PDA

View Full Version : static cat...

tiny
10-14-2008, 04:05 AM
I have a problem...

My poor kitten Benny has developed a static issue (yes I laughed when I realized it). I can't figure out why other than the air is terrible dry right now and we have a nice wool rug. He gets very upset and starts running around after he rubs on my leg or I touch him and give him a zap accidentally.

He runs, jumps, and licks his sides. This goes on for about ten minutes at a time. If I try to touch him he bites. Last night I had to wet him down with a wash cloth to stop it. Could I rub him with a dryer sheet or something?

TheIT
10-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Longhaired cat? Maybe ask at the pet store whether they have "fur conditioner" which could cut down the static. Perhaps a spray or something used for detangling?

I'd be careful of something like a dryer sheet since it might be poisonous to cats. Remember anything you put on him, he'll lick off when he grooms.

Good luck!

tiny
10-14-2008, 04:18 AM
He's short haired..... but I never thought about the dryer sheet being poisonous. Thank you. Poor thing is really stoved up, I feel bad for him.

Bubastes
10-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Maybe put a humidifier in the room?

poetinahat
10-14-2008, 04:28 AM
Get him little rubber bootees. That, or chuck him in the bath.

You're very welcome, TT.

Clair Dickson
10-14-2008, 04:31 AM
:ROFL:
Nothing useful to add, but that's funny!

Jersey Chick
10-14-2008, 04:37 AM
Hmm... if you rub him against the carpet really fast, and then press him against the wall, will he stick?

No? Okay, then I'd see about either a conditioner for the cat or a humidifier for the room.

(but i bet you're going to try sticking him to the wall later, aren't you? ;))

The same thing used to happen with our cat - we zapped her from mid-November until about mid-March - poor thing.

ETA - I went out a googled - Yahoo answers says dryer sheets are okay, but on another site, I found the answer that if you spray the carpet with an anti-static spray, that should do it as well. Just make sure the carpet's dry before Benny walks on it.

Here's the link (http://books.google.com/books?id=dVeVquc4BWAC&pg=PT86&lpg=PT86&dq=static+electricity+and+cats&source=web&ots=a84D9RHBYk&sig=7RmMyiQ8Mme0WaVGbFT0Rn2jldY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result)

Seems Benny's not the only staticky cat :D

TsukiRyoko
10-14-2008, 05:07 AM
A dryer sheet would work. Damp cloths work well too, but some cats are just too "static=y". Or you could put a conductor on her head )

Beach Bunny
10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Hmm... if you rub him against the carpet really fast, and then press him against the wall, will he stick?

No? Okay, then I'd see about either a conditioner for the cat or a humidifier for the room.

(but i bet you're going to try sticking him to the wall later, aren't you? ;))

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but the weight of even a small cat will overcome the coefficient of static friction. Just in case, anyone was thinking of trying it. :)

Bartholomew
10-14-2008, 09:37 AM
If you have a hard wood floor somewhere, you might consider confining it (for its own sanity) until the weather wets up. That or spritz it with water when it gets on the furniture. (My cat rubs up against chairs in the like, builds up her electric charge there, and then runs around zapping the dog, a veritable Feline Zeus.)

willfulone
10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I have nothing to add, for I got the same google info. But, I must say, thanks for the chuckle. I can so see this kitty running around mad like a hatter for such.

Good luck with the sheets and the static guard!

Christine

Jersey Chick
10-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but the weight of even a small cat will overcome the coefficient of static friction. Just in case, anyone was thinking of trying it. :)

spoil sport :tongue

;)

Haggis
10-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Hook the sucker up to the power grid and start raking in the dough. :D

cray
10-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a problem...

My poor kitten Benny has developed a static issue (yes I laughed when I realized it). I can't figure out why other than the air is terrible dry right now and we have a nice wool rug. He gets very upset and starts running around after he rubs on my leg or I touch him and give him a zap accidentally.

He runs, jumps, and licks his sides. This goes on for about ten minutes at a time. If I try to touch him he bites. Last night I had to wet him down with a wash cloth to stop it. Could I rub him with a dryer sheet or something?

hose him down a few times a day. :D

tiny
10-14-2008, 06:33 PM
:D Thanks guys.... Benny's running amuck and beating the hell out of all his toys. Poor thing's been puffy for the last two days... and he's not a puffy cat, he's a smooth cat (yes, there's a difference). I told him to stop dragging his feet but he just runs by and jazz hands me and runs off.

Dry season is here to stay in SoCal, so I'm stuck with a wet spring fresh smelling cat I guess. :D

(Oh, he sticks to the wall.... claws and a big wicker cat tree bolted there helps though)

Jersey Chick
10-14-2008, 06:56 PM
:D

I love the visual of rubbing the cat on the carpet and the **plunk** sticking him to the wall.

TsukiRyoko
10-14-2008, 07:38 PM
:D

I love the visual of rubbing the cat on the carpet and the **plunk** sticking him to the wall.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_8kXsPIEkJZI/RyHubcITX-I/AAAAAAAAAC8/BKcKrDKtyUs/s400/cat-+on-the-ceiling.jpg