A Wine Whine.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
When a recipe calls for red wine, which do you use? Merlot? Cab? Pinot? Shiraz? Zin? And why????

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Ooohh ... a wine question.

I once saw a Tyler Florence episode where he traveled to Burgundy and worked with a vineyard owner in making Boeuf Bourgignone (sp?). The winery owner used 2 bottles of the estate's burgundy in the stew at $50 a pop!

*checks pockets*

Not at my house, hon.

Anyway, I'd likely use any of the ones you mentioned except the Shiraz (too spicy IMHO for the beef dish). My favorite wine store owner says only cook with what you'd drink. I find that any 'cheap' wine will do. I'm sure others will come out with differing opinions. (Like my wine-snob BIL - but he has no clue what AW is.)

Bon appetit!!

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how much wine it calls for: For a small amount, I will use whatever I feel like drinking, cab., pinot or merlot. If it calls for more than a glass, I use a two buck chuck cabernet.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got a favorite "calls for wine" recipe?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Spaghetti sauce... I didn't realize just how much flavor that addition of wine makes! It really does release those flavors from the tomato that can't be released in any other way. A half cup or so of that leftover Merlot is incredible.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Spaghetti sauce... I didn't realize just how much flavor that addition of wine makes! It really does release those flavors from the tomato that can't be released in any other way. A half cup or so of that leftover Merlot is incredible.

I've never added it to spaghetti sauce. Thanks for the suggestion!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I mostly just drink reds no matter what I'm eating. Cabs, Shiraz...whatever. Merlots aren't my favorites, but I'm learning to like them. Occasionally, I like a white, but most of the time not. Whether I'm eating fish or steak, I go with red b/c I like dry wines. I know there are dry whites, I'm just not a huge fan.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Question for ya, I make my own sauce with tomato sauce from the can, onions, seasonings, and my secret ingredient - will the wine water it down???? Or should I compensate with more tomato sauce???

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I answered this wrong. :tongue

I use white. Whatever I happen to have in the fridge honestly. I'm not a chef, but my food's good.

Hmmmm, I wanna take a cooking class...

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Question for ya, I make my own sauce with tomato sauce from the can, onions, seasonings, and my secret ingredient - will the wine water it down???? Or should I compensate with more tomato sauce???

OFG may do it differently, but when I cook with red wine in a sauce or stew I add it after I've sauteed the onions, garlic, carrots (whatever) to deglaze the pan, then let the wine reduce. It thickens a bit and concentrates the flavors. If you do it that way, it won't water down your sauce. It might add a few minutes (5-10?) time onto cooking time.

OK - must stop posting and cook dinner. We're having fried chicken sans wine.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

Mmmm, I'll have to try it!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I know what I'm havin for dinner tonight.

Farking bear traps, make eating so damn impossible. I can slurp spaghetti noodles though.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com

See below... vixey does it just like I do.

OFG may do it differently, but when I cook with red wine in a sauce or stew I add it after I've sauteed the onions, garlic, carrots (whatever) to deglaze the pan, then let the wine reduce. It thickens a bit and concentrates the flavors. If you do it that way, it won't water down your sauce. It might add a few minutes (5-10?) time onto cooking time.

Or, if I'm in a hurry, I just throw it in at the very end of all the ingredients and let it simmer.