly) until it is almost dead, sniff it, and then decide that it is such paltry prey that she sticks her white-tipped cute nose in the air and walks away in disdain. Spiders receive a similar treatment, and moths are so far beneath her that she simply watches them circling the air above her with a look of pure contempt on her face.

What she does love, however, are toy mice that look like the real deal. Squeaky plastic things hold her attention for about a minute before she decides they are no fun, but get one of those fluff covered things from the supermarket and she will not only spend hours chasing and torturing it, she will actually try to bite its head off (this being her favourite mode of despatch for her real prey).

And never underestimate the attraction an owner has for a cat. Scarlet (the serial killer) has been known to wait on your pillow for your eyelashes to flicker open and shut. She finds that hilarious and very, very fascinating.... She also loves keyboards, and has been known to join in on an MSN session.

So, Wombat - if you want to give your cat some attitude in your story...:)

mrockwell
10-23-2008, 09:27 PM
My cat loves the big green Barnes & Noble bags -- chews on them, bats them around, hides in them. No other bags -- just those.

She also loves the dog's dry food. She won't eat it, but will steal pieces and bat them around the floor until they're lost. Drives my poor black lab crazy! :)

-- Marcy

Tifferbugz
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Q-tips...I finally had to start giving my boy cat clean ones to play with so he'd stop digging them out of the trash. Always fun to find a used, chewed-on, wet q-tip in your shoe.

kuwisdelu
10-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Like others have said, cardboard boxes. If there's a box around, my cat will be sitting in it.

Also plastic bags. She loves to run inside a plastic bag, then go crazy trying to get out of it/get it off of her.

Ms Hollands
10-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Mine loves my dreadlocks, which is sometimes a bit of a surprise! Rope is also a winner (obvious similarities). And the lights that flash on my router during the night - he plays with the spare ethernet cable beside it. Oh, and dead voles. He *loves* playing with them at around 4am - on my carpet.

ABekah
10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
My grandmother's cat liked foil wadded up into a ball, but not just any foil. It had to be foil that was previously wrapped around a chocolate bar. Seriously, you could toss two otherwise identical foil balls on the ground, and the cat only played with the one that smelled like chocolate.

blacbird
10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
First, there are no owners of cats. There are cats that allow humans to dwell in their houses, as long as they provide food and clean the litter.

Now, regards toys. One of the two cats that allow me to live in their house is a cross-eyed semi-obese Siamese that likes marbles. And not just any old marbles, these have to be clear glass. We had a decorative jar of these on a low shelf, and she tipped it over one day when she was little more than a kitten, and fell in love with them. She plays retrieve with them, carrying them up to me in her mouth, dropping on the kitchen floor and rolling them around, and yowling in that delightful Siamese manner for me to throw the thing somewhere so she can chase it. She will ignore any marble that has a color pattern, or is dark. The other thing that turns her crank is a laser pen light.

The other cat is a more normal torty-shell, who likes toy mice, especially the ones that squeak. Neither cat will play with the other one's favorites.

caw

Jersey Chick
10-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Our cat, Casey used to love pipecleaners. I'd take two, twist them together (into an X) and the cat would zip all over the house with them until they vanished under something.

My mom had a cat that loved aluminum foil - crush into a ball and the cat would play soccer all over the house. When he got tired, he pick up the ball and cart it off to wherever he kept all of his stuff (all cats have a secret stash of toys somewhere) and he'd growl all the while he was holding it.

The plastic sealed-for-your-protection thingy from infant Tylenol drops, the pull-off strip thingy from milk cartons, pen caps, the red dot from a laser pointer - these were a few of Casey's favorite things as well...

She died in Aug 07 - I miss this nutty stuff she used to do...

DeleyanLee
10-23-2008, 10:25 PM
First, there are no owners of cats. There are cats that allow humans to dwell in their houses, as long as they provide food and clean the litter.

"Dogs have owners. Cats have staff." ;)

ajkjd01
10-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Mine LOVES those plastic soda bottle caps.

We end up playing a modified version of air hockey on the coffee table with them. And she'll do it for HOURS if you keep playing with her.

katiemac
10-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Pipecleaners, absolutely.

Another likes the tabs that come off of milk jugs--not the caps, but the twisty you pull off that keeps it sealed.

Ping pong balls.

sheadakota
10-23-2008, 11:33 PM
One of mine is obsessed with the sleeves of my kid's snowsuits. it was cute when he was a kitten- he used to crawl in the sleeve and hide then squeeze through the elastic cuffed end, however now that he is grown and bigger- he still does this only now he doesn't fit.

Last year I had to CUT him out of a brand new LL bean snowsuit because he got good and stuck!

MaryMumsy
10-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Last year I had to CUT him out of a brand new LL bean snowsuit because he got good and stuck!

:ROFL:

I bet now you put the snowsuits away when the kids aren't in them!

MM

heyjude
10-24-2008, 12:15 AM
I have a cat that likes my 5 year old's Polly Pocket toys. Yummy! He really likes any of the kids' toys he can get his jaws around... he's often seen dragging them around the house, knocking them into shoes and under furniture, skating them across the kitchen floor, etc.

