PDA

View Full Version : What books are you supposedly reading?

Bravo
10-14-2008, 06:15 AM
and what books have you supposedly read?

ever have those books that you tell people you're reading, but in reality, you haven't opened it in a month or even a year?

or that book that you have sitting on your shelf looking fancy and impressive but which you dont really like or didn't bother reading?

i am supposedly reading "gang leader for a day", looks like a great book, everyone tells me that it's a great book, but i havent read a page of it yet.

just havent gotten around to it.

i have also supposedly read dr. faustus but the reality is that i only read what i needed for a high school test, then forgot about it. same thing with silas marner and a few other books on my shelf.

so what about you?

anything you're supposedly reading?

TerzaRima
10-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Saturday by Ian McEwan. My BFF loved it. One of my old professors told me to read it. One of my colleagues told me it changed his life. So WTF?

I'm trying, but reading McEwan just depletes all the serotonin from my brain. Atonement made me sad like a sad Lassie movie.

maxmordon
10-14-2008, 06:35 AM
The Chinese Wall by Franz Kafka.

It has been over three months since I opened and franky, I don't have idea where it is

katiemac
10-14-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm supposedly reading The Prestige, The Yiddish Policeman's Union and The Gun Seller because I finished my last book and have scanned page one of the others to see what I want to start next. I picked up a graphic novel instead.

I have supposedly read Huck Finn, but I think I missed that week in high school.

Clair Dickson
10-14-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm supposed to be reading all the cozy mysteries my parents love. Every time I mention that I'm reading a new mystery, they get all excited and start listing their authors.

I've not yet agreed to it. I try to tell them that I have no interest in cozy mysteries (I like mine with sex and violence, please.) But they don't seem to be able to remember from one week to the next. Or make the connection between the stuff I write and the sort of stuff I would likely read... ah well.

Williebee
10-14-2008, 07:11 AM
The Historian. I tried, really. But it was just soooo slow.

Who knows, it might be wonderful. It took me three tries to read LOTR, and now I love it.

MissKris
10-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Baldwin's The Tiger Claw. It's about Noor Inayat Khan, who is very interesting to me, but I just can't seem to get past the third chapter.

BenPanced
10-14-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm supposed to be reading The Golden Compass but after three tries starting it, I've lost track of the story and the book itself. It's around here...somewhere (*makes a vague wave in the general direction of the books*).

I've supposedly read The Yearling but I seem to be suffering from suppressed false memory and don't recall a thing about it.

Joycecwilliams
10-14-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm suppose to be reading The Dictionary. :)

Seriously I won a canvas tote bag of books, back in August... Three of them are signed. I haven't touched a one.

How can you read a book, and write one at the same time?

JoNightshade
10-14-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm supposed to be reading a book which I won't name, but that my Grandmother procured from wherever they sell Sappy Books With Horrifically Trite Plots For Little Old Ladies*. Because I'm "the writer" I get passed every sort of book one or another of my family members thinks I'll like. Whatever their criteria for "liking" is doesn't seem to actually involve quality. I'm also "reading" a number of devotional books. Yes, it's true I am a Christian, but so far nobody has gotten the message that I don't do devotionals. I get my spiritual fix directly from the Bible, kthxbai.

*And whatever Grandma passes along, I am REQUIRED to read, because she is, after all, Grandma.

Shady Lane
10-14-2008, 08:02 AM
If I haven't read the first three acts of Romeo and Juliet by 8 o'clock tomorrow, I'm gonna be in sooooo much trouble.

siiiiiigh

Yeshanu
10-14-2008, 08:45 AM
If I haven't read the first three acts of Romeo and Juliet by 8 o'clock tomorrow, I'm gonna be in sooooo much trouble.

siiiiiigh

You'd best get to it then, Shady. Here, it's almost one a.m. Time's a-wastin.

jennifer75
10-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Though this contradicts my own WHAT ARE YOU READING thread...I'll answer because this question cracks me up...

I am one of those guilty of "supposedly reading" a book... I've been "reading" Eat Pray Love since May...Memorial Day Weekend to be exact. Then I picked up Diablo Cody's Stripper book. And where is that book? Under my passenger car seat. I haven't picked it up in 2 months. I'm so busy! I can't help it! I want to read, I really want to read, I just don't have time!!!!!

Now, go check out my WHAT ARE YOU READING THREAD and post there! Bah Humbug on "supposedly reading!!!!!"

Ha!

Beach Bunny
10-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Oh jeez, that list is so long and varied that I would use up all of AW's bandwidth if I posted the list. :o

Bravo
10-14-2008, 08:54 AM

siiiiiigh

www.sparknotes.com

you're welcome.

Priene
10-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Finnegans bloody Wake. I've been at it off and on and mainly off since February. I'm a complete James Joyce fanboy, but there are times when I despair about that book and the man himself.

Ageless Stranger
10-14-2008, 12:47 PM
The Origin Of Species.

Darwin should've added more sex and violence. The pacing is pretty poor too.

ErylRavenwell
10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Unnatural Exposure by Patricia Cornwell. Took me a month! and now I hate Cornwell with a vengeance. I like the macabre atmosphere pervading the book but, really, what the hell with all the unnecessary technical details and boring characters and plot. I need to read Jane Eyre again for a change.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-14-2008, 04:02 PM
'A Breath of Snow and Ashes', Diana Gabaldon. Yeah... I loved the first two or three in that series... but GAH!tm Let 'em die already! And take Roger and Brianna with 'em, when they go!

Pagey's_Girl
10-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Dune. It's the kind of book I normally love, should love, feel like I should be totally getting into - but I just can't get my dim little brain around Frank Herbert's writing style.

I did love David Lynch's version of it though - Kyle McLaughlinand Sting in a loincloth and - did I just say that out loud? Oooooops....

underthecity
10-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Clive Cussler's Flood Tide. This was lent to me months ago by a coworker, and I'm just now getting around to reading it. I think what's interesting about his writing style is his segue from character to character. Other authors use paragraph breaks, Cussler has no transition, character 1 POV is in this paragraph, character 2 POV is in the next. I guess he makes it work. Can't argue with his success.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying it very much.

Shadow_Ferret
10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm not "supposed" to be reading anything. My days of being forced to read something are over.

BUt I do have a list of books about as long as my arm that I"m somewhere in the middle of.

regdog
10-14-2008, 05:33 PM
'A Breath of Snow and Ashes', Diana Gabaldon. Yeah... I loved the first two or three in that series... but GAH!tm Let 'em die already! And take Roger and Brianna with 'em, when they go!

This one and the Fiery Cross were both 300 pages too long.

As for what I'm supposed to be reading honestly I forget, but I know the book is here somewhere

Mela
10-14-2008, 05:58 PM
It took me a while to get into WICKED - like a year after a friend gave it to me - but then I fell in love with the writing and finally finished it this past July. I have a list of fantasy books to read in line with my own WIP, but I haven't been able to get to the library or the book store - been so busy.

I'm now supposedly reading Elizabeth the Great - I took it down the shore with me in August, read like 10 pages, and it's been leaning against the book shelf since.

maestrowork
10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Too many to mention (including some AWers' books :o ) I still haven't finished Children of Men. Trying to work on Nicole Mone's The Last Chinese Chef.

I just don't read a lot of fiction when I'm in active writing mode.

mscelina
10-14-2008, 06:07 PM
*sigh*

The Bible. AGAIN.