Apple or PC

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I'm planning to buy a laptop. My existing computer is a Dell (tower) PC.
Should I buy another PC or go for an Apple Mac?

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
What's leading you to consider switching OSes?

I bought my first Mac (a Mac Pro tower) in late July.

For the next few weeks I had an awkward time moving between that and my Win notebook computer. Moving back and forth made it harder for me to remember what the keystrokes were on either machine. And I was limited in the kinds of software I could use if I wanted to work on a file on both machines--e.g. no Scrivener on Win, no Windows Live Writer (blogging SW) on Mac.

I have friends who are perfectly happy running 3 different OSes, and switching back and forth all the time. I didn't like it at all.

So within three weeks I bit the bullet and plundered my checking account and replaced my Win notebook with a Mac Air.

I'm glad I switched. And I'm glad I didn't stay in multi-OS mode very long.

Dale

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Hi Dale. I have always worked in MS Windows. I thought it might be fun to try the alternative. I am planning to keep my laptop offline, to use it for word processing (in a comfortable armchair - this one is killing me) and spreadsheets. So I will need the Office suite, which I understand I can get for Apple. Apart from that, I was hoping for better media (ie picture) handling software. I would also use the laptop to run movies. Finally, mac users seem enthusiastic. What's that all about?

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
The rule I like to use ,when it comes to buying a new computer,find the software you need and like .Then find a reasonably priced machine to run it on.It's the end result that count.

Last edited:

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I am part of the Microsoft collective. I think Mac users are more forgiving of their computer's foibles (perhaps because they just take a persnickety machine to the shop?) than the average Windows user. I think that since there are more average windows users than pro Windows users, any enthusiasm gets drowned out by the complaints. Not saying they aren't valid complaints, some of them. But I think many of the "problems" with Windows comes from lack of user knowledge. People don't know what they're doing and don't bother to learn, so they blame the computer when it was the user that inadvertently changed something. (For example, a computer doesn't crash for 'no' reason, but people claim it does. Something went wrong. That something CAN be identified and fixed.)

I have no interest in a Mac. So far, for my purposes, there has been nothing that Windows couldn't do for me. I used to be forced to fiddle with my boss's Mac when she's have trouble with it... and as an advanced Win user, I repeatedly got exceptionally frustrated because the commands and run-arounds were not available.

You'll just have to decide if you want to make the adjustment to Mac or not. Some people love 'em. Some people really do love their Windows machines (I do!). Some people even eat coconut... even though it comes in thick, hard shell!

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
If you should decide on a Mac, shop the refurbished page of the online Apple Store. Your humble author is typing this on a refurbished previous top-o'-the-line MacBook (2.4Ghz motor, black case, 2GB of RAM, 250GB hard drive). It was $400 off the original price and $200 off the clearance price for a new one. Wait a couple months and refurbished aluminum MacBooks should start showing up.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I spent a decade plus in the Windows world, followed by a long stint with Linux. I have now settled on Apple for all of my personal computing.

In the few years I've been all Mac, I've had one hardware problem and very few legitimate software problems. There are learning curves with switching but they're easy enough to work through. And Scrivener is hands down the best writing program I've ever used, which was part of my decision when buying my first Mac.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I considered a Mac when I was shopping around for my laptop last year. I like how Macs are "allegedly" virus-proof (although that's mostly because what's the fun in writing a virus that only effects 2 people?). And I do like the new GUI interface, but I'm cheap and for the price of a low end Mac I was able to get a fantastic HP with all the bells and whistles.

And I'm like the only person on Earth who actually likes Vista. I now have 2 Vista laptops.

Adam Israel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I considered a Mac when I was shopping around for my laptop last year. I like how Macs are "allegedly" virus-proof (although that's mostly because what's the fun in writing a virus that only effects 2 people?). And I do like the new GUI interface, but I'm cheap and for the price of a low end Mac I was able to get a fantastic HP with all the bells and whistles.

And I'm like the only person on Earth who actually likes Vista. I now have 2 Vista laptops.

