Accused of stealing

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
I have an eight year old in my story (mature for her age but very unsophisticated) accused of stealing some money. She didn't steal it, but does find the money later and her family needs it desperately. She's afraid to tell anyone she's got it because they'll think for sure she had it all the time.

How do you think she'd react during this time?

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
First, who made the accusation, her parents, a neighbor...? I'm sure she would be confused, conflicted and as you say afraid. This really is a no win situation as you describe it. My guess as a child she would naively turn it over and get punished. That's just me coming from my upbringing. BTW how much $$$ are we talking about?
I once found a roll of singles that amounted to $7. I blabbed to my older brother who promptly went to my hiding place, took it and spent it.
Lesson learned.
C

I have an eight year old in my story (mature for her age but very unsophisticated) accused of stealing some money. She didn't steal it, but does find the money later and her family needs it desperately. She's afraid to tell anyone she's got it because they'll think for sure she had it all the time.

How do you think she'd react during this time?

Last edited:

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
First, who made the accusation, her parents, a neighbor...? I'm sure she would be confused, conflicted and as you say afraid. This really is a no win situation as you describe it. My guess as a child she would naively turn it over and get punished. That's just me coming from my upbringing. BTW how much $$$ are we talking about?
I once found a roll of singles that amounted to $7. I blabbed to my older brother who promptly went to my hiding place, took it and spent it.
Lesson learned.
C

A grandma whose son (the girl's daddy) thinks the moon rises because of her made the accusation, so he's going to side with granny. The amount of money has not been established. It can be anywhere from 20 to 100 dollars. I'm leaning more toward twenty because it's more realistic in the situation and in the time period, it'd buy a lot.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
If it was me, as a child - knowing what could/would happen. I would hide the money or give it away. For, the repurcussions (even in the face of starving) would outweigh my desire to keep it. I could not do it. I asked my two sisters. They both said they would hide it and not bring it about until it was well forgotten and say they found it on the way home from school. The one sister - a bit of a stinker - said she would go to store, buy something for less than a buck and bring home the change saying she found that much and give it to the family. IF it was critical that the family have it.

Christine

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, you should stay true to you little girl's character. If she is honest but fearful, she may leave it on the table and deny knowing about it. If she is devious, she may hide it. If she is a brat she will accuse and even plant the money on someone else. I can't advise, since I do not know the character of you little girl.

Smiles
Bob

PS: In 90% of the cases the parents find out one way or the other.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
My younger brother has a story about when he was 7 or 8 years old. He and a friend were caught shoplifting. His friend was the same age but had brothers who taught him how to shoplift candy. He was much more world wise. My brother wasn't sure it was stealing or not. After all the candy was sitting there on the shelf right there in front of him.
He took a Payday candy bar and a YoYo. His friend filled his pockets. As they left the store the manager called them back in and scared the daylights out of them and sent them home.
At that age, he had no idea what stealing was, but he did know that he was doing something wrong. He knew it wasn't his candy and no one gave him permission to take it.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Who stole the money in the first place?
Has the child ever been accused of stealing before?
Has the real thief done this before?
Has the one who's made the accusation ever made false accusations before?
Is this theft a crucial part of the MC's life--the latter actions that are taken?

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
My younger brother has a story about when he was 7 or 8 years old. He and a friend were caught shoplifting. His friend was the same age but had brothers who taught him how to shoplift candy. He was much more world wise. My brother wasn't sure it was stealing or not. After all the candy was sitting there on the shelf right there in front of him.
He took a Payday candy bar and a YoYo. His friend filled his pockets. As they left the store the manager called them back in and scared the daylights out of them and sent them home.
At that age, he had no idea what stealing was, but he did know that he was doing something wrong. He knew it wasn't his candy and no one gave him permission to take it.

Thanks for another perspective.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is character development -- the reaction will depend upon the child's personality. First of all, when the child is unjustly accused of stealing, I think she would hotly deny it. But, she may be so shocked by the accusation from a powerful person that she is almost tounge-tied. Or she could just burst out crying, for the same reason. (Or, arguably, wet her pants.) What do you WANT to happen??

Second, when she finds the money...even intelligent children are usually not very subtle or manipulative (unless they have been manipulated all their lives.) So she might just turn the money in, and then be surprised when no one believes that she just found it. Or, she could figure she's already been "found guilty" so she may as well keep the money... and give it to her parents. Again, whatever you want to happen, can happen.