PDA

View Full Version : in lieu of flowers

Shadow_Ferret
10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm in a morbid mood. Entertain me.

If you died, instead of flowers, what would you rather have done?

Do you have a favorite charity you'd like people to donate to?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Pets and People, no-kill shelter in Yukon, OK. And for goodness sake, no coffins, no memorial service, no waste of money. Cremate me, stick me in an appropriately-sized Campbell's soup can, and save me 'til Ol' Boy dies, then do the same to him and mix us together... or vice-versa, if he goes first. We'd like to be sprinkled over Monarch Pass in Colorado. kthnxbai!

qwerty
10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Before my mother died, she requested family flowers only and, otherwise, donations to the Save the Children fund.

She had eight children who she knew would want to mark her funeral with the flowers she loved. Others who knew her understood and respected her wish to help children less fortunate and loved than her own.

And I agree with what OFG said when it comes to my turn.

jennontheisland
10-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Cremate me and make me a diamond. Cash to The Suzuki Foundation if you've got some to spare.

CaroGirl
10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Instead of flowers, I would like everyone to do the following: ride a unicycle, eat escargot, listen to one ABBA song of their choice, buy a muffin and give it to a homeless person, donate 10 hours of their time (not necessarily consecutively) to the local food bank, tell someone they love them, and smile at one stranger every day for one month.

WendyNYC
10-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I have an irrational fear of being buried alive. Watching Kill Bill didn't help. And yes, I know all about the embalming process. Still. Cremate me, grind me into hamburger, whatever. Just please, no coffins.

Oh, and donate to Equality Now.

TrainofThought
10-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Donate to one of the below and play my iPod at the wake and funeral.

American Campaign for Prevention of Child Abuse and Family Violence
Diabetes Research Institute Foundation, Inc.
Greater Chicago Food Depository
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
St. Jude Children's Research

mscelina
10-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I've had this in my will for a long time.

Ten hours of donated time to the local AIDS charity in my name.

regdog
10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I've already made plans with one of my relatives

No funeral just pop me in a box and bury me. Donate to any of these MSCPA, Feed The Children, Heifer International, ASPCA,

BenPanced
10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Cremate me, throw my ashes in the major bodies of water in the cities where I've lived, sell all my belongings at a garage sale, and donate the money to AmFAR. Anything you can't sell, just donate it to Goodwill. Keep anything you want, though.

Kitrianna
10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Cremate me, scatter my ashes someplace with a view and throw a big ole party! At least I'm not suffering anymore.

Forgive me. Since I've almost died a few times over, death is no biggie to me. Celebrate my life and tell really tasteless stories about all the weird crap I did around you :)

Shadow_Ferret
10-14-2008, 09:47 PM
and tell really tasteless stories about all the weird crap I did around you :)
So , you don't want me to do anything different then, huh?

Kitrianna
10-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Not at all SF, not at all. :)

Ken
10-14-2008, 09:59 PM
wildlife organizations are always in need of loot. That's where I'd donate to.

MaryMumsy
10-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Donations to animal charities. No funeral. Scatter my ashes at my family's home in the mountains. Those who know me well enough will know when and where to show up for the margarita party.

MM

Appalachian Writer
10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
I like flowers, but then again, I've heard that death interfers with the olfactory senses. Maybe, if I had to pick a charity, the Multiple Sclerosis Society. My husband died of MS and if I went to my rest knowing that some few pennies related to me and my passing had helped find a cure, I'd rest easy.

As for how I'm put away? My name's already on the tombstone next to my husband's. I'd hate to waste the money I spent putting it there.

gypsyscarlett
10-15-2008, 08:09 AM
World Wildlife Fund, most definitely

Oh, and the Jimmy Fund. As a born-Bostonian, I can't leave them out. Very, very worthy cause.

Dawno
10-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Hospice. My mom died at home after a lingering terminal illness, it was a hospice center and their staff who visited her and helped my Dad, that got all of us through it.

JoNightshade
10-15-2008, 08:17 AM
www.freewheelchairmission.org

threedogpeople
10-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Everyone BYOB (so we are sure to have enough), play my favorite music, look at pictures of all the times we had fun, watch videos of all the great parties we had, everyone, get completely-totally smashed, get naked and enjoy the hot-tub. Laugh, sing, drink, dance, remember and cry (or laugh because 'ding dong the witch is dead':tongue')

Donate the pieces and parts that I've listed on my donor registration then cremate the rest. Spread my ashes at Zion National Park, Grand Canyon and dump the rest into the Pacific ocean.