Emphasis mine. I love how, anytime there is a question about Apple someone will blindly throw in a "fact" about marketshare. No matter that you should choose the one that best fits you and what you want to do. It's just fun to be "that guy" and spew false information.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Oh dear, another PC vs. Mac debate. ;)

It depends on if you're happy with the PC and how much you can spend. A PC laptop is cheaper (unless you're going for the super-loaded). If you're not familiar with the Mac, there will be a learning curve (but arguably easier to use).

The great thing about the MacBook, etc. is that they use Intel chips, so you can have dual boot (via Bootcamp) or virtual machines such as VirtualPC or Parallel. So you can have the best of both worlds.

I've had bootcamp for a number of years, running both Windows and Mac, but eventually I find that I can do almost everything I need on the Mac, so I got rid of the Bootcamp partition. Occasionally, when I do need to use Windows, I'll run a VirtualPC session off an external hard drive. Works like a charm.

What you should do is to go to a local retailer (I think BestBuy sells Macs now) and check them out yourself. It really depends on many things: familiarity, price, software, and what you want to do with it. If you do a lot of gaming, you'd probably better off with the PC, although the gaps are closing now that the MacBooks are getting new and faster graphics cards.

I have been a Windows power user for years (also an IT professional working with PC and Unix platforms). I switched to the Mac four years ago and never looked back. It's really great to not have to deal with the constant system crashes, updates, virus/spyware protection, registry crap, etc. In four years, my MacBook Pro rarely crashed. I only had to take it to the Apple Store for a repair once -- and it was FREE! Can't beat that.

Last edited:

Adam Israel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I like how Mac users are so hypersensitive.

:Shrug:

:)

Ok, you two. Let's not rehash this one.

I'll take you back to StephenF's comments.

Let how you are going to use it drive what you get.

Good advice to live by. Choice of computer, regardless of vendor or operating system, should be based on what you intend to use it for.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dale. I have always worked in MS Windows. I thought it might be fun to try the alternative. I am planning to keep my laptop offline, to use it for word processing (in a comfortable armchair - this one is killing me) and spreadsheets. So I will need the Office suite, which I understand I can get for Apple. Apart from that, I was hoping for better media (ie picture) handling software. I would also use the laptop to run movies. Finally, mac users seem enthusiastic. What's that all about?

Given what you want to do with it, I'd say keep with the PC. I too, point you back to stephenf's comment.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Given what you want to do with it, I'd say keep with the PC. I too, point you back to stephenf's comment.

Actually, no, I think the Mac is better in that regard. Office Suites run on the Mac, and I have to say the Mac has better media and video capability.

Just my thought.

Now, if he's only interested in doing Word and Excel, then he can probably get a much cheaper laptop ($500-$800) running Windows. To me, that would be the biggest factor. Although the MacBook has dropped under $1000, so the price gap is closing.

As for the enthusiasm part... you won't know until you actually have been a Mac user for a while. Just not having to deal with constant virus/spyware/crap is a HUGE deal for me, at least. Plus the Mac is just a pleasure to use -- and I've used everything from all versions of Windows (back to the Win3 time) to OS2 to Unix to VAX to Atari... It's kind of like the enthusiasm toward Obama vs. McCain -- both are very capable candidate. But there's just something about Obama that makes people go nuts sometimes.

Last edited:

Bill Ward

billwardwriter.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billwardwriter.com
I think a Mac laptop is overkill for something that is just purely for writing. It isn't like you can buy last year's model, or one with low specs, to save some money. So at the minimum you'd be spending a thousand dollars. I'd imagine it would be a good movie watching machine, however.

I'd hesitate to buy a Macbook at this point, as I understand they are being phased out for a new basic model laptop. One can hope it has the Macbook pro's keyboard -- I think the present Macbook has a lousy keyboard.

