PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite words?

ZeroFlowne
10-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Some words make a wonderful sound as they roll off your tongue. Others have a meaning that you adore. Others still have a uniquely circular quality - they convey their own meaning through their sound. In this topic, we post our favorite words, and if inclined, the reason why we like them.

Rage - This might be my favorite word ever. Say it out loud, see how you build up power with the r before releasing it with the "age". Even if you whisper it and say it as sweetly as you can, it's filled with primal force.

Ethereal - The word itself sound ethereal. It has no strong sounds that pop out, they're all subdued and flowing.

Diaphanous - I just love the sound of this word - it feels like I'm speaking Elvish. Also, sheer clothes are great.

Aquiline - It has a nobility to it that I like. I've only ever seen it used to describe noses, though.

Alpha Echo
10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Luminescent - I want to be luminescent!

Dusk - There's something magical about this word to me. And there's something magical about that time of day. You see some of the brighter stars and the moon, and yet the sun hasn't completely set yet. The sky is so perfect in shades of blue and purple with gold and orange and yellow where the sun is slipping behind the horizen...love it.

Hmm, those are the only ones that pop into my head at this moment, but I'm pretty sure I have others. I'll be back...

DeleyanLee
10-22-2008, 07:04 PM
My favoritest word: Home

My favorite word of the moment: Slumber--something I don't get enough of and it's more fun to say than "sleep"

MissKris
10-22-2008, 07:37 PM
agrestic: the moment I say or think it my mind conjures up images of well traveled country backroads and u-pick farms with barefoot kids running around shouting and laughing.

jannawrites
10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Licenses or princesses, just because of the repeating ess sound. They're so fun to say!

Clio
10-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Dusk - There's something magical about this word to me. And there's something magical about that time of day. You see some of the brighter stars and the moon, and yet the sun hasn't completely set yet. The sky is so perfect in shades of blue and purple with gold and orange and yellow where the sun is slipping behind the horizen...love it.

Same for me - I love the light at dusk and the sound of the word itself.

Tranquil - one of my favourites. I love its meaning and I love the way the word flows in the mouth

Cornucopia - one you can't really drop into fiction too often, but I love this word and the symbol it conjures of the overflowing horn of plenty.

Grrarrgh
10-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Onomatopoeia. I absolutely love that word.

jannawrites
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I like to say Okinawa, too. :)

Mr Flibble
10-22-2008, 08:21 PM
pendulous
flibbertigibbet

Both for the sound / texture when I say them

arse! - because, well just I like the way I feel when I say it:)

I'm sure I'll think of more...so many yummy words, so little time!

Del
10-22-2008, 08:31 PM
My favorite words; Here's your check.

aka eraser
10-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Spiffy.

mrockwell
10-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Diaphanous - I just love the sound of this word - it feels like I'm speaking Elvish. Also, sheer clothes are great.

One of my favorites, too. :) It sounds like it ought to be the name of a Greek goddess.

I also like nacreous and alacrity, just because.

-- Marcy

ABekah
10-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Bubble, it sounds the way it looks
Aesthetically (pleasing): phrase rather than word
Panther, don't ask, I'm not sure why

darrtwish
10-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Curfuffle.
Ostentatious.

jennifer75
10-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Some words make a wonderful sound as they roll off your tongue. Others have a meaning that you adore. Others still have a uniquely circular quality - they convey their own meaning through their sound. In this topic, we post our favorite words, and if inclined, the reason why we like them.

Did ya ever watch the "Inside the Actors Studio" with Julia Lewis Dreyfus??? She tells him her favorite word is F@ck. And she explains why.

I'm with her.

Cherry Bear
10-23-2008, 08:05 AM
epitome - Ever since I first learned what this word meant, and I discovered how to spell it, I've absolutely adored it. I love dropping it into a conversation, partially because I love saying it, and partially because it makes me feel intelligent and superior. Although lately, since I've started taking Spanish, I keep picking out the "tome" and thinking of the Spanish verb "to take".

enigmatic - I constantly trip over this word when I try to say it, but I love typing it into what I write. The meaning is fabulous, and ironically fitting to the word - it practically describes itself! If it were a person, I would hug it and adore it. (Is it strange to sometimes think of words as people? Sometimes I think that you can only group certain people together or else it doesn't fit right - it works the same with words!)

Coincidentally, both of these start with e but I can't be bothered to think of anymore right now and offset my pattern.

kct webber
10-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Jackassery. :D

EriRae
10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
live, and its reverse, evil.

Bartholomew
10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Eldritch. I need no reason, mortals.

Pagey's_Girl
10-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Preternatural. It's so beautifully Lovecraftian. Ginormous may or may not be considered a word, but I love the way it sounds. Gossamer sounds the way it looks and so do shimmer and sparkle.

CaroGirl
10-23-2008, 04:41 PM
I like aqueous because of the way it sounds, the way it looks and its meaning. Mezzanine is a cool word.

I also really like to say Zimbabwe. That is the most fun proper noun to say.

Ms. Jem
10-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Chrysalis

A heavenly way to say cocoon. Love it so much I would probably not consider it a ridiculous baby name.

sunna
10-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Sussurus. I love me my onomatopoeia. And it's so evocative.

Synchrony. I almost never get to use that one.

Glimmer, glitter, and for no particular reason I can think of, orangutan.

ABekah
10-23-2008, 10:09 PM
We need to write a poem or story using all these words.

sassandgroove
10-24-2008, 01:34 AM
Gala
Jejune- except is shouldn't be dull- it sounds too unordinary
empyreal

There are more, but you know, i could have told you before you asked.

Danger Jane
10-24-2008, 07:33 AM
I love "archipelago", the sounds and the meaning.

I also really love the, ahem, the REAL c-word, because it feels very satisfying to say. However, only in the appropriate company. So I don't say it very often and when I do...it makes me satisfied. Sort of like the noise my computer makes when I empty the comp-trash does. Except differently.

kuwisdelu
10-24-2008, 07:41 AM
I also really love the, ahem, the REAL c-word, because it feels very satisfying to say. However, only in the appropriate company. So I don't say it very often and when I do...it makes me satisfied. Sort of like the noise my computer makes when I empty the comp-trash does. Except differently.

I know exactly what you mean.

Ms. Jem
10-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Archangel - it says power.

stormie
10-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Egregious--I love the way it sounds. (But as long as it's not used about my writing. :) )

I also love ethereal and diaphanous.

A word that connotes a vision of a woman from before the 1960s who wore orthopedic shoes, a frumpy dress, and hair pinned up in a tight bun is appalled. I picture one of those types of women looking self-righteous with their hand to their chest, clutching a scented hanky. I love using that word. Gets kids attention fast.

Me:"I'm appalled at that behavior!"
Kid (thinking): Huh? She's what at my behavior? I'm really in trouble now.

Virector
10-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Darkness. I love that word- I mumble it to myself every 5 minutes or so.

Ms. Jem
10-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Courtesan

Everytime I come across it I think of a princess, 'cause that's what it sounds like to me.

Ms. Jem
11-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Liaison

A cool, naughty, sophisticated reminder of the last century's secret assignations.