Zogby Poll - 22% of Americans Believe Secession is a Right

I believe any state or region has the right to peaceably secede.

• Agree

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Disagree

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Given the attention Todd Palin's views on secession received, I wondered if secession was more popular than popularly reported. I found a Zogby poll that shows surprising (to me) support for the concept.
One in five American adults - 22% - believe that any state or region has the right to "peaceably secede from the United States and become an independent republic," a new Middlebury Institute/Zogby International telephone poll shows.
The primary question asked was this.
I believe any state or region has the right to peaceably secede and become an independent republic:
22% agreed, 73% disagreed, with 5% unsure
Backing was highest among the 18 to 24 age group (40%) and Hispanics (43%). Mainline liberals supported the notion almost two-to-one over mainline conservatives, at 32% to 17%.

A followup question that was asked.
I believe the United States' system is broken and cannot be fixed by traditional two-party politics and elections:
44% agreed, 53% disagreed, 3% not sure.
I happen to be a member of the 22% responding affirmatively to the first question, and the 44% agreeing with the second.

What say you?

Note: to parallel the Zogby poll, Orlando Bloom and Eggplant have been left off the poll. :D

Last edited:

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
It is a right, although so is being in the Klan. Doesn't make it "right" though.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It's not a right. It can't be, because it would allow for the rights of the minority to be trampled in the name of the majority.

If everyone in Florida wants to secede and I don't, I can be screwed out of my property and my citizenship?

This boat has sailed. Property is owned, nationwide.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
It's not a right. It can't be, because it would allow for the rights of the minority to be trampled in the name of the majority.

If everyone in Florida wants to secede and I don't, I can be screwed out of my property and my citizenship?

Ever hear of the Conch Republic?

They seceded where others failed. Or, at least, that's the slogan. What's funny about it is how seriously some old-timers on Key West took it--and still take it to this day.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il

While I understand your pov, but wouldn't supporting independance of Cosovo then be a hypocricy?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
While I understand your pov, but wouldn't supporting independance of Cosovo then be a hypocricy?
It's not a question of it being a "right" in such cases. It's a question of being able to make it happen.

Groups of people have no special rights because they all speak the same language, have the same bone structure, or worship the same God.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It is a right, although so is being in the Klan. Doesn't make it "right" though.
Ah, so self-determination = racism? That seems like quite a stretch... almost Godwinian in scope.

What dmytryp said. The democratic process doesn't apply to secession?

Who said you'd lose your property? The only thing you'd lose for sure is the $70,000 per household share of the national debt, and empty promises from FedGov. The question would center around the government that would replace FedGov.
Since when has FedGov not been hypocritical? :D
donroc said:
I believe the matterof seccession was settled definitively at the end the War for Southern Independence.
Been south of the Mason-Dixon line lately? :)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a question of it being a "right" in such cases. It's a question of being able to make it happen.

Groups of people have no special rights because they all speak the same language, have the same bone structure, or worship the same God.
...or the same belief that they're being unjustly controlled? Where were you when King George needed you? :D

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What dmytryp said. The democratic process doesn't apply to secession?
No. It doesn't apply to much of anything. A valid social contract cannot be legitmately opposed. Period. there is no "right" to be had, here.

Who said you'd lose your property? The only thing you'd lose for sure is the $70,000 per household share of the national debt, and empty promises from FedGov. The question would center around the government that would replace FedGov.
It's my property and it's located in the U.S.A. If my fellow citizens can change that fundamental designation against my will, it is no longer my property.

Now, address why it's okay to trample the rights of the minority in service to the idea of succession, to say nothing of future generations.

The Constitution guarantees me that it is Supreme. Barring a clause in it to allow for secession, the U.S. Government is constitutionally required to maintain that my property remains under the umbrella of its protection.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
...or the same belief that they're being unjustly controlled? Where were you when King George needed you? :D
The Revolutionary War was started and carried out by a minority of the population in the Colonies. They won. But they had no mandated right. Just a set of ideals. Not the same thing.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
"Been south of the Mason-Dixon line lately?"

Yes, suh, I live deep in the heart of Polk County, Florida. We carpetbaggers have been flooding the state for decades.

Regarding secession, a 7 Days in May attempted military coup by those who see themselves as patriots vs. a "dangerous" President may be more likely if one wishes to be anti-military and paranoid.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It may have been a right when we were "These United States." But now we're "The United States," so I'd have to say no.

Haven't we already fought a war over this? And didn't the Federalists win?

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
I believe the matter of seccession was settled definitively at the end the War for Southern Independence.
That's the 'War of Northern Agression", but still, you're right. State's Rights took a nearly fatal blow back in '60-'65.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree with the first (I don't believe secession is a right) and agree with the second (two-party system needs to go).

Secession is not a right both for the reasons Robvowel stated:

and because once you become a state, you become a part of a whole--and that whole is the United States of America. The "People" is no longer the people of your state, but of the whole nation. I'm a believer in Federalism, and I think the interests of any particular state are secondary to the interests of the Union.

Let's look at the Constitution:

Article IV said:
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

There is no explicit allowance for secession. Other interpretations may differ, but it makes sense to me that the process for a state to separate itself from the Union ought to be the same as to join it--it must be desired by the state, and affirmed by Congress.

I believe states desiring to do so may peaceably secede with the consent of Congress.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
[In the Constitution] ... There is no explicit allowance for secession. Other interpretations may differ, but it makes sense to me that the process for a state to separate itself from the Union ought to be the same as to join it--it must be desired by the state, and affirmed by Congress.

I believe states desiring to do so may peaceably secede with the consent of Congress.
Except that the Constitution is written as a list of things that the Federal Government can do -- anything not specifically mentioned, is reserved to the States and to the People. Since the Consitiution is silent on secession, then secession is reserved to the States and the People.

It was tried once, and didn't work. That doesn't mean that it won't be tried again. Next time, it might work.

And yes, I am a stong proponent of States rights, and minimal Federal government. For example, looking at their schedules, I see no reason why Congress should be in session more than five to six months per year.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I think I addressed this awhile back, in another thread.

Here in Southern Illinois there are a small number of folks who keep saying they want to secede from the state, and form their own (Springfield south. Some folks in Chicago would prefer that they took everything outside the collar counties with them.)

My thought is that Southern Illinois secede from the United States, not just one of them. Then we can apply for foreign aid. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Except that the Constitution is written as a list of things that the Federal Government can do -- anything not specifically mentioned, is reserved to the States and to the People. Since the Consitiution is silent on secession, then secession is reserved to the States and the People.

It was tried once, and didn't work. That doesn't mean that it won't be tried again. Next time, it might work.

And yes, I am a stong proponent of States rights, and minimal Federal government. For example, looking at their schedules, I see no reason why Congress should be in session more than five to six months per year.

But would it, then, be reserved to the state? Or to the People? I would say the People, which does not include only the people of the state.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
In the federally ratified state constitution of Texas, Texas has the right to break up into 4 states, without federal approval.

As far as the state's rights to secede, it's interpretive. There's no mention of it in the constitution, but the precedent set is that if you try to secede, you're labeled a “rebel” and a “threat” to the federal government. You're also subject to forced re-entry.