You can get more bang for your buck with a PC laptop -- and if you plan on keeping it offline virus immunity is a non-issue.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Never mind, I didn't see that you wished to keep it offline. In that case, the virus thing is moot. Also, if you already have Office suites, then go with the PC. It's cheaper and have everything you need for what you want to do.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Scrivener etc

...Scrivener is hands down the best writing program I've ever used, which was part of my decision when buying my first Mac.

I've heard about Scrivener, but haven't seen it yet. Does it produce typescript that can be sent out and read by others (like beta readers, editors, agents and publishers?)

Actually, no, I think the Mac is better in that regard. Office Suites run on the Mac, and I have to say the Mac has better media and video capability.

Just my thought.

Now, if he's only interested in doing Word and Excel, then he can probably get a much cheaper laptop ($500-$800) running Windows. To me, that would be the biggest factor. Although the MacBook has dropped under $1000, so the price gap is closing.

As for the enthusiasm part... you won't know until you actually have been a Mac user for a while. Just not having to deal with constant virus/spyware/crap is a HUGE deal for me, at least. Plus the Mac is just a pleasure to use -- and I've used everything from all versions of Windows (back to the Win3 time) to OS2 to Unix to VAX to Atari... It's kind of like the enthusiasm toward Obama vs. McCain -- both are very capable candidate. But there's just something about Obama that makes people go nuts sometimes.

The video capability is something I would be interested in. The price is not a big issue (*ahem*) I think the macbook pro would cost me about 1500 euro (new, not refurbed).

I, too, have worked for years (would you believe 30?) in computer software, so I'm not frightened of operating systems (Linux scares me, though!)

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I am surprised to hear that this topic has come up before.

:ROFL:

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Be advised the new Macbooks DO NOT HAVE FIREWIRE PORTS.

This is a MAJOR step down if you are dealing in media/video. Apparently, Apple has decided if you edit video, you need to do it on the MacbookPro.

So in essence, they have paired BACK on the useability while increasing the price of the Macbook line.

FYI

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Firewire

Be advised the new Macbooks DO NOT HAVE FIREWIRE PORTS.

This is a MAJOR step down if you are dealing in media/video. Apparently, Apple has decided if you edit video, you need to do it on the MacbookPro.

So in essence, they have paired BACK on the useability while increasing the price of the Macbook line.

FYI

What are Firewire Ports?

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
If you don't know, you don't need 'em! Don't worry.

Firewire is the Apple tradename for I-link and ieee-1394 connectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire

They come in various flavors, including firewire 400 and firewire 800. A way for connecting peripherals like your USB port, but sustains much higher continuous data rates.

Firewire is the primary means of transferring video from Cameras to the computer for editing. Also connecting external drives for media storage. Editing requires a higher data rate than simple data retrieval.

The new Macbooks no longer have a firewire port. Which I think is funny, because one of the big selling points with Apple in the early years was that it was 'already firewire ready' - unlike most PC's which required you to install a firewire port.

No longer the case.

Adam Israel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I've heard about Scrivener, but haven't seen it yet. Does it produce typescript that can be sent out and read by others (like beta readers, editors, agents and publishers?)

Yes. It has a variety of options when creating a new project (short story, screen play, novel, comic, etc) and by default will export them into ready to send manuscripts.

There's a video on the site that will demonstrate the common functionality. It is, hands down, the best writing program I've ever used.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Scrivener

Yes. It has a variety of options when creating a new project (short story, screen play, novel, comic, etc) and by default will export them into ready to send manuscripts.

There's a video on the site that will demonstrate the common functionality. It is, hands down, the best writing program I've ever used.

Is it compatible with MS-Word dcouments?

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
The new Macbooks no longer have a firewire port. Which I think is funny, because one of the big selling points with Apple in the early years was that it was 'already firewire ready' - unlike most PC's which required you to install a firewire port.

No longer the case.
The $999 MacBook White, as it's now called, still has a single FireWire 400 port and an optical SuperDrive (reads and writes CDs and DVDs). Steve Jobs says they're still selling like hotcakes, so expect a run on the last of the previous generation models as word gets out.