Roll Call: Fiction Writer or Freelance Articles/Blog/Content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwallace

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious what the ratio of freelance writers in non-fiction disciplines to fiction writers is round here...chime in with your specialty! And why you're more interested in one and not the other...or if you write BOTH!

TheAntar

Registered
Reaction score
Ultimately more interested in fiction, but I feel that nonfiction/freelancing will be required to a) build publishing credits faster and b) start making enough money to get away from a full-time career, to open up more time for fiction :)

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Just curious what the ratio of freelance writers in non-fiction disciplines to fiction writers is round here...chime in with your specialty! And why you're more interested in one and not the other...or if you write BOTH!
I'm far more interested in fiction than nonfiction. Most of my time is spent on my current novel-in-progress but occasionally I take nonfiction assignments.

rljude

Registered
Reaction score
Both...and happy to say that my writing partner and I completed manuscript for 20 chapter educational supplement today that contains fiction and nonfiction! (doing the happy dance)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a non-fiction guy all the way. I've written news articles, editorials and commentary for years and I started blogging about five months ago.

Why? Why you wanna know?

The paranoia runs deep. :gone:

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Both for me...

My short stories are by far the most successful part of my writing, but I've made some progress in non-fiction recently.

I also write novels, screenplays, greeting card verse, CVs, reviews and opinion pieces.

I'm a writer, I write. That's who I am, that's what I do.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Fiction writer here. I don't tend to do nonfic since I'm not qualified enough in terms of either expertise on a subject, or having anything interesting enough to say. (My personal blog entries are mostly about the raccoons raiding our bird feeder. 'Nuff said.) If it's fiction then I have all kinds of things to say, plus I don't necessarily have to be an expert.

I'm not seeking publication though, so I'm not sure if my vote counts. I just post my stuff online.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I"ve been a fiction writer up to now, but I'm looking into non-fiction freelancing.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I couldn't possibly write something that was actually fact. Half the fun is making it up :) Even my blog is occasional ramblings of the inner mush that is my brain. Not fact, just ruminations. I might start with a fact, then I end up wittering on about nasal maggots.

ABekah

Registered
Reaction score
Currently? Walks over to check address book...Mar
Both, although I prefer writing fiction; short stories, poetry and novels. The nonfiction I enjoy the most is personal essays. I spent a lot of time in college and graduate school researching and writing nonfiction, and I don't really have a great desire to go back to it.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fiction. I'd dabble in non-fiction, but only in very specific areas. For now, though, I am sticking with fiction.

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
Both, although I write more non-fiction. I have too many interests to limit myself to one type of writing. Writing articles and essays is just as fun as writing fiction.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Both. Was always just fiction until I put together a non-fiction anthology (devotionals for writers) which just was released.

Also write columns for the Examiner and Spirt Led Writer, but really want to get focused on a new novel soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.