Free Download - Access Database For Storing Your Notes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Thing

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody, Greetings from Waterford City in the south-east of Ireland.

I have developed a simple database in MS Access which I hope will be of some use to members of AbsoluteWrite.Com. I got the idea for the database when I read several threads on these boards from users asking about software for managing their note taking in an easy and efficient manner.

The database is comprised of four interconnected tables in a hierarchial design. In use these tables can be expanded or collapsed as required and this allows for a very efficient system in which to store your notes.

The primary key in each table is an incrementing autonumber, this field is required but has been set to 'Hidden' in each of the tables to avoid unwanted clutter. Each text field in the database is one hundred and fifty characters long.

I developed the database in Access 2003, but the format of the database is 'Office 2000'. It does not contain macros or code of any sort.

If you store your copy of the database on a USB flash drive you can carry your notes with you and access them on any computer running a compatible copy of Access.

Here are four screenshots showing how the database works:

MS_1.jpg

MS_2.jpg

MS_3.jpg

MS_4.jpg

The database itself can be downloaded from Here:

When you've downloaded the database you'll need WinZip or similar to uncompress the *.zip file. Once you've opened the database double click the 'Manuscripts' table to get started.

I hope somebody here will find a use for this, if so please let me know. I'd love to hear from you.

Regards,

The Th!ng.

Last edited:

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
That looks rather useful, actually.

But how come didn't let it have infinite pluses (+)? Let the user decide how many sub-categories he needs?

The Thing

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks, thank you all for your feedback.

Willowmound, to clarify things - in levels 1, 2, and 3 as depicted in the numbered screenshots in my original post the user does have the ability to create any number of entries at any of those levels in the database hierarchy.

It is only at level 4 that I imposed a (now temporary) limit as I did not think that there was a need for more than this level of sub-category / note-taking.

I will look into the possibility of giving the user the option to have as many sub-categories as they wish. This will involve the creation of tables programmaticaly through code on the fly as the user requests them and linking them to their parent table.

If this is not possible the other (and overall easier) option would be to add more tables to the database at design time and then re-upload it to my site. However, programmaticaly generating the tables is the more flexible of the two options and is my preferred route at this point in time.

I will investigate the possibilities and get back to you on this.

Thanks again for your feedback.

All the best for now.

Clio

In the mind warp pavilion
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Thing - fellow Access user here.

I've created databases in good old Access for my family history projects and the like - but this intrigues me. Are you inputting the data in each field in 'Data view', or have you created forms? And I presume you will make each notes field a 'memo' field?

You've given me an idea, you see. I can't download your version as I'm on 2007, but I can see the principle.

I suppose there's the opportunity to write queries on the data too? Might be a great idea to keep huge projects with a lot of research behind them in one place.

Can we take it to PM?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Bumped, because The Thing would like feedback, and I'd rather that stays in this thread and not others :)

Status
Not open for further replies.