Karen Duvall
10-24-2008, 12:41 AM
I have 3 catties and each has his or her own favorite thing to play with. My 30 pounder has a fondness for door stoppers. He likes to bat at it and make the spring go boing over and over and over... we've removed them from all the doors.

The big guy also loves pom poms. Cheapest toy ever. You can buy packages of them at the fabric store for about 85 cents. He only likes the black and red ones though. He has no interest in pink or powder blue. He'll even play fetch if you toss them.

Our smallest cat, who's the same age as our big bruiser but 1/3 the size, just loves hair ties. She used to play with rubberbands, too, except we discovered she eats them. We found the evidence in the cat box. So the store-bought stretchy hair ties are now her favorites. We twang them across the room and she goes through all kinds of acrobatics to catch them.

Our oldest cat likes to tip things over to see what spills out. Never leave a filled cup sitting around, or a watering can. He'll soak the place.

Boxes and bags are beloved by all 3, but they do get tired of them after a short time. What I've discovered is that if you move them to a different location, the cats think they're brand new and will start playing with them again. If it's different, they go for it.

Yeshanu
10-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Mine LOVES those plastic soda bottle caps.

Mine too!

And I'll leave you with this (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdp9xxpOtU), which was left in my youtube thread... :D

Chase
10-24-2008, 01:19 AM

Correct. Ha ha ha, re-read my quote:

I don't know if this falls in the catagory of "play," but I've been owned by several purebred Siamese. . . .

Fern
10-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Crickets were almost as fun as a live mouse for our Tommy Zipper who is now an arthritic stove-up old man cat. When he was young he liked people's ears. He would zip across the room, up the back of the couch and grab me or the kids around the neck, hug tight and put his mouth over one ear. He didn't bite down, just acted like he was going to eat us alive. When we reached for him, he'd zip off across the room again.

jgold
10-24-2008, 01:51 AM
I used to have a cat that would fetch blue--ONLY blue--gumballs and bring them back to be thrown again. They turned her mouth blue. :)

My newest cat has begun collecting socks, and one of my older cats goes crazy if I use a laser pointer and run it along the floor. My floor is ceramic tile, so he skids when he reaches one end of the house... and then he follows the laser to the other side of the house and occasionally careens directly into the door (or one of the other cats). :D

vfury
10-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Our cats loves our underwear boxes, of all things. The amount of times he sneaks into our wardrobes and curls up to sleep in the boxes. We own a cat with an underwear fetish, obviously. -_-;

HeronW
10-24-2008, 04:23 AM
Years ago we had a big tabby called Pasha. He loved Wednesdays--that's when the sheets were changed. Ma would fluff up the sheets and let them settle, Pasha would jump on the bed and lay in the center. Ma would tuck in the sheets, blanket and bedspread all around him, nice neat lump o'kitty. He also liked to steal bras from the laundry pile and run down the hall with them, then he'd trip over the straps.

heyjude
10-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Oh these are fun. Heron, my older cat loves sheet-changing day too. We play "where's kitty?" It's the only time he allows us to be silly with him.

And I almost forgot the quarter game. Our toy-stealing cat used to love quarters. We had a glass coffee table and we'd line up quarters (he'd eat anything smaller) on it. He'd go crazy from underneath trying to figure out how to get to them (dumb as a stump this one), then once he did he'd joyfully fling them, one by one, off the table. Worked every time, kept him entertained for long periods of time.

DWSTXS
10-24-2008, 04:56 AM
A catsitting adventure in the apt. building I lived in: I'm at the apt. door and notice a long plastic tube halfway under the door. It looks familiar. I open the door and pick it up, and see another, slightly larger, then a torn wrapping and a shredded cotton wad with a woven string attached. It's a new tampon! The perfect toy! Crackly outer wrapper, rolling plastic bits and clawable cotton hunk with a string. I told the cat's owner and she was mortified :}

Our younger cat likes to drop her mice and bits of crumpled paper in the water dish and make soup...

This is gross, but I have to add my 2 cents worth. We had 4 cats. I used to get VERY upset upon coming home and finding the USED tampon that they dug out of the trash and played with! Yuck! (Yes, I made HER clean up the 'messes'.) Apparently, they were attracted to the blood smell.

Also, one of the cats liked to drag a shoestring from an old tennis shoe, around and he would take the shoestring to his water bowl, dip it in the water, and chew it.

DWSTXS
10-24-2008, 05:00 AM
I have 3 catties and each has his or her own favorite thing to play with. My 30 pounder has a fondness for door stoppers. He likes to bat at it and make the spring go boing over and over and over... we've removed them from all the doors.

The big guy also loves pom poms. Cheapest toy ever. You can buy packages of them at the fabric store for about 85 cents. He only likes the black and red ones though. He has no interest in pink or powder blue. He'll even play fetch if you toss them.

Our smallest cat, who's the same age as our big bruiser but 1/3 the size, just loves hair ties. She used to play with rubberbands, too, except we discovered she eats them. We found the evidence in the cat box. So the store-bought stretchy hair ties are now her favorites. We twang them across the room and she goes through all kinds of acrobatics to catch them.

Our oldest cat likes to tip things over to see what spills out. Never leave a filled cup sitting around, or a watering can. He'll soak the place.

