What's your favorite unusual dictionary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo Agie Flow

stream of consciousness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.minersdelightinn.com
I collect dictionaries, mainly ones I find in used book stores. My two favorites are

The Dictionary of Misinformation, Tom Burnam, 1975, Thomas Y. Crowell Co., NY, dubunks incorrect longstanding truths, quotations, and beliefs.

&

Dictionary of Last Words, Edward S. Le Comte, 1955, Philisophical Library, NY, offers accounts of many famous folks' last utterances.

So, what's your favorite dictionary?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's an online thing called "The Jargon File" that has grown over the decades, and has been edited and put into print in at least three editions as "The Hacker's Dictionary." This is the original meaning of the word hacker as it relates to computers, someone who enthusiastically learns all he can about computers and programming, as opposed to the meaning popularized by journalists and movies such as "War Games." These computer criminals might more properly be called crackers.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I like Ojibwa dictionaries. Not unusual, no, but unusual I guess if it's not the kind of thing you're into. I love learning new words in that language. It's just rather difficult given that there are numerous spelling systems!

Dream dictionaries are cool too, if they're of the symbolic kind (i. e., not the "If you dream of water it means you're going to take a long voyage!" type, blech), and if one remembers to take them with a grain of salt. (I can't stand how often people will say, "I dreamed of water last night and my dictionary says that means such-and-such, so that's what it means!" *sigh*) But aside from that, I love getting different ones and seeing how the symbols match up and could apply to my own writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.