Help! I am addicted to querying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Please, help me cut down or stop altogether - I can't stop sending out queries! I am so excited about my proposal and book idea that I just know all those wonderful agents will be, too.

But what happens when they all say "Gimme, gimme"?

So how many queries do you have out there at any one time? How many is too many?
(If it makes a difference, my book is nonfiction and a couple of the queries have the proposal included, as per submission guidelines.)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I've seen threads where people have got multiple offers from agents, which worked great for them: giving them the opportunity to settle on the best one, though it was probably pretty stressful till the smoke cleared. Good luck.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Go go go, Mark. The more submissions you make the more chance there is of hitting the right agent for your work.

And it's lovely to hear you're so enthusiastic about your project. If you love it, chances are someone else will.

Loadsa luck.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I send my queries out in small batches with the theory that I'll see how the query letter, partial, etc. is working out and if it needs revising. But I've learned that sometimes agents don't respond *at all* so that system isn't perfect.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
This is a good addiction. Like being addicted to water. The worst thing that can happen is you get multiple offers. How terrible. :D

I guess that's true, it just seems like at some point I have "too many" out there. I'm just not sure what number that would be though, or even why. I suppose as long as I'm not sending out after giving people exclusives, maybe I'm okay.

TheAntar

Registered
Reaction score
The down side would be 'burning' potential markets. Let's say you sent out 20 queries, got no positives so went back and revised, then sent 20 more. The new 20, well, they'd be better. By the time you've sent out 5 batches, those first 20 were basically a waste because of how much stronger your query is now than it was then.

But otherwise, I don't see a down side.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with having too many agent queries out at one time is that you probably simultaneously queried some of your most desired agents and some at the bottom of your list. Lets assume that you get an offer of representation today from an agent near the bottom of your list. Do you accept it when you haven't yet heard from your A or B list of agents? I would have preferred you query all your A agents and then after 4-6 weeks, if no positive response, start sending out to your B list and so on. But what's done is done. I wish you all the best.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning batches of five-ten at a time. Then I'll wait two-three weeks, chew over any responses, and send another batch. Obviously my way is the best, because it's mine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.