Boxes and bags are beloved by all 3, but they do get tired of them after a short time. What I've discovered is that if you move them to a different location, the cats think they're brand new and will start playing with them again. If it's different, they go for it.

LOL. I was awakened at 3 a.m. My heart hammering and I sat up, looking around, trying to figure out what was making that bizarre noise?

It was Millie, swatting the springy door stopper!

Madisonwrites
10-24-2008, 05:03 AM
They say cats don't have a sweet tooth. LIE! My cat, Figero, DEFINATELY has one, there's no mistake! There was a bag of powered donuts on the table and we suddenly found it on the floor, along with a half-eaten donut. Who was the culprit? We had absolutely no clue, until Figero came trotting in (he's completely black) and there was white powder on his nose and mouth. Instead of saying he was caught red-handed, my dad said he was caught "white nosed"! Of course, a few minutes later, Figero threw up the donut. White throw up is so gross and I had to clean it up, but it was very funny! That's my goofy black cat for ya! :e2cat:

Puma
10-24-2008, 05:21 AM
Nobody's mentioned telephone cords (I know, who has telephone cords these days!) I'm old fashioned, I still like "real" telephones. One of our kitties has an abnormal desire to "have" the cord for the phone on my computer desk for her own. We get into some real battles (and she doesn't discourage easily).

And how about newspaper? One of ours delights in running into the paper and spreading it all over the room. It's really funny when he gets under it and thinks he's hidden (Mom! How'd you know where my tickle spot is?)

The mention of the plastic bags in several threads above reminded me of the time our most timid kitty was playing with one upstairs, got in it, and couldn't figure out how to get out. His solution was to try to run back down stairs - in the bag. I felt really sorry for him but I couldn't stop laughing. Puma

Izunya
10-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Let's see. The first cat I ever knew, Mittens, liked playing with basketball players. On the TV, of course. She would sit on top of the TV and try to pin them down with her paws. And occasionally tangle herself up.

Shadow, my family's second cat, thought the best toy in the universe was Mittens's tail. She was disabused of this notion.

Koshka, who was probably the oddest cat my family ever owned, liked to retrieve acorns. I would throw them for her, being careful to bounce them across the deck with plenty of skittering action, and she would kill them and bring them back. She also attempted to wrestle socks off our feet, possibly to keep us from going to work, and played sheet spelunking when the bed was being made. She was also quite a one for Random Object Midnight Mystery Hockey, so she may have had other toys we never knew about.

Mischief, who is really my Mom's cat at this point, likes screen savers. She also once attempted husband rodeo while he was . . . I mean, when we were . . . well, let's just say there would be much more TMI here if we hadn't both been laughing too hard to continue.

Bing Bing, also my Mom's cat, is the single most social feline we've ever known. He ran to my Mom when he was wounded once, which probably saved his life, instead of hiding and waiting for it to get better, if that gives you any idea. He plays with Mischief and with the dog.

Of the two cats I and my husband have now, Spook likes the wrappers off of Coke bottles, bugs, and paper going into the printer. Velvet is young enough to like anything, but she has a surprising preference for the toys we actually bought her. And typing fingers. And the cursor, dammit.

(Yes, for the record, those of you who laughed at me for thinking I could give Velvet away . . . well, you were right. She is blocking the screen at the moment because I am paying attention to the clicky thing and not the Queen of the Universe.)

Izunya

Rabe
10-24-2008, 07:47 AM
One of my tortoiseshells has a habit of not so much 'playing' with a bit of gold cord that I had left lying around after an art project but using it as her "I'm now mad as hell and I'm going to carry this thing around until I feel better" string.

Seriously. Whenever she gets upset I see her with this bit of gold cord. It's sometimes the only barometer I have of her mood - which just generally goes from bitter to downright pissed. She also won't play, bat at or pounce on any part of me - unless it's hidden underneath a blanket or some other covering. The moment she sees that it's a part of me, she goes away.

Once she got so miffed she went and picked up her cord and carried it out of the room.

My other tortoiseshell (sister to the first) doesn't seem to favor anything over anything else. Except...maybe the dogs. She much prefers my spitz foxy to the husky/coyote hybrid. Can't really say I blame her there.
Rabe...

Stlight
10-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Karen, you are so lucky your cat survived the rubber band incident. And, I think you might have something other than a domestic cat with the 30 pounder - are you sure he’s not a bob cat?

Different cats different toys but the first six months after being rescued they all loved the rag doll in the shape of a person, sort of cylinder shaped. Each would carry it around until a new cat moved in, then the current owner would give it to the new one.

Pecans definitely, walnuts, ping pong balls, hard candy wrapped in cellophane. Yarn in balls and crocheted into triangular mice 1/3 size of cat. Each other, lettuce, radishes, beef shank bones that still have a bit of meat on them and are larger than the cat. Actually that last might be tea not a toy.

And one liked egg shells, he liked to hide them under the bed in the far corner where the bed was up against the wall. We got a locking trash can.

Phone books for shredding, toilet paper entire roll, that’s an evenings entertainment.

