SO. okay you're at the end of...

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
...the proverbial 'rope'.

what IS that... 'LAST STRAW'?

...that very topMOST topping that would&could mooooove ya...

to annihilate your very own SELF.

in other words...

(methinks ya gottit. right?)

....and. why.

and why Not.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Whipped cream and hot fudge?

Or was that not the kind of topping we're talking about here?

....yes, I'm on another diet. How did you know?

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
Pffft!

HAHAH CHOCOLATE WOULD NEVER ever!
hey, i can LIVE on chocolate.

...everyone has limits though. no? i'm just..... curious?

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, though - I have no idea what that point would be. And I've thought about it over the past year, too - my father's father committed suicide and my father tried it just before he stopped treatment for a cancer the doctors were pretty sure they could cure, but - I don't know....

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Discovering that "fresh citrus" is not at all a desireable scent for my deodarant. Who needs her armpits smelling like oranges? Oh wait, that happened to me today and I'm still here.

But in all seriousness, I probably wouldn't know until I got there. If you're really having these sorts of thoughts - and I can't tell from the tone of the OP - we're always here to listen and commiserate, and please find someone in RL to talk to as well. Life sucks sometimes, but having people who will listen goes a long way toward making things bearable.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
no, i's just askin'.

been there, [almost] done that

NOT there NOW... just askin' coz....

i don't 'member...?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
For me, one thing would be debilitating pain without the possibility of reprieve. I had a migraine once that, in my mind, had me begging for the person in the flat with me at the time to end it, in that way (I can't make myself type the right word, yeesh). I know how pathetic that sounds; I felt like that because it had been going on so long at such an intense level and felt like it would never end. I couldn't move and was only breathing slightly, and wasn't able to convey anything, so the person was spared any distress, and me the embarrassment afterwards. I meant it at the time, though. I have a lot of sympathy for people who want to end their life due to their physical condition, but are prevented by law from doing so in this country.

When I was in my late teens, early 20s, at university, I had suicidal thoughts. The only reason I didn't go through with it was knowing it would upset my family. That was all born out of self-loathing, a sense of no self-worth, etc. What I know now must have been a chemical imbalance, depression, but it lasted a long time.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If there came a day when I could find no evidence that anyone else in the world cared about beauty and possibility, I think that could break me, that I might lose it and take to ranting in the streets to all who would listen. Even on a day when I don't care, I need to know that others do.

I was asking myself last night if animals get excited about lovely or confusing patterns, do they wonder what astonishing thing might happen next? I hope they all do, not just the ravens and dolphins and elephants and apes, but all of them.

I'm connecting this now to my failed saint syndrome, which I wrestled with pretty regularly until figuring out I always make some difference, but never make all the difference -- and the same goes for everyone.

Much easier way to deal with feeling guilty or judgmental.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Absolutely nothing would make me end it all. I have suffered through things I would not wish on my worst enemy (like losing my kids for no good reason) and deal with several life threatening and life altering illnesses on a daily basis and I still thank God that I wake up every morning. Mainly because of my friends, but still. I'm happy to be alive no matter what. :)

Phoebe H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ph-unbalanced.livejournal.com
The last straw is when you believe that there is no hope that anything will ever get better. It's often comingled with believing that your very existence has become burdensome to the people you care about.

The previous straws vary all over the place, but probably involve large portions of stress, pain, and self-loathing.

What I tell people is that I was never actually suicidal, but was certainly close enough to feel the glow.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Lacewing

I do believe that animals enjoy beauty, perhaps not paintings, that is a matter of eyeball shape and focus. But even though people say dogs and cats see only in black and white and some shades of blue, mine have always been drawn to flowers. They never harmed them, did not pee on the recently dug up earth. They stopped and looked at each flower in each flower bed we passed. It made some flower owners nervous, some appreciated the larger world that sharing can give.

I've seen them look at butterflies without trying to capture them.

And I've noticed that some prefer pink to yellow when otherwise the blankets are the same color. So maybe only some are color blind.

To answer the question, I think sometimes one is given the choice and sometimes the choice maybe enough is enough. As others said -Physical, mental pain, desperation and a sense that nothing will ever get better. But you should always check your medications first, several perscription drugs have sucicde as a side effect and your doctor won't tell you because it might make you do it. So who would be to blame then? I think the doctor would and also think so if the drug might make you homocidal, but that's for another thread.
S

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
When I was a teenager, and I thought no one liked me, I'd look at every big bluff by the side of the road and wonder if I could drive fast enough into it to end my life. Then I figured that no one would come to the funeral anyway so why bother? Then a kid in band died in a car accident...and the whole freaking school emptied to attend the funeral - even people who didn't know him. So the next time I thought about ending it all, I figured that there would be a whole BUNCH of people at the funeral, but they wouldn't care about me.

Ug. I think teens are wired funny while their brains are still growing.

Now I'm 30ish. I once gave it some fairly serious thought when I was thinking about how much money I owed and how bad the world is, and how terrorists might blow everything up...blah blah blah. Lucky for me I have kids, and no matter how bad things look, they need me here.

I read a story in the paper when I was feeling very low - about a kid who lost his dad to suicide. And he was so angry and so sad about losing his dad. And I thought, I could never do this to my kids. So I keep plugging on. Some days are great. Some days stink.

Like Dennis Leary said: Life sucks - get a helmet.