Cinnamon-Chocolate Pound Cake & Brown-Sugar Rum Pound Cake

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
This is my all time favorite cake in the world and I'm baking it today for a friend. I thought I would share the recipe. I have no idea where it came from, I got it from my mother years ago.

Chocolate Cinnamon Pound Cake

1 cup butter softened
2½ cup sugar
5 large eggs
3 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup cocoa
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

cream butter, add sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa, and cinnamon. Mix alternately with milk just to blend. Add vanilla. Grease pan.

Bake at 325º 70 minutes, check with toothpick. Cool 15 minutes.

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
OoOo My mouth is watering just reading recipe- What size pan do you use? I never made a pound cake before.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bundt pans come in many sizes, from little multiple hole ones like cupcake pans to slightly bigger cupcakes, and on up. IIRC, it should say somewhere on the pan what size it is. 4 cup, 6 cup, 8 cup, etc.

And the recipe sounds yummy, and I have printed it out.

MM:Cake:

Deleted member 42

You could use loaf pans; I'd split it between two, personally. But a bundt or "tube pan," if you've inherited granny's bakeware, would be way more betterer.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It's a big bundt pan..... oh and I forgot, it's non stick and I butter it. I used to use this spray stuff, but I like butter better. Once it's cool, I sift powdered sugar over the top. It's a lovely cake. And smells wonderful.

(I also have a Rum Pound Cake, dark Jamaican Rum.... oh my dear it's good)

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Here ya' go.....

Rum Brown-sugar Pound Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1½ cups butter, softened
1 box(lb) brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs, room temperature
¾ cup milk
¼ cup dark rum
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt Pan. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together; set aside. Beat butter in mixer bowl until light. Gradually add sugars and continue beating until very light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine milk, rum, and vanilla; add to batter alternately with dry ingredients, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Fold in nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 30 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely. Wrap and store at room temperature overnight before serving.

:D I love this cake too. The better the rum you use, the better the cake. I've made it with light rum (because that's all I had), spiced rum, and dark rum. Dark Rum gives it an almost caramel taste.

Oh, and same pan for this one so it's a 12cupper for the Cinnamon Chocolate Pound Cake.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. They both sound so crazy good. I have loads of company coming this weekend. Maybe I'll make one of these for Sunday Brunch. Yum.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
You could use loaf pans; I'd split it between two, personally. But a bundt or "tube pan," if you've inherited granny's bakeware, would be way more betterer.

Lisa, did you just say, "way more betterer"???? :tongue

I'm drooling just reading the recipe. Definitely gonna give this a try.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! The Man is making this today while I'm at work. I'll be having it for dessert tonight!

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
You guys are very welcome. I've never been a great cook, but I love to bake. In fact.... I ended up having to make another cake because I had to cut the one I already made. I called to me.

Oh, you can also make a powdered sugar-chocolate glaze to dribble over it, but I just like powdered sugar on top.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, is that chocolate one awesome! Despite the 3 cups (all there was in my house) of sugar, it doesn't seem that sweet. It's got a wonderful, dense spongey texture, and the outside has a delicious crisp edge. He only cooked it for about 65 minutes though.

And we had it with vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I need to change the time on my recipe. I cut 20 minutes off both times. The 90 may have been left over from when I lived in Colorado, but I cooked it 90 last August. Oven fluctuations?

If you moved, altitude may have something to do with it too, I think.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
IIRC, water boils at a lower temperature at high altitude, so you need a longer cooking time than at sea level.