Quick FULL SUB question - help

Adam Hammonds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adam-hammonds.com
(Sorry mods, I didn't quite know where to put this.)

I'm dropping off a full sub to an agent here in NY who does not mention and did not request exclusivity. I do have one other agent reading the full at the moment, and three others reading partials.

My question is: do I mention the others in the cover letter? and how?

Thanks so much. This forum is a life raft.

- Adam

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I would say, as long as an exclusive was not requested, then no you don't need to inform them of the other subs you have out.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Unless the agent asks if you have other submissions out elsewhere (and I've had a few do that), there's no need to mention it. It's always assumed that you're casting your net widely.

Adam Hammonds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adam-hammonds.com
Thanks for your response, sheadakota.

I read on Anne Mini's blog that mentioning the other agents reading it could actually be beneficial: stirs up interest, urgency, etc. Should that tactical decision be in play here?

Could it hurt to include it? Come across as rude or pushy at all?

- Adam

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Or it could actually make them think they don't want to get into a "beauty contest" and set the work aside; or it could mean if after a week has passed and you haven't informed them of an offer, they decide nobody else wants it so why should they...

I wouldn't tell them unless they ask. :)

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everything December Quinn said. In my completely novice opinion, I would hold back the information unless specifically asked for it. I think this is very much a don't ask - don't tell sort of situation.

Adam Hammonds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adam-hammonds.com
Excellent points I hadn't yet thought of . . . Don't tell it is.

I knew it would happen: I asked a question at AW and within a couple hours I got it helpfully and logically answered. Thanks guys.

- Adam

Danthia

I told agents other agents were also reading the full. I felt it was a matter of courtesy, and then they could prioritize as they saw fit.

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
You're not really "dropping it off" are you? Pls tell me you mean you're dropping it in the mail, not at their door. "Stopping by" an agent's office is a big no-no.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I actually have a question about that. I understand why agents don't want authors dropping by for all the obvious reasons, but here's the thing. I lived in the same neighbourhood, coincidentally, as my agent back in England. The cost of postage, plus the lack of guarantee that the MS would arrive at all was enough for me to consider it would be wiser for me to simply walk it over. And os I did. I simply rang the door bell, explained that it was a requested full and handed it to the assistant with my thanks, and then I turned and left. I stayed on the doorstep, made it very obvious I was not staying to chat, and that was it.

Maybe this was the worst possible faux pas ever made, but to me it always comes back to the being thoughtful thing. Agents don't want you stopping by because they are terrified you are going to engage them in conversation. If however you make it abundantly clear that the only reason you are dropping it off in person is because it is easier all round, and if you DO NOT stay and chat, I don't see the big issue.

Well it didn't hurt me any at any rate.

Adam Hammonds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adam-hammonds.com
Iheartwriting --

he told me it was perfectly fine; just handed it to assistant as soon as I got off the elevator, pirouetted, and slipped back into elevator.

toothpaste --

good to hear.

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
Glad it worked out for you Adam and Toothpaste. Good luck!

I still think those agents must be the exception to the rule because I've sat in on a number of agent panels where they've said over and over to never, ever drop off a manuscript.