PDA

View Full Version : Help me name a Chinese gang

hammerklavier
10-18-2008, 12:53 AM
I need a name (in English) for a Chinese gang or "Triad". Best be a ficticious name. It should sound somewhat ominous, somewhat obscure and should have a recognizable Chinese quality. In my story the gang operates in Seattle but has direct ties to mainland China. Thanks!

My attempts seem a little cheesy, so I won't share them here.

IceCreamEmpress
10-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Do you mean a triad, a tong, or a street gang? They're three different kinds of organization.

hammerklavier
10-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Definately a triad.

Kitty Pryde
10-18-2008, 01:23 AM
some good inspiration here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_criminal_organizations)...

IceCreamEmpress
10-18-2008, 01:36 AM
The real triads don't have particularly scary names: the name of the Sun Yee On triad, for instance, means "New Righteousness and Harmony," while the Chuen Li Pang triad's name means "United Bamboo Group." There is another triad always referred to as "Big Circle Gang" in the Western press--I don't know if that is an accurate translation of its name or not.

So pretty much whatever you come up with will probably be fine.

chevbrock
10-21-2008, 05:17 AM
If you want it to sound out and out obvious, just by the name, that it is a Chinese triad, I would suggest slipping something in the name referrring to dragons, lions, red, the numbers nine or eight.

As mentioned above, most of these gangs have fairly innocent-sounding names in reality. I forgot to mention the number three above - der! Maybe, "Three cloud gang" - White and fluffy!

MelancholyMan
10-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Black Orchids - Orchids are associated with beauty.

Mah Jong Priests - when they're not killing people and selling drugs they play Mah Jong and pretend to be wise.

Red Haiku - The leader often speaks in haiku. (Of course haiku is Japanese...)

Yang-Yang - As opposed to Yin-Yang. Yang is the aggressive masculine side. Symbol is an all black Yin-Yang.

Yin-Yin - Yin is the soft, feminine side so we've got a contrast thing going.

Yang-Yang-Gang - Okay, I'm kidding.

rtilryarms
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
the most feared gang in China's recent history was led by an american man named Michael Phelps. It was called Cha Ching!

Seriously, the only gang I ever researched was White Lotus Society. I was considering having my own protag being taught by them but I decided on another tack.
Still it does show that names were not really intended to be sinister as the triads of today were born of the rebels of yesteryears who fought ruthless dynasties. The white lotus society for instance was a mixture of religeous and martial arts most of which became banned. Hence the creation of a bandit gang.

So pick something sounding serene and give a quick bio of it's history and voila - er I can't spell that in China - you got yerself a gang by golly.