Stlight

Keyan
10-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Our Siamese cat's favorite toy is a key-chain with a 2-inch tiger-tail attached. It's just the right size and weight to pick up in her mouth, and toss in the air so it lands with a satisfying thunk on the wood floor. She got the first one by accident - it was a freebie from somewhere and she found it. After that, we bought her a couple more. Though it can generally be found at rest in her water bowl, or occasionally her kibble dish, she will sometimes toss it where she can't reach it. If she can't tell us where it is, it's gone.

That was the fate of all three of the original tiger-tails. We didn't know where to get more. Then e-commerce came to the rescue. An online source provided ten new tails. Now they're carefully rationed. We hope if we can manage not to lose more than one annually, they'll last her for the rest of her life.

MagicMan
10-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Cardboard box, definitely one more vote.

Plastic bags, the ones that make a crinkling noise, they go nuts when they get it caught around their necks.

Any cotton thread from a sweater, the kind that clings,

Bottle caps, the plastic ones that roll in a curve.

Any cord that dangles. It's tough to tie your shoe laces when they get interested.

Insects, moths especially.

Smiles
Bob

Alice.S
10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
my cat lily loves twisty ties and my long hair, lol :)

Broadswordbabe
10-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Random Object Midnight Mystery Hockey...husband rodeo
These made me laugh out loud. Haven't had the 'husband rodeo' moment but a friend did (her response, when cat landed with flying leap and claws akimbo on hubby's bare back, was, 'I didn't realise, I just thought he was having a really good time...')
One of my cats used to love a bit of knotted washing line. She carried that thing everywhere, chased it all over the place...she was buried with it too :(
Mojo used to love 'helping' me make the bed, racing around under the sheets. Toes under sheets were good, too.
Possibly the weirdest one was my parents' cat, Domino, who adored this fluffy Christmas ornament (it was made of a bundle of some kind of glittery blue nylon stuff). He kept stealing it off the tree and running around with it. Eventually he ate it, string and all - and had to be, how can I put this...unplugged, when it got stuck on the way out...

wombat
10-24-2008, 05:41 PM
This thread is too hysterical and about five times more than I can fit into one article... I might have to figure out how to make it into a series.

General Joy
10-24-2008, 07:05 PM
One of my cats loves hair ties--but only a certain type, a stretchy kind with a sort of woolly fabric. I keep them in a rubbermaid box, and a sure way to lure her out of any hiding place is to pop the lid of that box. And Karen mentioned door stoppers... both my cats like not the door stopper itself, but the rubber cap on it. They pull them off and toss them around. When we find the rubber pieces, they have bite marks all over them. Also they'll play with straws.

A.L. Wright
10-24-2008, 07:15 PM
My older cat will pick up just about anything he can carry in his mouth. If he finds something like a bug or a piece of wire, he'll carry it back to whoever's nearest while meowing as loud as he can. My mom and I joke that he does it because he wants us to tell him how proud we are that he caught whatever it was. He also likes to carry around fish food containers, even the huge ones that are like a third his size. In that case, he's just trying to get the lid off so he can eat the food though.

The other cat plays with milk rings, bottle caps, and basically anything he can bat around. He likes to hide his little toys in the couch cushions so he can find them later. He also throws things on the floor ("cleaning the table" is what we say he's doing) and tears up newspapers and books. He's probably ripped off the cover of every single phonebook we've owned since we got him. And he likes to pull kleenex out of boxes. He has a specific fish in one of our tanks that he likes to watch, too. He'll sit and watch the tank for like an hour waiting for it to come out of hiding. Yeah, we joke that he's our charity case, because there's no way anyone else would want him.

Puma
10-24-2008, 08:02 PM
And, unrolling toilet paper and paper towels from the roller.
Any sort of flower arrangement/display gets picked apart.
Water dripping from the faucet in the kitchen (fun to bat)
Puma

Saanen
10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
We had a neighbor cat once that would steal the in-shell peanuts my mom put out for the birds, and would carry them around in her mouth. She was the same cat that would run up while I was gardening, "tag" me on the arm with her forepaws, and then run away.

My own cats are pretty sedate these days. Angel plays with anything, from bought toys to dead leaves the dog tracks in. she'll also play with pieces of the dog's kibble. Vincent is pickier about toys, although he's a box cat for sure. Any box is fair game for him, even if it's obviously way too small for him. He'll squeeze himself in anyway. He also loves to play with toilet paper, to the extent that he'll take used tissues and wrapped napkins out of the bathroom trash and chew them up. Gross and embarrassing! He growls if I catch him at it and try and take his prize away, too, so I always swap him a fresh piece of toilet paper. Weird little guy.

I had to stop buying those realistic mice even though my cats loved them because my dog--an elderly Newfoundland--started eating them. He started by biting the tails off and eating those, then graduated to chewing the whole mouse up and then spitting the wet mess out for me to clean up.

Aquilegia
10-24-2008, 09:38 PM
>>Mine LOVES those plastic soda bottle caps.
Iíll be the third person to mention this one, then.

Mine loves whole walnuts more than anything. He'll play with large hazelnuts, too, but walnuts are just the right size. I used to keep some in a pocket of my laptop bag, but he must have noticed me putting them in there (or smelled them) and early one morning dug several out to bat around on our wood floor. Walnut hockey on parquet is surprisingly loud.

redpbass
10-24-2008, 09:38 PM
First off, I didn't name any of these cats. you can blame that on my mother :p

My silver tabby, Dusty, loves socks. She really likes this one old sock of my nephew's that she stole a couple years ago...we don't have the heart to take it away. She also enjoys her piece of cardboard. It's about 18"x12" and was the back of a toy package. She'll lay on it and lightly chew the edges for hours. And she is also obsessed with our longhair's tail. She'll sit and stare at it in fascination before looking down at her own (she's a shorthair) and back.

