Agent did the work, won't call the pubs

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
I was honored to get an agent a year ago to represent my non-fiction book. This agent was able to get my book to 50 A-list pubs. About 25 rejected it over the course of 4 months. Now it's 8 months later...a full year since submission, and 25 pubs still have it and have not responded.

Agent will not call or reach out to pubs. The agent recommends against it, but after a full year, I feel like my agent should be more proactive. Is it really such a no-no to call a publisher to find out one year later if they looked at a proposal that they requested? We know most of those folks completely forgot they even have it on their desks. They might even feel badly that they forgot about it and pay attention.

The other thing is the year is up on my contract w/the agent and I'm really wondering. Who knows, agent might not review either. Yes, it takes time, but this is nuts. Or, I'm going nuts.

elroy

Last edited:

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Er...your agent sent to 50 pubs. At once?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Yeah...sorry, but this doesn't sound right at all. I can't think of 50 publishers any one work is good for; I have never heard of an agent blanket-submitting to 50 publishers at once.

And it's part of the agent's job to follow up. My own agent called the editors who had my ms every couple of weeks (or was in touch by email, or whatever). That's what they're supposed to do.

Not to mention waiting a year to hear back on an agented submission does not bode well at all for your agent's reputation. Your agent should have enough juice and enough sales ability that editors make their mss priorities; yes, I've heard up to 3-6 months can be common, but after 6-9 months I'd be wondering if my agent had the necessary connections.

Editors shouldn't feel confident that your agent's submissions are things they can safely ignore.

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
wow...that's 2 good comments right quick, so thanks. As for the 50 all at once, I took that as a good sign. They were all interested so what's wrong with that? But what the hell do I know? As for Dec. Quinn's comments, cold hard reality that it is, it jibes with my thoughts. I've felt that way all along. Sure you don't want to bother them, but you ought to be able to call them. The problem now is, I've spent a year, the MS is sitting in all of these pubs joints and who ever would take me on now and have to wallow through that...am i now toxic unpubllished writer? ? ugh...dubl ugh

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
To have 25 editors, out of 50, not respond to your agent after a year, is a bit unusual. Actually, it's a whole lot unusual. I could see eight or ten that might need a nudge, but a full 25?

Like the others have said, if this was a blitz mailing, or resembled spam in any fashion, then I could see it. I would suggest looking up your agent here in the Bewares section and finding out a bit more about him/her. Could very well be that this agent is clueless. And, certainly, no contact for that amount of time with you is a huge red flag.

Tri

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
This is not, in my experience, how legitimate agents do business. Blanket submitting to 50 publishers? Refusing to follow up with publishers?

Have you checked this agent out on the Bewares and Background Checks thread here? Because this just doesn't sound even remotely professional to me.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to what DecemberQuinn, triceretops, and IceCreamEmpress said.

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
This agent actually is legit, represents some famous authors and is not in the Bewares section. I did the research. When I talked to some published writer friends, they said the usual, "it takes time, good to know a lot of pubs were interested, blah blah." Also, the agent forwarded me email responses from pubs with their comments and they all sounded familiar to the agent, "Great to hear from you...How was your summer, etc, etc." But time marches on and after a while, I couldn't stand it.

I also don't think she "spammed" them. These were all legit pubs who requested to see the MS in a series of waves over 3 weeks. About 5 or 10 rejected it within the first weeks.

The rest is a moot point b/c, unless one of these pubs surfaces and buys it, the contract is up and I'm prob. not going to renew. What do I do now?? I have the list of pubs that asked to see the work,m, but not actual editors names. help?

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Facts are facts. I think it's going to very difficult to find another agent to represent you. Any interested party will want to know who represented you before, why you terminated the contract, and most important, to which publishers your work was submitted. When you tell them of the 50, you are dramatically cutting down on their pool of sources, and it also waves a red flag, causing them wonder why your work was rejected by so many.

Of course, where acceptable, you could submit a query directly to publishers. Problems there are that most only accept queries from agents and those that do take forever to answer -- and if read most often done by an assistant or first reader of some sort. You can't (or shouldn't) resubmit to the 50 already visited by your agent since it'll probably be a waste of time. Most every publisher keeps archival records of works already submitted to them and rejected, or whatever. Changing the title may help with a couple of the 50, but only a couple. Editors and their assistants or first readers usually remember the core of something they have read which sends them to their archives.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
The agent should give you the names of the editors if you ask. Again, that's info you're entitled to. Not just publishers, but editors.

I'd PM Victoria with the agent's name and let her know, really, because this just doesn't sound right.

Danthia

I don't know how non-fiction works compared to fiction, but this seems like a rough situation. 50 non-fiction editors may or may not be a typical sampling. It wouldn't be for fiction, but non-fiction has a broader scope, doesn't it?

It sounds like your agent sent out everything, got a lot of rejections, and gave up on the project. Have you discussed this with your agent? What did they say? Are they talking to you about a new book? Do you have a new book in the works?

If you have nothing new to submit, and the last project didn't sell, it's possible the contract won't be renewed. But if you have new work and your agent is excited about that new project, then it's likely you would be renewed.

I'd talk to your agent if you haven't already. Agents should be in your corner, and you should be able to talk to them about any concerns you have. If you can't, and you're frustrated about how your submission went, then maybe not being renewed is a blessing.

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help everyone. I'm going to talk to my agent, which I haven't done much (although we email regularly). Someone mentioned that I should PM to "Victoria." Who is that?

It's probably not clear to everyone, but I'm not entirely clueless and did the due diligence. I did have some faith and tried to behave myself without badgering the agent. I severed ties with another agent after a short 4 months partly b/c she felt I was calling too much. I'm also still bullish that this book has a life, since I know that it's gotten in the door to some pubs who have just forgotten about it. I'm just crazy that way...hopeful.

Thanks again all!

Danthia

Victoria is Victoria Strauss, and author who is very involved on this board and is one of the trio who runs the "Writers Beware" blog and site.

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm finding out the agent will not share the names of the contacts she has at each publisher. I was hoping, if we didn't renew AND I find a new agent, I could ask the new agent to follow up. She claims this is proprietary information she can't share. Is it? Is it legal? She's explaining that she didn't spam these people and that she only dealt with particular editors who requeested to see the MS after initially she contacted them.

How pathetic is this? I sent a PM to Victoria...no word yet.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
Now I'm finding out the agent will not share the names of the contacts she has at each publisher. I was hoping, if we didn't renew AND I find a new agent, I could ask the new agent to follow up.

Bad idea IMHO. If I'm understanding this correctly, you want potential new agent to follow up on old agent's submissions. That would mean you'd owe commission to both agents.

More experienced writers, please correct me if I'm wrong -- which I'm sure I am more often than I'd like to be. ;)

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
Elroy, how did the situation end with your agent?

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you managed to find a new agent. This is really sucky.

Last edited:

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Elroy, you should read this blog post (and forward it to your agent, IMO).

This is an amazing post. And I'm sure things have only gotten worse since October '08. Everyone who's afraid of bothering their agent by communicating too much ought to reconsider their strategy.