What are they called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the little books are called that one finds near the grocery checkouts? The ones I can think of right off are usually horoscopes or recipes. . .something like that & are usually about 3"x4" or 3"x3" in size.

Also would love to know if you've done one, which publisher you used, etc.

TashaGoddard

Away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
I believe the general term is 'gift books', but perhaps you are looking for a more specific term?

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, Tasha. I tried "gift books" in my search engine but only come up with things like diaries, journals, scrapbooks, that sort of thing.

Also tried "pocket books" but came up with paperbacks. Guess I need to just purchase one next time I'm in the grocery store and see if I can find a publisher listed on it anywhere. I see them all the time near the checkout stands. . .little trivia books, horoscopes, etc. About the size of a baseball rule book or smaller. I looked in a book section at Walmart yesterday and they aren't even put with the other books. Then I forgot to look when I got to the checkout stand. :Smack:

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hi Fern,

I know exactly what you're talking about but can't remember what they're called! Next time you see one, look for the publisher's name inside or on the back cover. There should be a company name, address, or web site. Use that info to contact them for guidelines.

I've done this before and received guidelines, a pay scale, etc. The company I contacted bought all rights. Unfortunately I don't have the guidelines any more or I'd be glad to share them with you. Anyway, look for that info and then give them a shout for guidelines. Good luck. :)

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Anne! I'll do that.

MOON GODDESS

Registered
Reaction score
Called What????

I remember being interested in these type of publications myself, and the one I picked up was called a "Mini Mag."
Hope that helps.

MOON GODDESS

Registered
Reaction score
For Anne

Congratulations on getting your book about conures published. Barrons is quite an accomplishment.
It struck me while I was reading your info, that you would make a good candidate to interview, to help your fellow writers here and elsewhere, get some idea of how you started and progressed, or if you could just post much of the info yourself.
Happy writing!

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Mini Mags! That's it!! I had a brain freeze and totally couldn't remember what I'd heard them called. Thanks for posting that, Moon. And thanks, too, for your nice comments! If you want to interview me, just let me know. I'm available. :)

And Mac, awwww. *blush* YOU rock! :D

MOON GODDESS

Registered
Reaction score
Mini mags, interviews etc.

I wish I could interview you Anne, but I am busy with a rather involved project at the moment, here's hoping to read about you elsewhere.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Mini Mags contact info

Want to write for guidelines? Here's the mailing address:

American Media Mini Mags, Inc.
1000 American Media Way
Boca Raton, Florida 33464-1000

Customer service telephone: 866-624-7264
Customer service e-mail: minicustomerservice @ amilink.com (remove spaces)

Don't know how helpful the customer service info will be, but decided to throw it in anyway. :D

Fern

Registered
Reaction score

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
How lucrative of a market is this? I have a few ideas....

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the Link, biotales.

koheuther, I don't know how lucrative it is, but I hope to find out. I had an idea for one a good while back, but just didn't have a clue where to begin with it. If I have any luck I'll post back here.

tcv

Registered
Reaction score
awatkins said:
American Media Mini Mags, Inc.
1000 American Media Way
Boca Raton, Florida 33464-1000

Hmmmm... isn't that the place where the anthrax first surfaced?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it was their old building. I think that's why they moved to American Media Way. I've had fillers in The Sun, so I remember that. It was really awful and sad.

Last edited:

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, they're mini mags. And they are distributed by the local/regional magazine distributors, rather than through book distribution channels. Unlike magazines and tabloids, they stay on sale pretty much forever.

[I only know this because I used to work for a software company that provided distribution systems for wholes magazine and book distributors.]

Status
Not open for further replies.