Milo, a brown/gray tabby with a little splotchy whiteness on his stomach and face and paws, is a great hunter. You should see him leap up the wall and snag wandering moths from the air. He'll play with anything that moves and some things that won't. Also, he loves to shred newspaper ads.

Precious, our older Longhair with the fascinating tail, occasionally plays with this weird fluffball cat toy that we picked up somewhere. He'll grab it, bite it, roll over on his back and kick it repeatedly as he chews on it...it's really entertaining to watch, since he's normally so demanding and yells at us for annoying him by moving.

Simba, an orange tabby that we lost several years ago, used to love to play with this big orange rock we had on our back porch. It was pretty rough, with lots of holes and things he could stick his claws into. He would grab it and pull himself all the way around it on his side.

Link, a gray tabby that I used to have, would often leap from furniture to furniture, crossing entire rooms without ever touching the floor. Also, he would occasionally steal paper money if you left it on a desk or something. He would pile them up in the corner. Also, he once ate a toy felt frog. All that was left when we found it was one leg. He also enjoyed pulling himself under doors when he was a kitten.

Mason
10-24-2008, 11:42 PM
One of my cats loves hair ties--but only a certain type, a stretchy kind with a sort of woolly fabric. I keep them in a rubbermaid box, and a sure way to lure her out of any hiding place is to pop the lid of that box.....

Our cat Pedro loves those too. My wife had to stop leaving them in her purse because he'd fish them out and we'd find them floating in the water dish. He dunks every single one of his toys in the water dish eventually. He's fascinated with water. We used to have a pump driven, waterfall, filtered deal that he'd stare at for hours sometimes taking a nervous swipe at the stream. He loves plastic grocery bags which he will lick incessantly until they're pried away from him. Shiny surfaces drive him nuts too. He'll paw at our sliding glass door, my accoustic guitar, the top of the coffee table, etc, like he's trying to dig through it and he's never met a rubber band that he wouldn't eat. He prefers the big fat kind typically used to hold asparagus stalks together. Too bad he's never met one that he could digest.

Oh yeah, we have a couple of floor cushions he likes to lick. The sound of his tongue scraping across them (and the plastic bags!) is brain rattling at minimum.

My older more sensible cat, Susan is obsessed with all kinds of reflected light. You can't pull a cd out on a sunny day without hearing about it from her. Usually the thud, after she jumps to try to catch the bright spot on the wall. She can entertain herself for hours chasing shadows around and covering them with her paw when she thinks she's finally got it...! Maybe next time.

MagicMan
10-25-2008, 01:21 AM
My black cat with one little white spot on his chest, Spotty, would curl up in the big cloth covered arm chair. Sleeping, his tail would twitch and hit his nose, waking him. He would then, assuming everyone was in bed, chase his tail, unsuccessfully, twirling and picking into the cloth. If he realized someone was still up, he would stop and give you that "What?' look, jump off the chair and go eat. Sometimes he would spin so fast he fell off the edge, again recouping with a dignified pose, and saunter out of the room.

Saint Fool
10-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Ping pong balls and paper bags.

One cat used to bring in live critters to teach us how to hunt and kill. Ecccchhh!

Most bizarre "toy"? Shoes. Hot, sweaty sneakers were the favorite. Magee used to put his face in them and push them around the room until he collapsed into a scent-caused orgasm.

Saanen
10-25-2008, 01:46 AM
I forgot to mention an anti-toy. I bought (for five whole dollars) a ball made of reedy stuff, sort of like a little woven basket. There were a bunch of real pheasant feathers sticking out one side, and since both my cats like playing with feathers I thought they'd love the toy.

They not only didn't play with it, they hid it so well I can't find it. I think it scared them. If I can find it, I'll pull the feathers off and see if they'll play with both halves separately.

A.L. Wright
10-25-2008, 02:29 AM
Most bizarre "toy"? Shoes. Hot, sweaty sneakers were the favorite. Magee used to put his face in them and push them around the room until he collapsed into a scent-caused orgasm.

My old cat Izzy used to stick her face in shoes too. She seemed to like sandals the best, probably because she could stick her face in them and still be able to breathe.

Del
10-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Bread-bag twisties. Make a ring, twist it and bend the twist 90 degree to the ring so it stands off of the floor. Catable for days...until it goes under the washer or the fridge.

Homewrecker
10-25-2008, 03:34 AM
Paper grocery bags, boxes, waded up paper, pens--especially if I'm using it. They also like those plastic Easter eggs that you put junk inside of. An egg half is great entertainment, also a whole egg if filled with cat-nip, 'natch.

Oh! And me, of course. They are my favorite entertainment and I'm vain enough to expect the feeling to be mutual.

Cheers!