As far as donations, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation in honor of my niece (we all hope that a cure is very close) and in honor of my grand-niece, the Tuberous Sclerosis Foundation, please. Tuberous sclerosis is a very rare genetic condition that can cause severe developmental disabilities and ultimately, death. Or, if you are a pet lover, to a sight hound rescue foundation.

Zoombie
10-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Landmine testing.

NeuroFizz
10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
St. Jude's Children's Hospital

DeleyanLee
10-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I've always fancied my estate would pay for a nice Irish wake (lots of potables available, good music, rowdy jokes and tales of what a dipshit I was--and hopefully pour a touch of whiskey into my ashes before internment) and any donations would probably go towards some literacy charity of my children's designation.

Unique
10-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Cremate me, roll me and smoke me.
Donate my assets to the Cherokee Nation.

crazynance
10-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I wanted to be buried in a cardboard box, but if you'd rather make a fort out of the box, just throw me in a hole.
Instead of buying flowers, write a poem or your favourite Bible verse or quote, use the flower money to adopt a pet! Lavish attention on them, and let them love you.

vixey
10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Use what's left of my organs elsewhere, cremate the rest. Have massive party with lots of booze, music and laughter. NO memorial service. I hate eulogies. I'm going to heaven so people should be happy.

As for donations - March of Dimes and Heifer International

Cranky
10-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Cremation here, too, though I've only recently decided this. A memorial would be okay, so long as it's not overly sentimental. I want people to remember the good stuff without getting maudlin.

Donations to The Autism Society of America (local chapters, please) or the charity I hope to set up down the road to help autistic adults. Alternate/additional charity would be St. Jude's.

joyce
10-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Cremate me. I've threatened my family with a haunting if they bury me in some box or spend needless money on some elaborate service. Throw my remains in the backyard as far as I care. I want my friends and family to have a huge party to celebrate my weirdness. The only request I have is that my daughter play several of my favorite country songs to further irritate all my country music hating friends. If everyone ends up drunk and dancing, I'll be happy. :)

tiny
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Cremate me and take me home to Kansas. I want to be in the grove of trees out in the back field. Take whatever I have left and piece meal it out to whomever you come across that needs a little help, be it the man standing on the corner with a sign or the woman with kids who doesn't have enough to pay for her groceries.

Shadow_Ferret
10-15-2008, 10:20 PM
I want to be coated in clear polystyrene and just stood up by the front door so I can greet everyone.

And send money to the Milwaukee County Zoo or the ASPCA.

vixey
10-15-2008, 10:41 PM
I want to be coated in clear polystyrene and just stood up by the front door so I can greet everyone.

And send money to the Milwaukee County Zoo or the ASPCA.

Wouldn't it be easier to take you to a taxidermist?

robeiae
10-15-2008, 11:14 PM
I'd like a group hari-kari session performed in my honour.

DL Hegel
10-15-2008, 11:22 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_16.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762NUUS) A drunken bash with lots of food--and music(no rush)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxmk762NUUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb097_ZNxmk762NUUS&utm_id=7925)

sheadakota
10-15-2008, 11:27 PM
I have this in my will and have already told my husband- Cremate me- NO frikking funural- no wake/viewing. whateverthehell you call it. Big party, lots of booze, lots of laughing- celebrate my life- not my death- then sprinkle my ashes across the Appalchian mountains-

As far as donations- keep your money, I have never trusted that donations actually go where they say. Too many scams out there- put it in your child's college fund if you feel the need to do something. Or your grandchilds.

Shadow_Ferret
10-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Oh! Oh! I just remembered. I want a traditional burial, because as a veteran this one cemetary has a veteran's area...

anyway, I want an open casket, because you know, I plan on leaving a damned fine corpse, but I want this device under me with a trigger plate in front of the casket, so when people step on it, I rise out of the casket.

One last chance to get the last laugh.

Ageless Stranger
10-15-2008, 11:33 PM
No flowers. Just fire me off into space. I wanna scare some aliens. The WWF and Tiger Awareness can have any money I have at the time.

LaurieD
10-15-2008, 11:35 PM
It's cold and gloomy here today, so I'll play along with all of you - donate whatever of me is salvageable, cremate the rest, scatter me in a warmer section of the Atlantic.

In lieu of flowers donate whatever you wish to St Judes.

Do what you will with my stuff - there's nothing to squabble over

TerzaRima
10-15-2008, 11:37 PM
In lieu of flowers, make donations to Partners in Health (http://www.pih.org/home.html) in Haiti. Or your local humane society. Or both.

Williebee
10-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Cremate me and blow my ashes out to sea.

Flowers? You got ten bucks to spend? Go buy lunch for someone you've never met.