PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant

Calliopenjo
10-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Complete this sentence:

I walked into the restaurant and ___ at the hostess desk.

I originally said checked in. I always say checked in at the hostess desk. Somebody told me though you check in at the hospital.

Help?

Puma
10-21-2008, 01:47 AM
put my name in - that's what I usually do. Puma

JoNightshade
10-21-2008, 01:58 AM
"I walked into the restaurant and gave my name to the hostess."
"I walked into the restaurant and confirmed my reservation with the hostess."
"I walked into the restaurant and asked the hostess to put my party on the waiting list."

Mumut
10-21-2008, 02:18 AM
I always say checked in at the hostess desk. Somebody told me though you check in at the hospital. Help?

Can't you do both? I don't think checking in is restricted to hospitals. I check in at a hotel when I'm off book signing. If it sound natural, use it.

Chase
10-21-2008, 03:08 AM
Can't you do both? I don't think checking in is restricted to hospitals. I check in at a hotel when I'm off book signing. If it sound natural, use it.

Agreeing here with Mumut. "Check in" is a colloquialism, even in a hospital setting, where you may also register, take a number, undergo triage, and so on.

Since the narration is first-person, use of colloquialisms depend upon the characterization of the character/narrator.

I have to politely ignore those who want my imperfect first-person writer to possess the same perfekt pros sew evidant inn me owen wanderful writting.

jennifer75
10-21-2008, 03:13 AM
I walked in the door and headed towards the hostess counter. "Good evening, sir, how many in your party? You're looking at about 25 minutes, would you like me to take your name down?"

Or

I walked through the doors to my favorite mexican restaurant, my mouth watering in anticipation of the famous blue corn enchiladas, and signed my name on the list. The lobby was packed, thank heavens I called in advance with my reservation.

vixey
10-21-2008, 03:15 AM
paused

WendyNYC
10-21-2008, 03:16 AM
I check in with the hostess. I also check in at the front desk at the gym.

Of JoNightshade's suggestions, I like numero uno the best.

Calliopenjo
10-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Thanks for your help guys. You certainly gave me a few ideas.

Deb Kinnard
10-21-2008, 05:36 AM
You don't check in at a hospital. You're admitted.

StephanieFox
10-21-2008, 06:05 AM
...Checked with the hostess

Checked on my reservation with the hostess...

FinbarReilly
10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
1) You check into a hotel; you're getting a key and some basic amenities (such as turn-down service and a wake-up call), as well as a room. Also, although the proper term is "admitted", you can check into a hospital.

2) You can check in with the hostess, just as you can with anyone you need to let know that you're there; however, the proper term is "confirming your reservation" (which is what you're hopefully doing). When you check in with the military, it's called reporting.

If it helps....
FR

JJ Cooper
10-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I walked into the restaurant, bypassed the hostess desk and headed striaght for the bar.

I walked into the restaurant, tripped and banged my head on the hostess desk.

I walked into the restaurant, stood on the hostess desk, stripped to my socks and declared a national night of nakedness.

JJ

RJK
10-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I walked into the restaurant and confirmed my regular table for one in the corner by the fireplace.

Williebee
10-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I walked into the restaurant and smiled at the hostess.

If she knew me/I was a regular, she called me by name and said my table was almost ready, or showed me there.

If not, she said, "Welcome. There's currently a ten minute wait. Your name, sir?"

sassandgroove
10-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I stopped for a flirt at the hostess desk.

Sass- who was a hostess. :)