Status
Not open for further replies.

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
OK. Several people have told me that I need to create a website since I'm wanting (hoping) writing novels will eventually turn into a full-time job. I have thought that it's probably best to wait until I get an agent before I create a website. I have a blog page where I post bits and pieces about my writing. What are your opinions, if any?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to "create the website" but you should reserve a domain of your full name (or your full "pen name") ASAP before someone else gets it. If it's already snarfed up, you may have to settle for <your name>author.com or <yourname>writer.com. It's about $10 per year.

As far as actually creating the website and putting content on it, I don't know if it makes much difference or not at this point. Looks like you've already got blog content for an interested agent to look at.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Madison,

Why are you thinking about creating a website now? What would you put on it and what would be the purpose?

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
I would put info about me, my books, upcoming projects, and writing advice. I love authors who have websites because then I get to learn more about them. I know that as an author I would LOVE to hear from my readers and I want them to get to know me just as much as I want to get to know them. That said, I would also include contact info, which would include an e-mail address that I check nearly every day. As I said, I have planned on waiting till I have the agent.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely reserve your domain name. I owned susanbreen and then I let it lapse and I lost it and now I have susanjbreen, which is fine, but not exactly the same. I also own thefictionclass.com and that's good because it links up to the susanjbreen site.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
It's really up to you. There's no reason you have to have a website now, but if you'd like to then I say go for it. If you can think of things that you would like to put on the site now and you're willing to do the work and keep it updated, great. If not, then wait. I do agree about the domain name, though. You don't want to wait until it's already taken.

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
I'd get the domain name and create the website now. I can't see that it would hurt; and having a web presence is crucial today. What to put on it? General bio, projects, contest wins if any, even a free read. Build a readership.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I say grab the domain name, don't worry about the website. If you have the time/expertise to put together something very nice and professional, go ahead; if not, waiting until you have an agent or even a sale won't hurt you at all. (Whereas putting up something that doesn't look professional potentially could, though really I doubt it matters.)

David Wisehart

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidwisehart.com
Get your domain name now. Create a simple website now. Add what you can when you can.

The earlier you establish an online presence, the better. This is especially true for establishing "authority" in Google search rankings. The age of your site will matter. Let's say it takes five years for you to write, sell, and publish your book. Promoting it on a five-year-old site will be better for Google visibility than promoting it on a brand new site. Do what you can today. Mark your territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.