Max Payne

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a pretty jaded view on video games turned movie (this thread will get to Max Payne eventually, promise).

Almost every awesome storyline in a video game that I've loved has been torn to shreds by rogue directors, and I would almost never buy a video game based on a movie.

Maybe this says something about the incompatibility of the two.

For example: Doom, the original game, never loses its playability to me. The story behind it doesn't quite match up with the graphic engine in terms of "coolness," but it was still fun to play. The story itself was I think more fun to learn about than playing the game. Doom 3 was a little closer, I think.

The movie was crap. The Rock? And why do directors feel the need to make movies exactly like the video game they're emulating? I don't particularly want to watch a movie in first person, thanks. Cheesefest and a half. And I think that movie lost all the darkness and evil that has to do with Doom.

Let's examine Silent Hill. Although I love Pitch Black as much for its silly sci-fi B-rated acting as for Richard Riddick's bad-assedness as a character, Radha Mitchell took cheesiness to a whole new level in this piece of crap movie. The dialog has always been stilted and awkward in Silent Hill (though I think that adds to the eeriness). I expected no less from the movie. But when Mitchell's character looked at the "map" and it "zoomed in" thus emulating the gameplay, it was over for me. Brilliant graphic work wasted on complete crap.

Thus comes Max Payne, based on the hit x-box/PC game about a dark comic-book type detective sucked into an underworld of drugs by the murder of his family.

My first thoughts of the trailer: awesome.

Despite Marky Mark.

Despite Celso's girlfriend.

Awesome.

But I've been burned before by these types of movies, and I can't help but be skeptical about this one. I certainly think the big screen can't make this movie PG13 and still keep with the sick shit from the video game, but maybe they can do what most other video game/cinematic hybrids failed to do: adopt the storyline of the game without a.) changing it drastically or b.) overdoing the geeky video game emulation type crap.

If they can do that, I'll shut up.

Wondering if anyone else is planning to see this movie and what you think of it/other video game movies.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sold. I'll be their opening night. Just hoping it turns out entertaining.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I want to see it, but it won't be opening night. I'll rely on y'all for the verdict. (I had to explain to my 17yo why the DH and I always call Wahlberg "Marky Mark." Darn that generation gap!:rolleyes:)

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget the atrocity that was the Mario Brothers...

Come on, maestrowork. Why didn't you like Mario Brothers? Because when I think Super Mario, I think pink ectoplasm snot and tiny heads and leather jackets and steel boots.

I think of all those things.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Super Mario Bros is the beginning of the end for Roland Joffe. I don't think any director in history (no, not even M. Night) fell off as hard as he did. How do you go from 2 Best Director nominations to Super Mario Bros, The Scarlett Letter and Captivity. It might be the most insane career derailment in Hollywood history...

Cato

Master of Puppets
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think Mark Wahlberg/Marky Mark is a great actor and extremely badass.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think Mark Wahlberg/Marky Mark is a great actor and extremely badass.

I absolutely hated him in The Happening.

Though I have liked him in a number of previous roles.

From the preview for Max Payne -- which, should be noted, is just a preview -- he falls into the role pretty seamlessly.

Just that clip where he's laughing in the falling snow is so badass, and how they're going to incorporate the gameplay slomo (which I think is okay since movies have used slomo successfully long before video games did) will be interesting.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Wahlberg was very good in Invincible, I have to say. And the Departed. He is badass.

Not entirely sure about Max Payne, though. I saw him at ComicCon and what they showed was okay.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
He was good in Invincible if you forgot that he was supposed to be an inner-city WOP. :roll: As an inner-city WOP myself, I couldn't get past this weenie white-bread accent-less actor NOT saying things like "youse" and "ay" and "madonna mia".

But yes, as a feel-good sports movie, Invincible did nearly everything right.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I think Mark is turning into a fine actor. I haven't played the Max Payne games but my hubby and son have. If I see the movie, it'll be with fresh eyes.

My kids rented that Mario Brothers movie from Blockbuster about twenty times. They shoulda just given it to my kids, because it paid for itself over and over again. They're college age and still looking for the DVD.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
My kids rented that Mario Brothers movie from Blockbuster about twenty times. They shoulda just given it to my kids, because it paid for itself over and over again. They're college age and still looking for the DVD.

:)

Click the smiley!

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
and how they're going to incorporate the gameplay slomo (which I think is okay since movies have used slomo successfully long before video games did) will be interesting.

Apparently (and i'm too full of pumpkin pie to find the link for this, canadian thanksgiving you know :) ) they invented a new camera process so they could actually film bullet time the way it is in the games.

I'm with JComp, I'll be there opening night. I didn't know they were making a movie of Max Payne and when I saw the trailer in the theatre and realized what it was I squeeled and clapped my hands in glee. my sister was embarassed. lol

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
I like Silent Hill pretty good and Mark Wahlberg is a great actor...but I probably won't be seeing Max Payne anyway. I have to say, though, that I didn't know it was a video game.

"Who're you?"
"I'm the guy that gets things done...you must be the other guy."

SirBiatch

Registered
Reaction score
This movie was a complete and utter shitfest.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen and had the anger of paying for.

THERE IS NO ACTION. How can you make a movie called "Max Payne" with 0.5% action, and then the 0.5% is lame, uninspired and low-budget?

I'm not even going to talk about the ridiculous nonscensical plot, garbage acting and crappy dialogue. If you don't think this movie is a shitfest, you will once you see how Jack Lupino dies. I'm not even putting a spoiler tag on that because I'm counting that you wont waste your time and money on this shit.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
This movie was a complete and utter shitfest.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen and had the anger of paying for.

THERE IS NO ACTION. How can you make a movie called "Max Payne" with 0.5% action, and then the 0.5% is lame, uninspired and low-budget?

I'm not even going to talk about the ridiculous nonscensical plot, garbage acting and crappy dialogue. If you don't think this movie is a shitfest, you will once you see how Jack Lupino dies. I'm not even putting a spoiler tag on that because I'm counting that you wont waste your time and money on this shit.

I liked the intro monologue. Then Whalberg was like, "hey yoos guys, I'm from New York big whoop wanna fight about it?" At that point I stopped hoping for a riveting film and watched the pretty bright lights.