Help a Neil Gaiman addict

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
A girl can re-read Neverwhere, American Gods, and Anansi Boys oh so many times! I am a complete Neil Gaiman addict, and have read EVERYTHING (yes, everything) that he has written. Unfortunately, he is not nearly prolific enough to satisfy me, so I need something to read while he comes up with his next masterpiece.

By the way, Gaiman was recommended to me several years ago by a friend who was tired of hearing how bummed I was by the dearth of Douglas Adams novels.

If you are like me, and have found other authors to satisfy your Gaiman needs, please send some recommendations my way.

Thanks!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
You haven't mentioned the Sandman graphic novels. Have you read those, too?

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
OK, have you also discovered Terry Pratchett? If you like Douglas Adams, you ought to like the Discworld novels, too. I'm working my way through those now.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed "Good Omens" thoroughly, but never go to the Discworld novels. I think I am overwhelmed by their quantity. I don't know where to begin. A suggested chronology from avid fans would be much appreciated.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed "Good Omens" thoroughly, but never go to the Discworld novels. I think I am overwhelmed by their quantity. I don't know where to begin. A suggested chronology from avid fans would be much appreciated.

Search for "Terry Pratchett" in this subforum. There are a couple of threads about him. Also, in the recent editions there's a chronology at the front of each book. That's the order I've been reading them in. The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic are the first two.

Enjoy!

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score

Douglas Adams has too few and Terry Pratchett has too many, eh? Try Pratchett. I'm an Adams fan too, and the two of them have a similar sense of humor. Also, don't be intimidated by the Discworld books. Just pick one up and read it. I don't think you even have to start at the beginning. I still haven't read the first book, and they all come together just fine for me.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
If you want to dissect Gaiman a little, try Harlan Ellison's Deathbird Stories. Gaiman credits that collection for inspiring American Gods.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Try one of these...

John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things
James P Blaylock's The Last Coin
Jonathan Lethem's As She Climbed Across the Table
Jonathan Carroll's...pretty much any of them as he's a similar writer to Gaiman in many ways. My favorite is Kissing the Beehive but you may find that his least Gaiman-esque.
Michael Marshall's The Intruders
China Mieville's King Rat reminded me much of Gaiman

Entropy Perk

solipsistically derealized
Registered
Reaction score
The most isolated capital city in the world
What about his other comics? Books of Magic, Hellblazer #30 (pretty sure thats it, a stand alone called, "Hold Me"), Black Orchid, Violent Cases, Signal to Noise, Mr. Punch, MirrorMask...and a bunch more. He has MG books as well, well worth getting.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
China Mieville has been on my list for a while. Thanks for the reminder! And I'll try to pick up the first few Discworld books. It certainly seems like my sort of thing, definitely, so I am not sure why I've put it off for so long!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
A few of the best Discworld books are Mort, Small Gods, Reaper Man, Hogfather and Monstrous Regiment.