PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Rose Liqueur

jennontheisland
10-16-2008, 06:01 AM
I had to buy it.

I love liqueur, and I love the idea of eating flowers.

But, sipping it chilled just doesn't seem to be doing it justice. I'm thinking it would be good as an ingredient in a dark chocolate ganache or cake. Maybe a white chocolate somethingorother....

I dunno.

What would you do with a sweet floral liqueur?

jennontheisland
10-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Wow. No one??

Bubastes
10-19-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm intrigued. What does it taste like straight?

truelyana
10-19-2008, 05:42 AM
What about in roast duck?

Williebee
10-19-2008, 05:57 AM
Ice Cream?

Haggis
10-19-2008, 05:59 AM
I had to buy it.

I love liqueur, and I love the idea of eating flowers.

But, sipping it chilled just doesn't seem to be doing it justice. I'm thinking it would be good as an ingredient in a dark chocolate ganache or cake. Maybe a white chocolate somethingorother....

I dunno.

What would you do with a sweet floral liqueur?

I'm thinking it might be a sweet addition to a light frosting on a white cake. I'm fairly certain it would get lost as a flavoring for meat or poultry.

Oh. And try sipping it unchilled. I think you'll get more of the floral scent that way.

truelyana
10-19-2008, 06:01 AM
I thought of roast duck to go with it, as it feels good as a sauce over a roast duck...mmmm. (Especially for Christmas-can you wait that long?)

Haggis
Ice Cream?

Oh, yeah. There's a thought. Maybe with some honey too.

Bubastes
Baklava? I use rose water in the syrup for my baklava. Maybe rose liqueur would be a neat twist.

ETA: this is off the wall, but how about dunking donut holes in the liqueur? Sounds like sacrilege, I know. My mind's spinning free, that's all.

Haggis
10-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Baklava? I use rose water in the syrup for my baklava. Maybe rose liqueur would be a neat twist.

ETA: this is off the wall, but how about dunking donut holes in the liqueur? Sounds like sacrilege, I know. My mind's spinning free, that's all.

I'd forgotten. Yes, I've had baklava with rose water. It's wonderful. Not being a baker, I've never tried to make it.

eta: and I've never had rose liquor. I wonder how different that is.

Haggis
10-19-2008, 06:11 AM

Oh, and one more thing. Donut holes. That leads me to tiramisu. How about lady fingers and rose liquor? Might work.

GeorgeK
10-20-2008, 07:43 PM
in a flambee to finish off fried banannas

jennifer75
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Wow. No one??

Yea, you may be alone on the "eating of flowers". hehehe.

I imagine its a baking/cooking element, not to be chugged.

jennifer75
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
What about in roast duck?

Gaaaaaaaaaawd you know how to make my mouth water.

jennontheisland
10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Oh yay!

These are awesome ideas. it's sweet and floral, kinda like those soap candies.

I'm loving the tiramisu idea...I'm thinking with white chocolate.

Or the baklava, with pistachios. And I have phillo in the freezer!

I also found a recipe for a ricotta ice cream with pistachios and dried cherries that calls for amaretto...I'm thinking I'll try it in there too.

Thanks everyone! These got my brian moving!

vixey
10-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Turkish delight is also made with rose water. It's a jellied type of candy that's easy to make. The liqueur might work there, too.

Bubastes
10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Try putting it in (or on) vanilla ice cream! I had a rose ice cream several years ago, and it was heavenly. When I inhaled while eating the ice cream, the rose scent wafted through my sinuses. Amazing stuff.

CatSlave
10-29-2008, 04:02 AM
A sort of martini or gimlet "up" (not "on the rocks"):

Top shelf gin or vodka over ice in a shaker, a splash both of dry vermouth and Rose's lime juice, and a splash of rose liqueur.

Stir vigorously until chilled, strain into chilled martini stemmed glass, garnish with several rose petals.

Voila!

cooeedownunder
10-29-2008, 05:19 AM
It will go ok in a plain gelatine, and you could serve it with fresh fruit.

Haggis
10-29-2008, 06:19 AM
A sort of martini or gimlet "up" (not "on the rocks"):

Top shelf gin or vodka over ice in a shaker, a splash both of dry vermouth and Rose's lime juice, and a splash of rose liqueur.

Stir vigorously until chilled, strain into chilled martini stemmed glass, garnish with several rose petals.

Voila!

That actually sounds quite delicious.

jennontheisland
10-29-2008, 06:21 AM
That actually sounds quite delicious.
It does! I've got some good vodka, and a lime too!

Haggis
10-29-2008, 06:23 AM
It does! I've got some good vodka, and a lime too!

Add some sugar, then. Rose's Lime Juice is quite sweet.

jennontheisland
10-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Add some sugar, then. Rose's Lime Juice is quite sweet.

Will do!

I'll try these on the weekend!

Thanks everyone!

jennontheisland
11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Well, I have found my new favorite drink!

Vodka, rose liqueur, and the lime cordial, in a martini glass with a sugared rim! Holy is that yummy!

I also mixed the liqueur with lemonade, made pink lemonade. Served that one in a champagne flute.

I had a very fun weekend. :)