Still doubtful if I should participate

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, I have been trying to ignore the whole thing, until I got an email saying that if I didn't join they would "go and get me" I... I don't know, it's an attractive challenge but I don't know if I should participate...

What makes you go and half-bake a novel in a month?

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
It' my first time. I don't know if I will be able to write a novel in a month but I'm going to try my very best. Even if I fail, I believe it will speed up and sharpen my novel wrting skills which must be a good thing.
Strangely, the plot/outline of my proposed novel is coming to me far more easily than others before it, I just hope I keep up the momentum! :)

PS Anything half-baked can be left in the oven a little longer until it turns into something worth having.;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reasons I did my first NaNo:

1) The challenge intrigued me
2) I wanted to try pantsing a novel (that didn't work--I had it planned by day three)
3) A minor character in the novel I had been writing for a year beforehand was nagging me for her own story a few days before NaNo started
4) After a year plus of writing the same novel, the idea of finishing a rough draft in a month was really attractive
5) I wanted to practice BIC and silencing the inner editor on my first drafts

Reasons I keep doing NaNo:

1) The community is so supportive and I had so much fun in the AW NaNoWriMo subforum (that first year especially)
2) Being consumed by the novel by writing it so fast/dedicatedly is thrilling
3) The plot twist that hits me 15 days in that's perfect
4) For me there's not much of a difference in editing between the NaNo novels and the ones I spend months on
5) The challenge and the bragging rights of winning
6) So far I've tried something new each time (pantsing it 1st year, non-YA 2nd year, sci-fi 3rd year)

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com
This is my first time and I'm trying it to because I'd like to actually try to finish a ms...even if it kind of sucks. If I can get major plot points down without my inner editor saying "fix that and that" so much that I never seem to get to "The End". I'm hoping to at least have a start at a beginning, middle and an end so I have something to work with :D

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing NaNoWriMo because I want to use it as an opportunity to start the first draft for my next novel and it's just enough of a challenge to get me to do that and really focus on it (instead of stopping every few chapters to go back and work on revisions for the previous novel which really needs to sit for a while). I'm also attracted by the community and it's a way to give myself a kick in the butt because although I'm always writing I'm not always living up to my potential in terms of writing as much as I could. I also find that I personally tend to write better when I write a little faster. Things flow better. The longer I take on a rough draft the more I tend to get in my own way, overanalyze things, and kill my own enthusiasm and creativity.

cdoctor13

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I originally did it for the challenge; can I do it? I did and it was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. I'll also echo what others have said: It helps motivate you, silences your inner editor and forces you to work.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Can I say why I'm not doing it? :) I think Nano is a great idea, but it's not for me. Here's why:

1) I have no problem finishing a first draft. It's the edits that kill me. I'd rather take a little more time, plan a little ahead, and not rush the first draft and hopefully save myself a dozen rewrites.
2) I have no problem churning out words when necessary.
3) All of my novels end up around 100K, which I'm happy with. Based on my writing speed, the most I'd be able to crank out in one month is 50K.
4) I know what projects I'm working on now and I know what I'll be doing next. Taking a whole month out of that schedule to write something rushed-- to me, that feels like a waste of time.

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
(deep breath here) - ok, I’m taking the plunge.

Having just returned from registering at NaNo, I wanna ask… is it ‘cheating’ to resurrect an old WIP and try whipping it into shape?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
My view: there's no such thing as cheating in NaNo if it helps you get closer to your writing goals.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having just returned from registering at NaNo, I wanna ask… is it ‘cheating’ to resurrect an old WIP and try whipping it into shape?

Depends. Are you going to rewrite it from scratch (not cheating) or edit existing text (cheating)?

But really, Nano is what you make it. The "rules" say you must start fresh on November 1, but no one's checking up on you to make sure you do that. You won't be abducted by guilt monkeys and thrown into the pokey because you choose to spend November working on an already-in-progess story instead of something brand new.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Here's why I finally decided: What the heck.

I'm a new graduate, and NaNo usually fell around midterms. Not a good time to try to write. So, this is the first year I feel like I've got a real shot at it. I've got the time, and I have a new idea I'm fairly excited about.

I registered, but earlier considered not to. If I don't hit 50 then I don't, and it's no big deal. But it's worth a shot.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
The only cheating is of yourself and your writing.

NaNoWriMo is just a stimulus. Its how you spend the time that matters.

WRITE!

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
What makes you go and half-bake a novel in a month?

Personally, I always work better under pressure -- to put it bluntly, I only finish something when I write to a deadline :) I just enjoy working under pressure. And NaNo offers you this illusion of pressure, so it's challenging but still enjoyable.

So if you find it difficult to stick to your long-term writing goals, you might find it useful, too. If motivation is not a problem for you, then there's no reason you can't finish a first draft in a month (or two) under your own steam.

But then again, there's all this networking, sharing, feeling you're part of a team. It's cool!!!:PartySmil

Last edited: