Your Fave Health Resources

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chocmoon.wordpress.com
Hello. I didn't see a thread exactly like this already, so here goes.

So far in my writing I've focused on specific topics, which haven't included as much health-related articles. However, I want to get into that topic. I will focus on women's health.

Where do you go for ideas on health-related topics? What is your favorite source for health-related press releases? I visit EurekAlert already. Favorite health blogs?

I'm wanting to start out with shorter articles and blog posts and work up from there. Any thoughts on where you get your inspiration, insight, etc for health articles would be welcome.

I'm not really talking about sources for interviews here so much as lots of reliable places to go for jumping off.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
You can aso try the NY Times, every Tuesday they have the science section. Pretty good.

JMcIntosh

Registered
Reaction score
I favor anything with ".gov" over ".com"
Not that there isn't value in commercial health sites, but I don't have room for anyone's commercial agenda when dealing with health issues.
Along those lines, I'm with treehugger on the NIH sites. CDC is also nice.

Liska

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizoksbooks.blogspot.com
Moonslice,

A lot of my writing has been health-related, though I've always written on assignment rather than pitching stories, so I tend to use health sites as reference materials.

I've used all the sites people mention here and also particularly like MayoClinic.com. I use the Merck Manual a lot, too; it's now available online. PubMed is also helpful... I could probably go on and on!

Anyway, good luck!

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Liska, it's great the Merck Manual is now online and apparently free. :)

Spacekadet, of course I want to know about blogs like yours too! Especially if I get my own health blog. It's nice to have blogger friends in like subjects.

Liska

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizoksbooks.blogspot.com
Moonslice, I was thrilled to find the updated Merck online. My old book is fine for some things but the newer, searchable online version is great.

Spacekadet, thank you for plugging your blog. I appreciate the reminder about kale and will definitely visit again!

Last edited:

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Great sites everyone! (I'm new to this so they are helpful to me too! :))

Well, to tell the truth I haven't written any health articles yet, but when I did research for myself or friends, I went to sites with forums for people with that problem & looked at what they were saying - what seemed to work, what not... & then googled up things that came up in conversation etc.

Of course you need the more reliable sources too... to back up these.. but frankly I'd get lost in the myriads of info if not told by people with similar problems some of the things that worked for them.. :)
So, just an idea :)

Oh, & books.. call me oldfashioned, but I still find some info in books too - re: health & nutrition as well.. :)

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote for Healthbolt for almost a year and I loved the New York Times, Women's Health Magazine site, MSNBC and CNN.com to find potential topics online.

I also got LOTS of ideas from Woman's World print magazine. They have tons of great jumping-off ideas and the mag is only $1.79 a pop. Great resource!

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I wrote for Healthbolt for almost a year and I loved the New York Times, Women's Health Magazine site, MSNBC and CNN.com to find potential topics online.

I also got LOTS of ideas from Woman's World print magazine. They have tons of great jumping-off ideas and the mag is only $1.79 a pop. Great resource!

Sorry to see you leave HB. : (

I'm addicted to CNN and do find lots of great stories there. I haven't thought of Women's World though. Thanks.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to see you leave HB. : (

I'm addicted to CNN and do find lots of great stories there. I haven't thought of Women's World though. Thanks.

Awww, thanks. :) It was just time to leave, yanno? A great experience it was, though.

Good luck with your quest. Keep us posted!!