Who Likes Spiders?

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Some tend to be big over here.

Spider.jpg

Granted, a small bird. But, still a bird.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2008/10/23/11601_local-news.html

JJ

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
OMG, OMG, OMG! I saw the title and was going to type "Yes, I do." There is a harlot spider that lives on my fence. We're friends. But that...that MAMMOTH thing. *shiver*

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Spiders don't bother me...but that thing is just nasty. I didn't know you could grow them that big! Yikes.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Could be worse, I suppose. Could have one of these in your back yard.

snake.jpg

That's a kangaroo in the snake's mouth.

JJ

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
What is the difference between a cat killing the bird and a spider killing the bird?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
There is a harlot spider that lives on my fence. We're friends.
And every time you walk by it thinks, I wish I could sink my fangs into that big animal's neck and cocoon it and slowly suck out its juices until there's only a dried-out husk left. Mmm, good eatin'.

-Derek

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
We had this beauty on our back door a few years ago. He was around 20cm from leg tip to tip, although he had a bigger bro. in our garage.

knockknockcanicomein7mg.jpg

After this photo, hubby went and played with him until he thumped off into the rainforest.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
When I was down the Coast, my house backed onto national parklands. We had a contractor out one day to do a pest inspection. He came down and informed me it would be for free as he refused to go in the roof cavity. Seems we had a horde of spiders, each one as big as his hand up there. I had a look and he was right. But, they were harmless Huntsman spiders. Still, the older boy was two at the time so my wife insisted they be removed.

JJ

Jo

Registered
Reaction score
:roll: Some blokes, eh? Yeah, that Huntsman up there was that big (we put our hands up to the glass to check--then measured with tape). I often had Huntsmans scampering across the kitchen floor at that house. (Yes, you could hear them.) Our current cats keep the spider and fly population down, thank goodness, but I wouldn't trust them outside this time of year. On our nightly walks we've noticed the snakes are back.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm out west in the gas fields at the moment. Come across two big brown snakes in the last week. One by the side of the road. The other sliding under our accomodation block. Got snake awareness and snake bite first aid training tomorrow morning.

JJ

Jo

Registered
Reaction score
OFG, I think the black widows are in the same genus as the redbacks (and are similar in size). It's only the female redback that's deadly to humans. We've got the brown recluse down here now, too. If you want bigger and deadly, try the male funnel-web spider.

I'm out west in the gas fields at the moment. Come across two big brown snakes in the last week. One by the side of the road. The other sliding under our accomodation block. Got snake awareness and snake bite first aid training tomorrow morning.

We've got the baby browns in the gutters here. Just a bit lethal... Interesting to watch, though.

Have fun with the training tomorrow. I'm glad we don't have to suck out the venom from bites any more. Ptooey.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
We had this beauty on our back door a few years ago. He was around 20cm from leg tip to tip, although he had a bigger bro. in our garage.

knockknockcanicomein7mg.jpg

After this photo, hubby went and played with him until he thumped off into the rainforest.

*Grabs ruler, measures off 20 cm* - Holy Fracking ****!
*In her best British Colonial accent* Cyril, hand me the elephant gun. I'm going to need it....