Do clothes make the man?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
We hear that a lot, and I admit, most men should never take off their clothes or wear skimpy swimming trunks...

Anyway, I'm a sloppy dresser. Mostly just T-shirts and jeans and sneakers, etc. I own like three pairs of shoes, and that's all, and I find myself wearing the same things over and over again (especially pants) because I think I look good in them. I'm in good shape but I tend to hide behind sloppy clothes unless I'm trying to impress someone.

But every time I wear a jacket or a button-down shirt or something (even casually), people always say, "What's the occasion? What do you dress up for?" I often just blank out -- huh? Oh, it's the jacket. But somehow, people find me more "presentable," if you will. Perhaps because I tend to wear sloppily that they notice?

But if clothes make the man, why aren't we men care more about fashion? And why does men's fashion seem to stay about the same -- just a lot of recycling? Why we men don't care much about how we look when simply putting on a sport jacket would work like a charm?

Ray, writing at Starbucks in a gray T-shirt and jeans

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I do care how I look.

<--- (Despite all evidence to the contrary)

It's everyone else that doesn't seem to care how I look. :)

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can wear anything you want, Sweets. You would make it. Somehow you make cotton look softer and more cuddlier.

How do you do that?

Was this thread about Ray?

We should make this Ray day.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Turkey cares about fashion more than I do. And I think he is hawt!

I think that clothes can reflect a bit of your personality. Like men, women are attracted to confidence. So, if a man feels confident and sexy in his clothes, then others will see him that way too.

Of course... wearing nothing is a great option!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not one to answer this question. Mostly because I depressed the hell out of myself answering the "what's your worst feature?" thread.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm slovenly.

But it's a neat, planned slovenly. :)

But I'll tell you what, I don't know if clothes make the man, or if they impress the opposite sex at al, but what I do know is, if I'm in a nice taylored suit, I think I look good and I think I project that in how I walk and act.

And if I'm in a uniform, double that feeling.

*peeks to see if he still has the cute cuddly avvie*

Gah! But right now I feel like an overweight little red cartoon character. :(

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But some men do care about their appearence and put great effort into how they look, Metrosexuals. I don't get the whole men eyebrow waxing, having manicures and pedicures, etc. I'm a woman and I never get a manicure or pedicure but I guess if that's what they like :e2shrug:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't get the whole men eyebrow waxing, having manicures and pedicures, etc. I'm a woman and I never get a manicure or pedicure but I guess if that's what they like :e2shrug:

I think it has to do with confidence, and also a competitive edge. When I was working/living in New York, I noticed that men get manicures all the time, especially the suits. I guess they constantly have to project this confident, savvy business image that they can't afford to have ugly, unkept nails. They have to shake the hands of CEOs and celebrities. :) Plus, hey, I like a nice spa treatment and feel pampered, too. I think it's about time men get to enjoy the luxury with their hard-earned money. ;) A nice sports massage followed by a manicure. Yup, that's good life.

And Ed, I agree. Sometimes it's about self-confidence and how we carry ourselves. I know when I'm all dressed up, I project myself different. I don't slouch as much and I feel good about how I look. And self-confidence is contagious; people gravitate toward you. It's a good feeling (unless, of course, you don't want the attention at all).... Perhaps that's why I am sloppy most of the time -- I want to be anonymous, inconspicuous.

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
There is a place downtown that caters to men. They have sexy looking hair stylists, offer beer, and have sports playing on the tvs. The guys can get a full treatment, hair cut, shave, brows, and even a head and neck massage.

(No wonder Mr. Turkey gets a haircut all the time!)

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
If I'm not wearing tee shirt and jeans then I'm wearing tee shirt and cut-off jeans.

That be me. Oh! And cheap slip-on canvas tennies. Since no one has anything I want I see no reason to impress.

Nor am I impressed by apperence. If you don't stink or leave a dirt trail on the floor you're cool with me.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"How does he dress? What kind of car does he drive? Is he at the breaking crest of all new trend-waves?"

"Naw. He's just a real nice guy. You know, a loser."

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
As long as it's reasonably neat, clean and fits the guy's body and personality, it's all good. Wearing sweats tighter than your girlfriend's leggings tied under your belly because they won't go over it never works. Even if that same girlfriend said you "couldn't go wrong wearing black."

Don't ask me how I know this....

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
why don't men care more about fashion?

Most women (representing my own little shrieking harpy demographic, anyway) find it much more, ah, seemly, when men do not trifle with such things.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clean and neat clothing (jeans, tees, whatever) are just fine, imo. It's not sloppy, imo.

My hubby looks good wearing that stuff (which is all he wears when not at work), but when he's wearing a suit and tie? *faints* It doesn't hurt that he's like 6'2, bald, and just hawt, in general. He's also extremely confident and energetic...he attracts people that way. The suit just amplifies the effect.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't gotten a haircut or shaved in <garbled in transmission> years for two reasons:

1) People have said they prefer how I look with the longish hair and beard.
b. I just too danged lazy to be bothered.

(Though I think I need to start tending to the eyebrows. We're talking Ernest Borgnine proportions here, folks!)