HeronW
10-25-2008, 04:20 AM
Many years ago, my black cat Sheeba found a huge cricket. She batted the poor thing until a big hind leg fell off. Karamell the calico comes runing over to take a look--she weighed 18 lbs. The poor cricket is going in circles and Karamell backs away like it's going to get her. Sheeba gives her a look of disgust and eats the cricket, all but the hind legs.

Um, kinky, but true, Sheeba loved to play with a small cat-o-9 tails I got as a gag gift. She's squeak and fly through the air and bat the tassels as long as I was game.

Horseshoes
10-25-2008, 09:40 AM
The kitty who enjoys watching water flush away in the toilet is kind of special.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WofFb_eOxxA

Deb Kinnard
10-26-2008, 03:02 AM
Cat Kelly: the rings from milk bottles. She'd swat 'em across the floor and then pounce.

Cat Casey: Christmas wrapping paper. While we were unwrapping Christmas morning, if we wadded one up exactly right and flung it, he'd chase it, jump it, and then wrap his paws around it and glare at us. "Mine."

dianeP
10-26-2008, 04:11 AM
My cat's ears would perk up everytime I wadded up a piece of paper. I finally threw one at him and he ran all over the house pushing it and chasing.
Whenever I'd push over the couch to sweep under, I'd find dozens of wads.

stuckupmyownera
10-28-2008, 10:12 PM
My cat just shredded a whole roll of kitchen towel over the kitchen floor... Wondered what was keeping him so quiet :rolleyes:

stuckupmyownera
10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
His other favourite toy is a tissue box with the ends cut off so it makes a sort of tunnel (he's little - only four months old). Place it upside down (tunnel-like) on the floor and he dives right in and surveys the room from his hiding place thinking no-one can see him - he spends ages in there sometimes. Turn it over and he'll sit in it and peer over the walls, like a little protective fort. Throw something under it and he'll push it round the room with his head hidden and his back end sticking out for ages, then when he gets bored he'll stand up and carry it round like a tortoiseshell until he can shake it off!

Polenth
10-28-2008, 11:39 PM
My cat loved Lego trees. I only realised when I tried to make a Lego garden and found the trees had gone. It wasn't long after that I found the cat playing with one. He'd stolen them when I wasn't around and hidden them for later.

Inky
10-29-2008, 12:01 AM
balled up foil

socks...white only...and has now discovered it's much more fun to hear us squeal when he pounces white sock WHILE IT'S STILL ON OUR FOOT!!!

roaches--we get 'em the size of VW Bugs--no pun--here in Turkey

dust motes...he does this crazy Stevie Wonder thing with his head & then attacks AIR!

hide & seek...peek around the corner at him...take off running...hide...he chirps while searching...then LAUNCHES up towards face when finding you...which makes one scream, knock one's skull against wall....to which he saunters off, tail twitching making it clear I'M the ameature. Bastid.

bath mats. he will drag them all the way downstairs, and halfway to the laundry room. chauvinist.

latest toy: dad's nerf football...tosses it into the air..enjoys claws sticking to it...actually leaps up and catches it when dad throws it...sad...dad feels like he has a son again...*shakes head...*

Sassee
10-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Our cats go nuts over water bottle caps. Forget to put one back on the water bottle and it's batted across the floor the minute you divert your attention.

JRTurner
10-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Our cat steals clean socks. She drags them all over the house, leaving a trail behind her to the laundry room unless we hide the basket under a blanket or something ;)

My stepmom grows catnip and always sends me home with some. After some of that, Smokey plays with everything--inlcuding the floor ;)

Oh, and those red laser light keychains, she goes nuts chasing that.

Good luck with your article!

Oberon
10-30-2008, 01:20 AM
I have a friend whose Maine Coon cat was passionate about ice cubes. would beg for one at the refrigerator, then bat it around, carry it, chew on it until it melted, then beg for another. Our Maine Coon, Phoebe, was equally passionate about mushrooms, not just for playing, for eating. My wife had to put mushrooms to dry after washing in a glass pan on top of the refrigerator, until Pheobe discovered them, leaped up and knocked the pan off with a resounding crash. She was also inordinately fond of calimari steaks.

stuckupmyownera
11-01-2008, 12:08 AM
And long stem roses. Think he just loves the smell! He's dragging one round the living room by the stem as I type.

In fact:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/stuckupmyownera/samson3087.jpg

oneidii
11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
These are hysterical.

My boy cat's favorite thing? Helping me with the Halloween pumpkin. He loves the insides and will eat himself into sleep, with pumpkin guts spilling out of his mouth. LOLZ!

He also loves to run at top speed through the house and up to a wall, leaping as high as he can and ping-ponging off of it. :) I lubs mah boi. (Although I think I'm going to haev to try the hair-wrappers)

Branwyn
11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Anything you smudge fresh catnip on. ANYTHING!

dclary
11-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I had a cat who LOVED the plastic ring that seals a jug of milk. She'd play with those for hours.

Unique
11-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Styrofoam peanuts.

We had to keep the closet door shut - for sure - or he'd be in there.
Play in the bag for a while, just running his paw through - a little play here and there; toss the peanut, throw it around and then -chomp, chomp, chomp. "Those aren't real peanuts you stupid cat!"

He'd always try the closet door ... just in case ...

He was full of the lively tricks. The most uncattly cat I've ever had.

