PDA

View Full Version : Att Canadians: Voting Day!!!

crazynance
10-14-2008, 10:30 PM
I hope you all got out, or timezone dependent, are getting out to make your choice of who will run the country. My Nanna exhorts you to take advantage of this amazing privilege!

Yeshanu
10-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for starting the thread, crazynance. But according to the ballot I x'd this morning, you're missing about a dozen parties, including (I kid you not) the "Radical Marijuana" party. There should have been an "other" option--could you change the poll?

Lady Cat
10-14-2008, 11:50 PM
It's too bad we Canadians don't have an Orlando Bloom option. I'd vote for him! :D

James81
10-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Them crazy Canadians. Always trying to get a leg up on the U.S. I mean, first they get Thanksgiving day in a month early, and elections too? Come on, Canada. I mean, come on.

Chumplet
10-15-2008, 04:36 AM
It's too cold to vote or have Thanksgiving dinner in November.

zenwriter
10-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Looks like we have a stronger minority Conservative government. For those AWers who are stateside -- do the US news channels cover our election at all? I ask because my local news station was headed to the US to see how much Americans had heard about our election. I didn't end up watching the actual news story and now I'm curious.

L M Ashton
10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I didn't vote.

I can't. Legally. Combining being a non-resident over five years with no intention of returning, and I am not allowed to vote.

Does this mean I'm now without a country? I can't vote anywhere...

James81
10-15-2008, 04:16 PM
I didn't vote.

I can't. Legally. Combining being a non-resident over five years with no intention of returning, and I am not allowed to vote.

Come to Ohio my sister. They will accept you there.

Sheryl Nantus
10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
I didn't vote.

I'm with you, sister... danged rules!

:(

and the worst of it is that I get harassed in TWO countries by election stuff.

blech.

crazynance
10-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey, I got more US interest in this poll than Canadian.. that is certainly representative in itself! Less than 6 out of 10 voters hit the polls. At least go, and mark your ballot with one big X. At least they'll know you came out!

Pagey's_Girl
10-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Y'all got it over with, at least - I still have just under three weeks of listening to the guys in the office arguing politics. Of course, after the elsection it's going to be all gloating and grumbling one way or the other....

Oh well, I shall defend to the death their right to annoy the crap outta me with this stuff. :)

Storyteller5
10-15-2008, 10:17 PM
How disappointing to hear that only 59% of eligible voters cast a ballot. I did vote although I must say I voted for the candidate and not the party. Sad to see $300M spent on an election campaign that put us back in the same situation as before. Okay, yes, Harper has a stronger minority but still. Wasteful dollars.

crazynance
10-16-2008, 05:37 PM
How disappointing to hear that only 59% of eligible voters cast a ballot. I did vote although I must say I voted for the candidate and not the party. Sad to see $300M spent on an election campaign that put us back in the same situation as before. Okay, yes, Harper has a stronger minority but still. Wasteful dollars.

What's bizarre is that when I spoke to my brother, he said this was higher than average turnout! Which is REALLY disgusting.

I voted for the party, not the candidate. I feel voting is very important, and nature hates a vacuum, and if we don't put someone in office, someone will put themselves in office... [*serious music: duh duh DUH duh...*]

If you don't like the candidates enough to vote for them, then get up there yourself! Or convince someone you think would be good to get up there.
Don't just sit around moaning!

Storyteller5
10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
What's bizarre is that when I spoke to my brother, he said this was higher than average turnout! Which is REALLY disgusting.

No, he has it backwards. This was the lowest voter turnout.