tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
funnelcake.jpg

I sure did. I used Alton Brown's recipe, same recipe I use when I make cream puffs or eclairs. It was so easy and they are just like the cakes I get at the fair. I fried them up in my wok so I didn't have to use too much oil and made different sizes. The plate sized ones are nice.... but little bite sized are way better.

Great fun. I suggest everyone tries it.

Here's the link to the recipe I used. Hope it's ok to post.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/funnel-cake-recipe/index.html

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Wow, that's different. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. What is the tradition with this cake?

They do like churros though. (A Portuguese/Spanish fried-dough pastry-based snacks made mostly at funfairs. They are also made from potatoe dough sometimes. See picture below to see)

2309144075_27e0824be6.jpg

Mmm I like them with cinammon and sometimes with chocolate inside.

2631107014_e684e87a8f_m.jpg

Sorry to ruin your thread, but they do look similiar. :D

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Cool Capt. I think the difference in the recipes have to do with the batter being basically tasteless. :D

I've seen Churros, but never fresh ones. Never thought to make my own....... I will have to find a recipe. And then I will need to find a gym. :D

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Any kind of fried dough is fantastic.

I was raised on funnel cakes, but because of the local Italian populace, we also had zeppole - fried dough balls served with powdered sugar or red sauce(!)

Churros are fantastic as well, mostly for the sugar/cinnamon coating. Cleaner than powdered sugar.

Then there's my wife's recipe I have yet to try - bolinho de chuva (rain balls). I imagine it's more of the same heaven as all the others.