So I have this pressure cooker

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
My kids got it for me as a birthday present.

The trouble is, I've never had one before. Never used one before.

What do I do with it?

(be nice)

Deleted member 42

I remember my mom making us all leave the kitchen when she used the pressure cooker . . .

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I have a pressure cooker...She will turn 50 next month. :)

But if you mean a pot with a lock down lid...

Jellies and jams are made in a pressure cooker. The idea is if you can smell it you are losing flavor...so take it from there. Try a small roast. It will likely melt on the fork.

But if you really want to use it right...drill a little hole in the lid. Attach a coiled copper tubing. Fill cooker with...well, what ever fruit or veggy, we used Welches Grape Juice...and put a cup under the open end. Drink slowly. The distilled grape juice knocked our knees out from under us. I think it may have been 240 proof...or maybe jet fuel. :)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
But if you really want to use it right...drill a little hole in the lid. Attach a coiled copper tubing. Fill cooker with...well, what ever fruit or veggy, we used Welches Grape Juice...and put a cup under the open end. Drink slowly. The distilled grape juice knocked our knees out from under us. I think it may have been 240 proof...or maybe jet fuel. :)

*taking notes*

Haggis - the title of the thread made me cringe.

A friend's elderly mother got caught in a spray of REALLY HOT applesauce when her pressure cooker exploded. I'll make my applesauce in a regular pot on the stove, thank you very much. That goes for anything else I want to cook.

That said, my father likes to cook a country ham in his (small section).

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com

Seriously? Does the pressure cooker ferment the juice or something? I'm intrigued now. How does it taste?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I remember my mom making us all leave the kitchen when she used the pressure cooker . . .

Same here. To this day, I refuse to use one.

Seriously, Haggis... I've been cooking on my own now for nighonta 35 years and I've managed to do so without a pressure cooker. The invention of the microwave took care of 'hurry up' cookin' for me.

I think you can can stuff in it... do you have a garden with an abundance of vegetables that won't do well in the water-bath method?

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score

Brilliant!
party-drunk.gif

Whatever you do, DO NOT COOK RICE IN IT!

One grain blocking that valve thingy can blow your socks off when you try to release the pressure.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Gah!

You're all frightening me. Except for Del, who's given me an idea for a great, new part-time job. Now all I gotta do is buy some Kool Aide and cheap mason jars, and keep away from the Revenuers.

OFG, sadly, the ex got the garden (along with the rest of the property, the buildings on it, the savings, the checking....) so there won't be any canning going on.

Meow? What's the deal with chicken stock made in the pressure cooker? Better, or just faster?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
From what I've heard, faster.

I don't have a pressure cooker myself, but IIRC Alton Brown did a show on it and I think there's where I heard about it.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to take the top off and use the bottom for a planter. Grow something like basil or cilantro. Seriously, I've never used one. I got two as wedding gifts 36 years ago, and promptly gave them both away. My mother used them back in the forties and very early fifties, and encouraged me to get rid of them. They are good for cooking tough cuts of meat till they are tender (that's what a crock pot is for, without the explosion potential). The other thing they are good for is canning non-acidic foods. If you are canning meat or fish, or vegetables like green beans or corn, you need to seal the jars under pressure. If you are going to be doing that type of canning, you really need more info than we can give you here. Locate your local Agricultural extension service of your state university and get the full info from them.

MM

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i'm in the same boat as ofg and medi,......my mom would load that thing up and keep everyone out of the kitchen. i'm still scared of them even though i haven't seen one in 30 years.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
I used to use mine to make a beef stew. The meat would come out awesome & totally just melt in your mouth. Now hubby does most of the cooking and he gets almost the same effect from a crock pot.

This is too funny you posted this today - my parents are visiting and we just talked about an incident a few years back. You know how you tell a guy "DON'T PICK!" at the meal. My dad never listened. He had to know what was in the pot... how the hell he got it opened while it was doing its thing is a great mystery of the universe. You just about have to use the jaws of life when it stops :ROFL: It took him hours to clean the ceiling!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I love them. The food always tastes so great and tender.

Very few young folks use them no days...and that is sad. What I like about them is that you can cook a whole meal in one in such a short time and keep all the vits. and goodies plus all the great flavors at the same time.

They are great to use for roasts with your potatos, onions, celery, etc. all dumped right in with it. The juice or gravey is yummmmmmy. Just add some thickening and ohhh la la....not to mention the smells that will fill the air.

Good luck and have a great time with it Haggis.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is too funny you posted this today - my parents are visiting and we just talked about an incident a few years back. You know how you tell a guy "DON'T PICK!" at the meal. My dad never listened. He had to know what was in the pot... how the hell he got it opened while it was doing its thing is a great mystery of the universe. You just about have to use the jaws of life when it stops :ROFL: It took him hours to clean the ceiling!

:roll:

My Mom did something similar while making whipped cream in a tupperware shaker. You would put the cream in, seal the lid, and shake vigorously for 10 minutes or so. The lid wasn't sealed and went flying in mid-shake. I'm not sure she ever got all of it off the ceiling because the ceiling was white and so was the cream.

MM