Anyone Know of Any Reputable YA/Childrens Fiction Contests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niggle by Leaf

I'm in the middle of a search for a reputable YA/childrens short fiction contest, preferably with a deadline in the first half of 2005. After staring at Google pages for some time (as well as following up the useful links mentioned in this forum), I thought I'd take a break by asking if anyone hear can recommend any suitable contests.

An open childrens/YA anthology with a deadline in the first half of 2005 would also be of interest, if such a rare beast exists.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any pointers. *heads back to Google for another round of Creative Keyword Construction 8o *

Stephanie

Re: Anyone Know of Any Reputable YA/Childrens Fiction Contes

This has an earlier sub date, but may otherwise fit the bill:

CONTEMPORARY ISSUES: YA FICTION CONTEST
www.childrenswriter.com/
---
NO ENTRY FEE TO SUBSCRIBERS / $10 FOR NONSUBSCRIBERS
Entry period is August 1, 2004 to October 31, 2004. Winners are announced in the March 2005 issue of Children's Writer. Prize structure is $500 for 1st place plus publication in Children's Writer, $250 for 2nd place, and $100 for 3rd, 4th, and 5th places. A story on an important contemporary issue for teenagers, 12 and up, to 1,200 words. The winner will be selected for its appeal to the interests, sensitivities, and needs of young adults and how well character and plot work together.

Yeshanu

Hi, Niggle.

I don't know about any contests, but have you thought about magazines? I'm looking at Cricket for one of my stories.

cluelessspicycinnamon

anthologiesonline.com might have some listings. Usually I think it tends to be religious and adult, but you may find some children's and YA.

Niggle by Leaf

Thanks everyone. I'm afraid the October deadline is just too soon for us Stephanie, but I'll keep that contest in mind for next year.

I've checked out the anthologies link, thanks Hannah (so glad I didn't have to address you as "clueless"). There's nothing suitable there at present, but it looks like a useful site.

And I'll definitely check out Cricket magazine, thanks Yeshanu. I'm looking for something for a group writing project, so need something with a deadline to concentrate people's minds. But a magazine or journal with fixed submission periods would fit the bill as well.

cluelessspicycinnamon

www.ralan.com has listings for fantasy/sf anthologies and magazines. I don't know if you're interested in that, but it's worth checking out, I guess.

Stephanie

Niggle Leaf,

Here are the details for the yearly Highlights contest. I submitted last year but was rejected (very nicely, with a handwritten note from the co-ordinating editor). It's a tough one: there were over 2,000 entries in 2004.

Fiction Contest
Highlights for Children 2005 FICTION CONTEST Guidelines

SUBMISSIONS:

Editorial material for consideration should be sent to: Highlights for Children, Editorial Department, 803 Church Street, Honesdale, PA 18431.
Telephone inquiries should be made to (570) 253-1080. We prefer not to receive submissions electronically.

GENERAL GUIDELINES

CATEGORY: Funny stories that have fewer than 500 words

PRIZES: Three prizes of $1,000 each.

ENTRY DATES: All entries must be postmarked between January 1 and February 28, 2005.

CRITERIA: We are seeking stories for children from 2 to 12. Stories should have fewer than 500 words. Indicate the word count in the upper right-hand corner of the first page of your manuscript.

No crime, violence, or derogatory humor.

Manuscripts or envelopes should be clearly marked for Fiction Contest. Those not so marked will be considered as regular submissions to Highlights.

Enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope with each entry. No entry form or fee is required.

Work from both published and unpublished authors is welcome. All submissions must be previously unpublished.

*Entrants must be at least sixteen years old.

SEND ENTRIES TO: FICTION CONTEST

Highlights for Children
803 Church Street
Honesdale, PA 18431

WINNERS: The three winning entries will be announced in June of 2005. These stories will become the property of Highlights for Children and will be published by Highlights. All other submissions will be considered for purchase by Highlights. Manuscripts not purchased will be returned in June with a list of the winners.

*We are sorry that we cannot consider work from children under the age of sixteen for the contest. Young writers are welcome to submit their work for consideration elsewhere in the magazine.

Niggle by Leaf

Thanks so much, Stephanie. That could be just the thing I'm looking for. (Sorry for the delay in acknowledging - it's been a while since I could get here.)

:)

Niggle by Leaf

Thanks, Stephanie. We've got our project started now, but I'll let the participants know about this additional contest. :)

Stephanie

Here's another contest (free entry with $100 prize) that may be of interest - especially because it's got 3 categories: Youth, Adult, and Professional Writers.

Details:www.idahomagazine.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.