• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Laurel Lane Publishing

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
they're asking for submissions for a series of books with the idea of answering 101 questions about... yatta yatta yatta.

no website up yet and they admit it, but the document they sent me included stats like 6% royalties off the jacket price; going up depending on what's sold.

anyone got an ear to the ground on this? They seem nice and new to the field, but...

*insert usual warning here*

anyone?
anyone?
Bueller?

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
they're asking for submissions for a series of books with the idea of answering 101 questions about... yatta yatta yatta.
*SNIPPED*
anyone?
anyone?
Bueller?

Good question. A similar inquiry was posted on another list I belong to--May 1. The writer had responded to a posted freelance job listing and been offered a chance to write a book for them for royalties only. Note: This was not a submission, but a job listing a freelance writer responded to.

So far, no one on that busy list has had any substantive information about the company.

So--
anyone?
anyone?

Mo

Last edited:

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
ah, must be the same response that I got - a PDF file outlining the project and all...

They offered her fifteen percent, no advance.
I'm sending her (but not the list) a link to this thread.

Mo

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
no website up yet and they admit it, but the document they sent me included stats like 6% royalties off the jacket price; going up depending on what's sold.
6% is a pretty crappy royalty.

I've gotten a couple of questions about these folks but can find no informaton. I'd love to see the document you received--could you forward to me at [email protected]? Thanks a million--

- Victoria

jxu27t

Any recent news?

I saw a posting for these publisher recently and was wondering if anyone ever determined their legitmacy...

Thanks--
J

LaurelLanePublishing

Hello - From Laurel Lane Publishing

Hi,

I noticed there were a number of questions and comments about our 101 Series project and thought it would be good to post a reply.

We have just released the first book in the series, "Questions Answered on Being an Interest Group Advocacy," by Kelly Keenan Trumpbour.

We have three books scheduled for release in October:

~Being an Accountant
~Working with Special Needs Children
~Getting Your First Job & Keeping IT!

There are another 14 books being prepared for the series for release over the next six months and we expect many more to be added to the project.

You can view these at www.laurellanepublishing.com. We are also about to release an updated Project Template (learned alot working on the first few releases).

Thank you for the interest and check us out at www.laurellanepublishing.com.

Thank You,

The Editors

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
LaurelLanePublishing said:
Hi,

I noticed there were a number of questions and comments about our 101 Series project and thought it would be good to post a reply.

We have just released the first book in the series, (SNIPPED)

It really wasn't necessary to send this exact message to me as a private message also. Our PM boxes have limited capacity and most of us who post in a thread, subscribe to the thread so that we can read any response _IN_ the thread.

Mo

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Laurel Lane Media, Print & Publishing

http://www.laurellanepublishing.com/About_The_101_Series_s/113.htm

Interesting concept for a series, although its credibility would depend upon the expertise of each author.

3. Do you use P.O.D. or Off-Set Printing?

We use both. Most publishing houses (even the giants) use On-Demand printing for certain releases. We make the decision on whether to print many copies and hold an inventory or to keep the release printed one at a time according to a number of factors, such as:

a. Release Subject Matter (more general releases usually receive higher initial print volume.)

b. Author Cooperation. This is actually an enormous part of professional publishing. Given that our authors are for the most part working professionals, we do not expect a great deal of marketing support from them after the title is released. However, for those that show an interest in promoting their book (TO THE READING PUBLIC - we do not expect or encourage your friends and family to purchase copies), we can expect greater sales, making larger prints acceptable.

c. Economic Factors. The cost to print fluctuates. Depending on current pricing, some titles will be printed in larger runs, others kept on-demand.
7. How exactly do the royalties work?

Our standard contract gives 6 -15% on the gross sales of every copy for first time authors. Repeat authors are dealt with on a case by case basis. The schedule works as such: 6% on the first 2000 copies sold. 8% on copies 2001 - 4000. 10% on additional copies. 15 % on any copy (whether its the first or number 10,000 sold through the Author Incentive Program.) Our author incentive program was designed to reward authors for promoting their work. We provide complete details with our standard contract, but here are the basics. Laurel Lane uses a number of distribution channels. We provide each author with a code that they can distribute through any means (speaking engagements, interviews, newsletters - any way they like - we also provide marketing materials). Whenever that code is used, we pay 15% royalty on the purchase and donate a portion of the proceeds to the non-profit professional organization specified by the author. Our author incentive program is designed to make it attractive for Professional Organizations and the authors that contribute to take part.
The test will be whether these books are stocked in stores.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's down. According to Amazon, LL published five books; the last in July 2007.