The vet said the peanuts might turn to a fibreglass in his stomach - oh joy.

Do you think he'd eat the cornstarch peanuts? The ones that might actually be edible? Oh, no. Not those. He'd turn up his nose like, 'hey, these aren't right!' Then he'd get indignent.

I miss him a lot. Can you tell?
>''<

Chase
11-07-2008, 12:59 AM
My Siamese was "hidden" atop a stump this morning, deciding which to pounce on and eat, full-grown deer or huge wild turkeys in his yard jungle.

So far it hasn't been necessary to rescue any victims or predator.

Mumbleduck
11-07-2008, 06:29 AM
I have a cat named Bonkie, because she doesn't rub her head against things like normal cats do, she headbutts them so hard that her skull goes 'bonk'.
Also, she's a pretty shy thing, except when she sits on the top of her cat-post. When she's up there, if you go to pet her, she'll take a swing at you, all the while meowing pathetically like she wants to be petted. She's weeeeird.

EDIT:
Also, I just remembered, for some reason she's terrified of shiny things. She'll chase a ball of paper for hours, but if you throw her a ball of foil she runs away. I once had a pair of patent leather shoes that she hated. I used to sneak up on her while wearing them because it was funny to see her bolt across the room when she noticed.

Appalachian Writer
11-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Our cats love to bat my pencils and pens around. This morning, Roxie (our newest addition) found a cottonball I'd pulled from a medicine bottle. I was picking cotton off her whiskers for like 5 minutes.

Tsu Dho Nimh
11-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Elastic pony tail bands, rolled up socks,

matdonna
11-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Don't let your kitty eat those! My daughter's cat would swallow those hair elastics, and needed her guts opened up by the vet to remove the snarl!

Beware_of_Italics
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
One of my cats plays with the doggies stuffed animals, but only at night and when she thinks everyone is ignoring her. (She really is a weird, paranoid cat). Tiger Lily just likes to torment the dogs by lying on aforementioned stuffed animals. (Izzy, one of the dogs, "tells us" when the cat steals one of her babies). Also, this cat uses those toys as pillows all the time. Rawhides, too.

Wendy also plays with the door stopper. Those fascinate her.

And ditto on the pencils. Those are like catnip to Wendy.

HeronW
11-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Over the summer, my wierd tabby and white cat Shalimar 'shared' our house with her cousin Lucy, a rotund chihuahua. Shal stole Lucy's rawhide chew stick...
(should this be in the Bad Cats Club?)

comradebunny
11-16-2008, 04:05 AM
One of my cats is obsessed with the pastic harness that holds bottles of soda together. More than once he's dived into the garbage to "rescue" one. He then procedes to chew on it and bat it around the house.

I have two cats and they both have this odd behavior when it comes to beverages. If you set a glass of water (or any type of beverage) somewhere, they feel it is their duty to tip it over. It has gotten so bad that I place all of my beverages inside a container that makes it impossible for the cats to tip it over.

selkn.asrai
11-16-2008, 04:28 AM
Omg, plastic bendy straws! Tin foil balls. Sliding closet doors.

And, much like kids, cardboard boxes. My kitten likes to flip over a wicker basket and hide under it, moving around in it like it's a tank. He also likes to chew through (not unravel) a new roll of toilet paper. Grrr. :/ My other cat likes to eat flowers.

Varthikes
11-18-2008, 03:29 PM
My cat absolutely loves a little rubber, bouncy ball we've had for years--years even before her great-grandmother was born. But is totally disinterested in the other made-specifically-for-cats balls (the ones with the little bells inside).

If the little bouncy ball had been missing for a while and she sees that I've found it, she's instantly on it. She really enjoys hitting it back-and-forth with me.

:lol:

Calixus
01-10-2009, 09:37 AM
My first cat, Lil' one used to fetch just about anything but his favorites were wadded up foil balls and wooden clothes pins. We always put down a layer of baking soda in his litter pan before pouring litter in and he would literally bounce from paw to paw, anxious for me to finish. He would then lick his paws, dig away the litter and walk around in the soda. He made little paw trails down my hallway and watch, racing back for more when the trail became too light. His best trick though was flushing the toilette. He would flush then watch the water disappear. Sometimes he would put stuff in it and watch that disappear too but the best was the roll of Toilette paper zigging off the roll as the toilette sucked it off the roller.

My current two cats have their favs too. Mikey's is a very large plastic bag filled with paper that he can hide in or dig out depending on his mood, and one of those pop up clothes baskets made of mesh. He thinks he is hidden and will pounce on any one dumb enough to walk by him. He is also a big one for the ever favorite q-tip.

The other, TJ (for Taz Jr) is just plain weird. He is the only cat I have ever seen that can be walking along the edge of the counter and simply fall off, landing on his back. He never lands on his feet if he falls. His favorite is racing up and down the stairs and listening to the voices in his head. One look into his big green eyes and you just know the lights are on but Noooooobody is home....

minervaK
01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
This is weird, though it's not something he plays with - he likes to bury himself underneath the blankets. I'll find him sleeping underneath the comforter in our guest bedroom, or if he sleeps on our bed, he sleeps against my legs underneath our blankets. Very odd.

