can I ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscuridad

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks, this is a bit cheeky as I haven't been around for a while (life has been a bit of a rollercoaster just lately, let's say). But anyhoo. I need a quotation - a Bible quotation for a fervent Christain to say to someone he believes is destined for hell for doing bad things (not really bad, just everyday bad). And this is the tricky part. I need a misunderstanding as a plot point, so the quotation needs to be one that someone with a knowledge of Scripture would interpret as advisory, and that the someone without that knowldege would interpret as threatening or ill-intended.

Does that make sense? Please feel free to ignore this is you find it innapproriate or distasteful.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Based on your description, the individual with the supposed knowledge of scripture would be the one full of misunderstanding for telling someone they were going to hell for bad behavior.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Based on your description, the individual with the supposed knowledge of scripture would be the one full of misunderstanding for telling someone they were going to hell for bad behavior.

Quoted for truth. Bad behavior isn't what sends a person to hell. There's only one thing that does.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Quoted for truth. Bad behavior isn't what sends a person to hell. There's only one thing that does.

And if you ask me, it was taking that second right turn back at Orrego Pass.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks, this is a bit cheeky as I haven't been around for a while (life has been a bit of a rollercoaster just lately, let's say). But anyhoo. I need a quotation - a Bible quotation for a fervent Christain to say to someone he believes is destined for hell for doing bad things (not really bad, just everyday bad). And this is the tricky part. I need a misunderstanding as a plot point, so the quotation needs to be one that someone with a knowledge of Scripture would interpret as advisory, and that the someone without that knowldege would interpret as threatening or ill-intended.

Does that make sense? Please feel free to ignore this is you find it innapproriate or distasteful.
Well, there's Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Similarly for Romans 8:13 "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live."

Now, if the Christian were to quote just the first part (of either one), believing the rest to be understood, it might be construed as threatening.

oscuridad

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Roger - that is exactly what I failed to communicate effectively. Something well intentioned that assumes a similar level of knowledge in the person the quote is aimed at.

That is perfect.

Thanks again.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I think Galatians 6:7 might also serve: "Be not deceived: God is not mocked; for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." (KJV)

Obviously this can refer to the good a believer sows as well as the less laudable issues, and applies equally to all God's children, believers or not. But I've heard my mother fire up at this one, in a case of (deliberately?) misunderstanding.

HTH.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I need a quotation - a Bible quotation for a fervent Christain to say to someone he believes is destined for hell for doing bad things (not really bad, just everyday bad).

Well, there's Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Similarly for Romans 8:13 "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live."

Now, if the Christian were to quote just the first part (of either one), believing the rest to be understood, it might be construed as threatening.

My question would be though that you asked about hell and those quotes are about (or at least could also be understood to be about) mere physical death.

By "hell" I only assumed you meant "eternal suffering" etc ... but so might an audience?

As for offering a better quote, naw mang, I got nuthin' ...

Most worldly sins can be repented of, yes? Repent and sin no more etc ...

"Hell" in your question's sense is tricky to find quotes on, because some folks would say that Scripture has few passages that specifically condemn mortal humans to eternal hellish suffering (as opposed to merciful, if lamentable, extinction) imo

Status
Not open for further replies.