But I love him. :)

Not odd. I have four cats, and two of them prefer to sleep under blankets. It makes sense when you realize that, as small mammals, their primary instinct is to keep as warm as possible at all times. Is there anything more wonderful than a warm kitty next to you in bed?

MK

minervaK
01-10-2009, 01:30 PM
OK, I'll play:

I have four cats inside and take care of a colony of 12-16 stray/ferals outdoors. My four indoor cats' favorite toy, above all, is each other. For some reason, they save up their energy for playing tag and chase until we've gone to bed. We are developing a Pavlovian sleep response to the sound of thundering paws.

Often, I'll be sitting in the living room, working on my laptop, facing the door to our very short hallway. This goes between our two bedrooms. One cat will go shooting between the bedrooms at top speed, with another one directly behind -- there's a moment of silence, then they come shooting back, in reverse order. Lather, rinse, repeat, for hours. I don't know why, it just cracks me up. "I'll chase you, then you chase me, OK? Go!"

Like others who've posted here, all our cats play with a multitude of things, mostly non-purchased toys: paper balls, milk bottle tops, hair ties, string, etc. Among their more unusual preferences: full-size tennis balls, and the youngest cat has an obsession with my Swiffer duster. It's one of those hand-held ones you can buy at the grocery store. She'll get hold of it and fling it up in the air and jump on it, over and over. It's funny because the thing is easily as big as she is.

This youngest cat is a female, spayed, and she plays this hilarious game of flirt with our male cat, who is also neutered (I mention this because neutered cats don't usually do the kind of thing I'm about to describe) -- he'll be lying on his favorite chair, and she'll come over and sort of switch her bottom in front of his face. He gets a whiff and gives her the Casanova eyes; she gives him a little meow and another butt-switch, then gets up on the chair with him. At that point, he'll proceed to bite her neck and get on top of her, and she dutifully assumes the position, but then both of them sort of get this look on their face like, "OK, what do we do now?" They'll stay frozen like that for long minutes. I often wonder if they feel stupid. Eventually one of them gets bored and moves on.

Who needs TV when you've got cats?

MK

A.L. Wright
01-10-2009, 01:37 PM
This youngest cat is a female, spayed, and she plays this hilarious game of flirt with our male cat, who is also neutered (I mention this because neutered cats don't usually do the kind of thing I'm about to describe) -- he'll be lying on his favorite chair, and she'll come over and sort of switch her bottom in front of his face. He gets a whiff and gives her the Casanova eyes; she gives him a little meow and another butt-switch, then gets up on the chair with him. At that point, he'll proceed to bite her neck and get on top of her, and she dutifully assumes the position, but then both of them sort of get this look on their face like, "OK, what do we do now?" They'll stay frozen like that for long minutes. I often wonder if they feel stupid. Eventually one of them gets bored and moves on.

My neutered male cats do that too. Except for the flirting part. The one cat is usually just walking past and the other just pins him down. He really doesn't seem to mind though...

HoraceJames
01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Many cats, many years...
- Miles loved tennis balls, would wrap his body around it and annhilate it with his back claws.
- Zydie used to fetch rubber bands and twist ties. Better than any dog I've had. She also used to jump on the foot board of our bed and attack our feet under the covers.
- KC prefers living things. I've never seen an eight-year-old cat that still chases it's tail. It's quite muscular. But her favorite toys would be small mammals (rats, squirrels,) lizards (not fond of regular brown anoles, but geckos have no chance, oh, and there was this two foot green tree lizard.)

Horserider
01-11-2009, 06:52 AM
I have so many stories about my cats. I have this one toy that is a little fuzzy ball with feathers attached to a stick by a long string. I have one cat that will grab the fuzzy end in his mouth and put it in the dogs food dish and leave it there. I have another cat that goes insane and starts doing these crazy acrobatic tricks after it as soon as she hears the bell. I have another cat who prefers to play with the stick if you drag it along the floor. (i have a lot of cats)

I have a cat that drinks by cupping his paw in the water dish and licking the water off his paw. I have a kitten that likes to sleep right up by your head and then she reaches up and licks your chin and then just bites without warning. I have a cat that can be purring one minute and scratching the heck out of your arm the next.

Oh yeah and my cats will get up on the desk and bat pencils around until they fall off and then they just watch them fall and if you pick them up and put them back, they do it all over again.

Weird things my cats play with..

Anything small that they can bat around
Paper bags
Lunchboxes (they like to sleep in this little square lunch box)
Shower curtain (they jump up against it)
The tie on milk jugs
Balls of aluminum foil
Laser pointers are always fun XD

Buffysquirrel
01-12-2009, 02:59 AM
My cat steals the squeegees from the sink, although she usually abandons them if they're wet. She first started stealing them as a very small kitten, and she'd growl and fight if you tried to take them off her. One time she dropped a wet squeegee onto the adaptor for my husband's laptop, and fried it (the adaptor, not the laptop!). We were Not Pleased.

Another cat we used to have loved the small toys that come in Christmas crackers. She'd jump up onto the place where they were sitting, pick one, knock it down, jump down after it, then pick it up and trot out into the hall. She'd then bat it from one end of the hall to the other. But cats can't conceptualise, of course....

(oh, and those yellow things from Kinder eggs)